Hey guys, I have read a ton on here in the couple of weeks I have been on the forum and I am floored by the amount of knowledge you guys have! I have a piece built somewhere between 1890 and 1930 from the Crescent Furniture Co. made in "Warren Penna". I have found a couple dressers online but I can not for the life of me find anything similar to what I have. I have a Vanity or Dressing Table that had been kept in a wet basement. The piece itself had stick on wood over what I believe to be poplar wood under it. Because of the moisture, the wood sheets warped and had to be removed. When I removed it the wood under it was absolutely beautiful. I have been working on this for the past week and it has been one heck of a project.

I have 2 questions and I will take some pics in the next couple days to show progress..

#1. Am I taking away from the piece by removing the sheets of wood? I have left them on the drawers so the piece has a little something different and cool about it. I am also going to use an acid to remove just a little of the green tint on the left side, is that a mistake? Should I just leave it alone and keep with the early american stain I am using? I have done as much research as possible and because of the fact there is a lot of green wood, I believe it is poplar wood. I have read that some oak also has green tints to it as well but I have no idea, again pictures coming. It seems to be a hardwood, it is heavy and I am afraid I am ruining this by doing a complete redo on it.

#2. Does anyone have any information on this company? Or possibly a vanity or dresser made by them. From everything I have read, they opened in the late 1800s and liquidated sometime in the early 30s. Anyway, thank you very much for any input, this was my great grandmothers handed down to my mother who is now 66. It is still very solid despite being neglected for years! It does have the tag still on it on the back saying who made it and for whom it was made. It was made for Houghtaling Furniture Co. Canojaharie, NY. I just think it is a cool project and something fun to do for my mother. I believe it still even has the original stool with the original seat. I just wish I could find anything on Crescent Furniture co or Houghtaling Furniture Co. I would love to see some pictures of any other pieces made by this company. I have seen 2 which are easily googled and found, they both have the same type of wood stick on over a nicer wood under it in my opinion. Sorry about the novel, thank you for any information you can give me on this company.

Thanks,

Mike