Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I am more confused - HELP!!!

winnipb Guest

Default Now I am more confused - HELP!!!

Hi Duane;

Oh my goodness now I am so confused. I actually sat on a BY sofa today now I don't know what to do the back did not seem high enough. I am only 5' 4" and it seemed that it only went up to my shoulders I am sure because the bottom cushion is nice and thick. My husband is 5'7" and he did not like that it was not taller either in the back. I don't know I am wondering if the 927 Sectional could be taller in the back (so confused) but I did like a leather or 2 and guess what they were both Analine.

Here are the numbers tell me what you think and I believe they are in the grade 3 catagory: 9355-85A - 9355-84A (this one might be to light but not bad) and neither piece seemed to scratch like some of the other Analines. Another that was okay was a AP 9450-88AP this was nice feeling but I am not sure on the color if I remember that was more on the brown/burg side?

At first I felt bad at this store knowing I was just checking out leathers but then I didn't after a while because I was there for almost 3 hours and for a small store they really did not seem like they even wanted to help me then when I asked them a question or two they did not know what they were talking about - so thanks to you and BY answering my questions I talk this guy a few things that he did not know. Now do you see why I get fustrated with people selling furniture here and they are not even eduacated about what they are selling! So tell me what you think! Thanks Bev

winnipb Guest

Okay now my husband is thinking about the Flexsteel Chicago Sectional. When we first started looking at leather furniture we sat on the Flexsteel Chicago Reclining sofa and yes it was comfy but......not quite my style. I did not think this was going to be so difficult. Why is it that B Y's Seven Seas sectional has the high back and not there American Made. I don't know who is going to win this one me or my other half but I was thinking if and BIG IF we went with Flexsteel maybe he would let me get a BY recliner/rocking chair - do you think I can tie those two styles together? I know after reading your comments Duane that you aren't to keen on the Flexsteel right? I really need your opinion now! Thanks Bev

Hi Bev,

I was going to wait until Monday to reply to this, when I was back in the store and could pull the leather swatches, but it looks like you need a reply today!

Flexsteel is definitely several notches down from Bradington-Young and is a product that gives up hardwood frames for engineered plywood, gives up 8-way hand-tied springs for their 'blue steel' torsion spring, and the uses much cheaper upholstery foam and cushion cores than BY. To go from BY to Flexsteel is like going from steak to hamburger. I have to say, I don't like the Flexsteel Recliner Sectionals at all. I cringe when we used to deliver them, though customers seemed happy with them. I guess because the flaws and shortcuts they use just make themselves so apparent to me that its like nails on a blackboard. I have discontinued the brand as I lost faith in it. The last piece I had come in actually had a piece of foam over CARDBOARD - like poster board - for the entire back portion of the funtiure and over that went the leather cover. That was just ridiculous to put something out like that and expect any dealer with a shred of integrity to sell it to someone.

Seven Seas BY is junk. Sorry. I won't sell that. either.

As to comfort. Everyone knows I'm hesitant to recommend comfort on a piece, especially ones I've not tried out myself. It's just something you can guess at on dimensions and photos, but you may or may not like the end result. For higher back units however, stay in the 38" and up category for back height.

The all-time comfort champ for a sectional with recliners at the outboard stations is the Hancock and Moore Austin series, and it's built to last. Its going to be a long ways form the prices you see on the Flexsteel Chicago however, about double.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

winnipb Guest

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I am going to share this info with my husband since I am not the type to buy junk and he knows it. He hates that I take so long when it comes to buying things like this but he knows that I study everything. Have a good rest of the weekend and I will try to call tomorrow. Thanks Bev

winnipb Guest

Sorry but another question that my husband asked that I could not answer. He thinks maybe once the 927 Sectional has been broken in it wouldn't sit so high (do you know what I mean?). I showed him the H&M Austin but we don't really like that the arms look really low. The saga continues! Bev

They break in a little, but not all that much to where if you didn't like the sit in it originally, then you probably won't ever like it. BY is not adverse to light custom work, so if you really want a 1" or so drop in the seat height, or have 1" added to the cushion height, I can make some calls and see what can be done. If everything else is good with the 927, that might be the way to go.

B-Y's as a whole tend to sit deeper with more back angle than H&M. Not a hard and fast rule, of course, but a general difference between the two lines.

There are not a lot of choices in sectionals with recliners on the outboard stations, at least not in the brands I'm familiar with.
    Duane Collie

winnipb Guest

Do you think they can make the back a bit higher? My husband says he will not consider the flexsteel since he knows I am getting good advice from you. He wants me to be happy but at the same time he wants something that will be comfy to sit and relax on. I will try calling tomorrow. It is really busy this week at work so hopefully I get time to call or you can message me here. Thanks Bev

Spoke with BY this morning, they won't modify the height on the 927 sectional, sorry!

The 921 and 968 have taller backs than the 927, but I've not tried those in person and can't vouch for comfort, etc....

Duane
    Duane Collie

winnipb Guest

Thanks for asking. How much higher is the back on the other 2 models. The 921 looks nice but the other is to rounded looking. If the 921 is at least 2 inches higher that migh be okay. If so what do you think the price would be in the above leathers (let see if I can copy) it worked see below

Here are the numbers tell me what you think and I believe they are in the grade 3 catagory: 9355-85A - 9355-84A (this one might be to light but not bad) and neither piece seemed to scratch like some of the other Analines. Another that was okay was a AP 9450-88AP this was nice feeling but I am not sure on the color if I remember that was more on the brown/burg side?

Sorry I did not get a chance to call we are just swamped at work I will try to call this week when I get a free moment. Bev

winnipb Guest

If I am able to afford Hancock & Moore beside the September (which I know I can do price wise) but that has a low back. Without having to rob a bank which we be the next least expensive with a higher back than the B Y. I really think the H&M might be more comfy am I right? Bev