Thread: Poster beds that sit lower to floor

green-minded Guest

Default Poster beds that sit lower to floor

For over 3 months I've been searching for a high quality, nicely proportioned poster bed that sits fairly low to the floor (under 10"). My box springs/mattress/topper are a total of 20" high and I don't want to use a step to get into bed. I've heard of low-profile box springs, but wouldn't they make it difficult to dress the bed with fitted sheets? Does that depend on how wide the rails are?

I've also learned that some manufacturers have adjustable slat heights, but if you drop the box springs below the rails you'd have to use a bedskirt...plus again there's the question of whether you can comfortably make the bed.

My preference is for a med. cherry or mahogany finish to coordinate with my antique dresser and chest. As for price, I'd like to stay under $2500 if possible. Please let me know if you have any suggestions! If not, I'll probably go for my second choice--a sleigh bed.

I do beds like this all the time, and custom make many of them. What we generally do is get all your specs such as:

How thick are is your bedding? 20" in your case.
    What sleeping height to you desire? 28" to 30" is average.

Then we make the bed using standard 7" side rails and simply cut the mortise into the post to fit your specs. Its a one-time thing, so from that point on you'd want to buy bedding appx 20" in height from then on.

Industry standard for box springs is 8" high. If you use lower slats, or short box springs, you have a knuckle-buster when you attempt to install fitted sheets on the matt. Better to stay with 7" side rails and have the bed made to suit, rather than trying to alter the box springs.

Sorry, I can't meet your price point, but if you want to view some handsome beds, this is my main guy - he makes the best in the USA, all handmade in Rhode Island:

http://www.stephenplaud.com/

I know you can't enlarge the thumbnails, thats done on purpose to keep others from copying his designs. Sorry. Private Message me off list if you would like to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by green-minded View Post
    For over 3 months I've been searching for a high quality, nicely proportioned poster bed that sits fairly low to the floor (under 10"). My box springs/mattress/topper are a total of 20" high and I don't want to use a step to get into bed. I've heard of low-profile box springs, but wouldn't they make it difficult to dress the bed with fitted sheets? Does that depend on how wide the rails are?

I've also learned that some manufacturers have adjustable slat heights, but if you drop the box springs below the rails you'd have to use a bedskirt...plus again there's the question of whether you can comfortably make the bed.

My preference is for a med. cherry or mahogany finish to coordinate with my antique dresser and chest. As for price, I'd like to stay under $2500 if possible. Please let me know if you have any suggestions! If not, I'll probably go for my second choice--a sleigh bed.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

green-minded Guest

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm sure those handmade beds are beautiful, but I'm reluctant to spend that much for a bed. It's not like a mattress, where the quality affects your sleep (is it?). Do you know of any mid-range beds that can customized that way?

Now a question about sleigh beds. Aren't the rails generally a little longer than the mattress, so that there's some room at each end? My husband is 6' tall and often sleeps on his stomach, with his feet dangling over the edge (just barely).

Quote Originally Posted by green-minded View Post
    Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm sure those handmade beds are beautiful, but I'm reluctant to spend that much for a bed. It's not like a mattress, where the quality affects your sleep (is it?). Do you know of any mid-range beds that can customized that way?

Now a question about sleigh beds. Aren't the rails generally a little longer than the mattress, so that there's some room at each end? My husband is 6' tall and often sleeps on his stomach, with his feet dangling over the edge (just barely).
    There may be, but I don't know of any. These are hand-made beds so the rail position can be set as a custom. Production beds are cut by CNC software-driven routers so its not easy to change positioning specs for a single bed.

I can do a Pencil Post bed in that manner for under $ 3K, but nothing with turned posts.

Yes, you are correct the bed frame is not going to add or detract from sleeping comfort as long as the matt/box are well-supported.

I don't get much call for Sleigh beds so I can't address the longer length question on them, but I would think there wouldn't be too much extra space else the bed would be a 'pillow=eater!"
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.