Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&M and BY questions on comfortable sofas

carmela39 Guest

Default H&M and BY questions on comfortable sofas

All,

Not sure who has a Kodiak, September or Journey but they all look comfortable. I was only able to try out the Kodiak in NJ so far. We like sofas that are deep but not so you need to lean back to rest your head on a sharp angle. Wondering if anyone has the others.

Are the seat cushions all the same firmness? Are they loose back cushions or attached.
    Is one better than the other in terms of longevity?

On a separate note, we loved the feel of the BY 703 again a deep and higher back sofa. Wondering if anyone has this group and whether it has held up?

Anyone have any advice on the differences in the cushions between the H&M and BY.
    Thanks,
    Carmela

carmela39

I'm not sure this will help, but here goes. We have a B-Y 2 piece sectional that is 10 years old. The style is 674-57&94 Hartford. I don't believe this is currently available. It is covered in leather 9678, again not shown on the B-Y website currently. The cushions are described in the accompanied documentation as " unbound virgin polyester fibers surround a high density urethane foam, assuring lavish seating comfort and a pleasing crown appearance. A special ticking envelopes the foam core to insure retention of shape and durability. All loose seat cushion cores are covered by a limited warranty." Now this was 10 years ago before B-Y became a part of Hooker so I don't know about the current cores or warranty. The sectional is very comfortable and I enjoy it very much even after 10 years. The seat cushions retain their shape and firmness, The back cushions are more pillow like and have also retained their original shape well. They are softer by design than the seat.

We also own a 4 year old H&M Austin Sofa and matching tilt back chair ( both non-bustle back). These pieces have the Ultra down optional cores in the seats and backs. They are very soft and luxurious to sit in but they do not hold their shape as well as the standard cores available from H&M. We have had the cores replaced at no charge by H&M with new Ultra down cores with 15% additional fill. I would recommend these cores for comfort but suggest you ask for overfill (additional filling to add to the plumpness) or additional wrapping of the cores to increase the firmness slightly.

Both products offer quality seating, yet they are indeed quite different so I would suggest you actually try out the product you will be purchasing if at all possible.

Hope this helps a little. There are additional threads on this site that address the issue of seat cores and may be of value for you to read.

Larry

I think you will find those three sofas sit very similarly, comfort-wise. They are all mainstream pieces, and all well-liked by those who buy them. I have zero complaints on those frames...none!

Seat cushions on all three frames are identical material and density. Dupont Quaalux on all. Spring rates in the deck will vary some from model to model, but again - these three sofas all sit very similar in my opinion. Expect the same lifespan from all. All three have loose cushions with a heavy duty velcro strip attach.

BY will hold up over time as good as H&M. I have both in my own home - some of the pieces coming up on 20 years of age, and they are all solid. Keep in mind that in quality leather, the # 1 cause of failure of the pieces is caused by consumer neglect, which is either A) Failure to periodically clean the leather B) Direct exposure to sunlight. Control those two factors and your H&M or B-Y will just go and go and go in years.

Cushions are identical for the most part. H&M uses Dupont Quaalux as standard in all their leather furniture whereas B-Y mixes up the cushion cores from one to another model. Many of their leather pieces use the Ultra Down cushions as standard (Formula 14).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

carmela39 Guest

Hi Duane,

I thought the Formula 8 was ultra down and Formula 14 was a little firmer? I know the softer seat will look more frumpled as you said over time and I want comfort without the hassle of the frumpled look which I know will bother me. Larry said he has the BY 674 Harford in a sectional but I only see that as a sofa now. I don't think the current sectionals will be as deep feeling as either the 703 or the three H&M frames we like (Kodiak,Journey and September).

I will get back to you for quotes once we narrow down our choices but can you give me an idea if the three H&M's in grade 2 will price out very differently?
    Carmela

yogi Guest

My wife and I looked at the B&Y Sheffield and H&M Journey again. I always liked the journey best but the loveseat cost so much more than the sofa I could not
    spend that much more. We were all set to get the B&Y Sofa Loveseat and ottoman and the H&M Journey recliner just needed to match the leathers.
    Well after sitting in the Journey again I think we are back to H&M. We want the Journey Sofa, Chair and Lounger in Document tobacco all in Ultra down and we are skipping the loveseat.
    Have you decided on you sofa yet? The only question is getting it through the 34" opening if it doesn't fit I will have to remove the entire door frame to a patio door.
    Does anyone have comments on the Journey. Also one thing I liked about he Journey over the Sheffield is the fixed back cushions will alway stay in place but after you sit in
    the sheffield you will need to straighten the cushions again so they are not crooked. I think that a problem with removeable back cushion sofas.

carmela39 Guest

We haven't found the journey to sit on yet but it looks amazing. I had no idea the cushions were fixed back .This really appeals to me since I hate the backs looking crooked constantly. I found a store that has the September so I'll try that out. I do like the sheffield BY but it did bother me that the cushions move so much. Is the loveseat in the Journey as much as the sofa?

