Thread: H&M: Is This Crazy?

RedShoes Guest

Default H&M: Is This Crazy?

First of all, I would like to thank the Fearless Leader for this forum, I have learned so much here.

Now to my issue: I have decided to continue with my family room slipcovered furniture streak which has served me well for 20 years now. In the past I have had Ballard Designs Vintage Vogue and Club Furniture models. The Vintage Vogue was wonderful and lasted for 15 years before a helpful house guest broke the metal hide-a-bed system, but I bought it in the early 90's, and I'm not convinced I would get the same quality when purchasing today (additionally I no longer need the sleeper, so I'm favoring eight-way hand tied). The Club Furniture I have had for maybe five years, and it is ready to be hauled away, but I guess I paid what it was worth. Now I'm ready for the next go around, but at my age I would like this to be the last sofa and chair that I buy, I'm hoping to get another 15-20 years out of my next set. So here is where the crazy comes in (maybe): Is it possible to buy H&M fabric pieces made without any welts, piping, skirts etc., and have tailored slipcovers made for them, or should I just go with Quatrine, slipcovered pieces being their specialty? I love the H&M policy of free replacement cushions, that is their number one selling point for me. I don't yet know about Quatrine's policies. I am just starting my research and would appreciate any info or opinions.

Related note: If anyone knows of top quality slipcovered sofa manufacturers I would appreciate company names to research.

Default Re: H&M: Is This Crazy?

Hancock & Moore can make just about anything, but I don't think it would be cost effective to use them in a slip-cover arrangement, likely it would be pricey to do so. Of the makers I carry, I'd go to Taylor King, they have a slipcover program ready to go that you can read about here:

http://www.taylorking.com/PDF/Category/29.PDF

Sorry, I don't know about Quatrine....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

RedShoes Guest

Thanks so much FL! I will look into Taylor King.

RedShoes Guest

I am impressed with the Taylor King slipcover pieces, but I am wondering about the slips fabric. Are all the TK website fabrics available for slipcovers? When they sew the covers do they allow for some amount of shrinkage? Do I have to choose a "W" cleaning code, because these will be machine washed? (I have never understood why a 100% cotton upholstery fabric is rated an "S" and shouldn't get water on it. Just shrinkage?) Besides the basic build of the furniture, another reason I want to go for a high end maker is I am assuming the slips will be higher quality, as after washing my current slipcovers following manufacturer's directions, the pieces I have now look like they went through a terrific growth spurt. Is this a wrong assumption? Thanks again.

Yes, you can get ANY T.K. fabric made as a slipcover (limited to slipcover styles only). They have an entire price list for them by grade. For example in GR 12 or less:

Chair: $ 345
    Sofa: $ 533

Cleaning codes are due to shrinkage. If they tell you that you can use water/steam, and it shrinks, the you might demand they replace the cover or piece. So they play it safe and make them all "S" drycleaning fluids only. That way if you shrink it, its on you!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.