Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Point Market

<laughing> OK, I'll keep the order in on that one. It was a market special and I was able to order it in a class 3 burnished leather at a class 2 price provided it goes on display and not directly to a customer. It will sell on my floor as a grade 2 when it arrives, right at $ 2,195. It should be one that really knocks you out when you see it, very showy.

La-Z-Boy used to build a halfway decent product many years ago, but no more. It's a shame they chose to go the route they did, which is to build to a price point. It takes time for the word to get out on them and their build quality, but it eventually does and when that happens they will eventually go bust. They run very expensive real estate for their stores, so they have to have high margin sales to operate. That's why there is not much substance in the product.

If you ever make a trip to Hancock and Moore you'd be shocked at how little is spent on 'fancy' for their corporate office. They put it all into the product. They are so thrifty that when you go there you won't find a sign on the building. You kind of figure out that you're in the right place as there is a big white generic building with about 30 semis from furniture haulers waiting for their loads. First time I went there I drove around the building three times looking for the executive offices Well, they're aren't any. Just one door with a sign that says OFFICE on it. There is no middle management in the company either. They keep the place very clean and organized, but its not fancy. They put their money into the product rather than expensive real estate and marble floors. Here's a photo of H&M's main factory. See that one door in front of that white car near where the motorcycle is parked? (the burgundy Ford Explorer is Jimmy Moore's ride). That's the main entrance to the Hancock and Moore Excecutive Offices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9070031.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	261  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

I just pulled my Jaymar prices. A nice stylized recliner (but definitely less detail than the H&M) in their grade "3," which really is quite a nice leather, would retail for over $1800. In a grade 2 it would be about $1700-1800.

If the design was more basic then I would be hesitant. But there is a lot more design in that chair than the Jaymar I'm thinking of and you also have the H&M name. You probably won't do high volume, but every chair you do sell will be like selling 3 Flexsteels or La-Z-boys.

I will question you on the leather. Years ago an old-timer we had scolded me for buying a floor sample sofa in a closeout material just to save money. He said floor it the way people will want to buy it. In that time there have been times we've bought the deals and times we've spent the extra $$$ to buy it the way we thought would sell best. Usually we were better off spending the extra to do it right. So as long as it was a market special and not a closeout you have my vote.

I would also consider the $999 recliners as well. A recliner is a functional item for some people, and someone shopping with a practical motivation may prefer a quality piece that is simple.

I was able to pick that leather from almost any they had, the market special was just a drop in grade to make it for floor stock. I learned long ago as well - that the 'closeout' leathers are usually being closed out for a reason! Agree that you have to have the right cover on the piece or its usually a mistake.

I'll probably bring in the $ 999 specials as well. That's a pretty hot deal for an H&M piece.
    Duane Collie

Laxplaya7974 Guest

Which recliners are the $999 special? Do you have a picture of them? Thanks!

It's the # 1021 Woodbridge recliner in two colors, a darkish red and a medium brown.
    Duane Collie

Maureen Guest

Duane that is a beautiful chair. I wonder if there is a small sofa to go with it? Love the lines and the leather.

Yes, there is a sofa that goes with it, but it just came out in this April's market. Its been photographed, but no dealer photos and its not yet on the web site. It looks very much like the recliner.
    Duane Collie

Laxplaya7974 Guest

Which leathers does it come in for that price?