It's hard enough to get a leather match within a maker's product line, virtually impossible when trying to get it from one maker to another's. It will be frustrating to attempt to do so, there's just too much hide color variance in dye lots.

If shopping H&M Town and Country then the loveseats will be more expensive than the sofas ( I made a post here a few weeks ago that addressed that issue).

34" Door opening doesn't concern me for a Journey sofa. That should be adequate. Everything H&M makes will fit through a 36" doorway, and 85% of the line will go through a 34" Door.

Yes, the Journey sofa has attached back cushions, but they will will 'rumple' a little bit. I'd suggest you do NOT put Ultra Down in the back cushions as that down will migrate downward a little bit over time and leave the top of the back cushions less full-looking. If you want Ultra Down, just keep it in the seats.

Even the loose cushion back pieces have heavy, industrial velcro to hold them on, but they require a bit more "plumping" that an attached cushion.
    Duane Collie

carmela39 Guest

Hello Duane,

I finally found the September sofa and I have to say I absolutely love it. I realize the BY 703 grouping with the ultra down was just too plush for me and I hated how long it took for the seats and backs to come back up after you got off the sofa. The September is comfortable with good back support and the seats just pop right back up since they have standard H&M cores.
    A few questions:
    First I need a quote to NJ for a sofa and loveseat, zip is 07076 using the married cover and then another document leather. I like the document copper but I am REALLY nervous about buying a married hide vs one sewn here. Thoughts? Is there another leather similar in color, etc that is not in Town and Country that you would recommend? It HAS to be protected and wipe and go with my active household. If it were your money what would you buy Town and Country or Non?

I had trouble reading the warranty, what is it on the cores and back cushions?

Next, I read somewhere among the tons of posts that they do a fabulous job with wrappig for shipment. As the dealer do you inspect the pieces before they come to me? If so do you rewrap as they were to ensure no defects. I read the post from someone on the garden web whose dealer was trying to solve a blemish with a marker. To me with these prices I don't expect to see any defects or scratches. Any assurance from you would make me feel a whole lot better.

Delivery in weeks for married vs non.
    Thanks in advance for your wealth of knowledge and advice.

Good! Glad to see you were able to find one in person. The September is always popular and I have zero negative comments on it from customers who have purchased it.

I'd not shy away from the H&M Married Cover at all. Its excellent. It's the B-Y Married Cover that I don't care for. Save the money and buy that deal if the leather works for you that its offered in. Don't be nervous about the Married Cover, I've got a pretty critical eye and I cannot tell the difference between one done like that and one made from hides in NC on the September piece. Save the money!

Cushion cores are lifetime to the original purchaser. Free core replacements if you ever need them.

Yes, H&M has the best packing as well. HDS leaves them in the box until your driveway in most all cases with H&M. No worries there. As for touchups, if needed its done in a more professional manner than just dabbing with a marker. Things can happen and somethings a touch up is needed. But its done right and done professionally, so that you cannot tell it from new. If any markings are so severe that they can't be touched-up, then the area is question is re-leathered with new hide.

I do not look at the pieces. They go straight from the factory to you via Home Delivery Service. If you look hard enough, you can find a flaw on any piece, such is the nature of handmade goods. However, any faults should be minor and not affect the usability of the piece or the look of it. You pay for new, it should look new.

Pricing:

The sofa and loveseat are identical in Town and Country at $ 2,193 each, and shipping via HDS would run appx. $ 300 to $ 350 depending on shipping weight.

Delivery time all depends on if they have the hide in stock (kits). If they do, plan on 4 to 4 weeks production completion. I;d have to make a call to find out for sure.

Thanks!
    Duane Collie

yogi Guest

Does the September have a fixed back or loose back? H&M should have a desription of each item on there website.