Thread: New H&M Sundance sofa in portfolio claret

strofferazo Guest

Default New H&M Sundance sofa in portfolio claret

New sofa delivered yesterday. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 7. It is stunning. However, on one of the back cushions, the top is kind of "crimped" rather than straight across like the other two. It is quite noticeable. I guess I can live with that although I have to say it is disappointing. If I saw it in a store like that, I would not buy it, so why would you expect that when you custom order it? Then again - I realize you can't expect perfection. There is also a nail or screw sticking out of the bottom of the frame, but I am sure the dealer will have someone come and repair that. I ordered this sofa with the spring-down seat cushions because that was what the store model I sat in had (although now I am not so sure about that, even though they insisted!). Mine does not feel like the one in the store. Mine is much softer (which I do not like). Here are some pictures. I do like the sofa - it is beautiful, but because it is not as comfortable as I expected, I don't quite love it! Hoping maybe I can send the cushions back and have more fill added to make them firmer. Edited to add: H&M said no can do... I will have to order new cushions through my dealer if I want firmer cushions. My dealer, when I just called him, said it is just "my opinion" that my cushions are softer, because HE sat on my sofa when it came in and in "his opinion" they are both exactly the same. And he reminded me that they ordered the sofa with spring down cushions for me because I wanted it to feel exactly like the one in the store, and that is what they had. Uh, ok.... that isn't how I'd talk to a customer who just spent thousands of dollars at my store, but whatever... live and learn; it might be better just to always buy off the floor so you can actually see your item and try it beforehand .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa.jpg 
Views:	1198 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	7287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back cushion.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	7288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	7289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side and cushion.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	7290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa1.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	7291
    Last edited by strofferazo; 06-04-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Default Re: New H&M Sundance sofa in portfolio claret

You can reset that cushion interior on the one back cushion. Pull it off the piece, unzip the bottom zipper and stick your hand up inside and move the core around to get more fill moved to the top. That will fix it 95% of the time. Also, you need to 'set' your back cushions into the piece. Here is a short video I made on my iPhone to show you on a Sundance I have in my store. Easier than explaining it.

https://youtu.be/wqvQl13M4RE

The packing frame is screwed into the sofa base, if you have a screw sticking out its probably leftover from that. A simple 1 minute fix to remove it. You ordered with Spring Down or Ultra Down? It's very rare to put Spring Down in a leather piece, the one you sat in had Ultra Down, I can just about guarantee it. Spring down is use on Fabric pieces, Ultra Down in leather. For firmer cushion cores, order a set of standard Qualux cores for either the seats or the backs. You cannot swap them out (against health department regulations) but you can supplemental order them. You cannot send them back to have fill added, sorry. Contact your selling dealer for more.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

strofferazo Guest

Thanks Duane! I had not even thought about that screw being from a packing frame but I'm sure you are correct. Can I order the Qualux cores with extra fill? My dealer is checking on ordering new cushions for me but maybe he will come back with the same suggestion; not sure. Otherwise I will ask you for a quote but don't want to trouble you yet since I had already called the dealer. I really like an "overstuffed" look on the cushions and had even considered that factor when I went with the springdown, because I had called HM direct and the lady I spoke with told me the springdown have a higher crown than the standard cushions. But, mine definitely do not have a higher crown. And I know you had mentioned previously that they rarely put springdown in the leather sofas, but the store I purchased from absolutely insists that the sofa I looked at initially did have springdown, and he repeated that today when I spoke with him ("you wanted it EXACTLY like the one in the store, and the one in the store has the springdown cushion!").

I'll try pushing the back down into the cushion like your video and see if that helps. Thank you so much.

We have the Sundance in the same cover and absolutely love the Sofa. We moved rather unexpectedly this past week as someone came along and purchased our former residence even though it wasn't actually for sale. My biggest concern of the entire move was the handling of our Sundance. Two guys just lifted it above their heads, out the door and into the truck, doing it the same on the way into the new house. Wow, these guys were powerful! In any event, I have to think someone at your dealer said "Spring Down" in error when the Sofa on their floor was Ultra Down. We purchase our Sundance with Ultra Down cushions off the floor and had it shipped our way.

strofferazo Guest

The cushions are starting to grow on me. I normally lie down on the sofa anyway and rarely sit on it. Sitting on it is when they feel too soft. When you are in a reclined position they are much firmer feeling. I wish it were more red and not such a dark (more maroon) color but it is what it is. The store owner where I purchased it absolutely insists the one they had on their floor (which wasn't just a floor model but was one someone had ordered and had not arranged home delivery yet for) those cushions were spring down. If I decide I want to order new Ultradown inserts I am going to go through Duane and not the local dealer. Does your sofa look as maroon as mine does or is it more of a true red?

Portfolio Claret is a deep maroon color ...that every one who sees it calls it our Red Sofa. It goes perfectly with our Karastan Rugs and the Paisley pillows purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond. We love the color.

Give it 6 weeks before you even thing about ordering new cushion cores. They are not inexpensive!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.