Thread: Couch ordering / moving help

djlucci Guest

Default Couch ordering / moving help

Hi there,I recently ordered a couch from Macys (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/e...1&RVI=Browse_2) measuring 90"W x 37"D x 29"H.After the movers came today and failed, I decided to take pictures and measure out everything.

Here is a URL for the photo: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apt.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	7318

The movers proceeded to try after they first determined it wouldn't fit. They got it up the staircase, to the right and were able to move straight into the vestibule with the couch couch upright. Unfortunately once it was in the vestibule they determined there was no way it would fit since the height clearance of the doorway is 79".

The amount of space in the vestibule is about a square roughly around 40" LxW.
    My question is, is there anyway this would have fit? If not, what size couch do you recommend I purchase to be able to fit through this double doorway apartment? Thank you for any help!

Default Re: Couch ordering / moving help

yes, that sofa is too large. With that tight a space, get a sofa that is 78" or less in length, and no deeper than say 37", with low, traditional arms. Then it can stand on end and spin to get in. Or, if you really want something larger, get a Simplicity Sofa from Jeff, they are a market niche product that you assemble in the room.

http://www.simplicitysofas.com/
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

djlucci Guest

Thank you drcollie, very insightful.

One more question - if you take a look at that diagram, they were able to fit the couch in 90"W x 37"D x 29"H dimensions up upright into the vestibule. At that point, if you take a look at the photo, my apartment is to the right. Let's say the apartment to the left, had their door open. Would the couch be able to tilt downward, into their apartment, and then moved into mine.

Thanks,

Derek

That's hard to say for sure, possibly....but it would take a dedicated delivery crew who were willing to really grunt it out and most delivery crews would take one look at it and not even attempt. You might have a 10 % chance of getting it in. 90" is really just too long, drop the length down to something more reasonable and you will have a better chance.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

djlucci Guest

Yeah - I see what you mean. The only reason I ask is because they were able to stand it upright in the vestibule, so at that point I was wondering if it may be possible to then tilt it into the other apartment to the left, and then go directly into my apartment. Since the clearance for both apartment doors are 35” and the height of the couch is 29”.