Thread: Dealer Gone, Leather Needs Repair/Replacement

Default Dealer Gone, Leather Needs Repair/Replacement

This may be an old problem but I agreed to dear friend to help. Background: Austin sofa, chair and 2 ottomans in Cavalier Oxblood purchased 12/04 at Mastercraft, (a now defunct H&M dealer in the Washington D.C. area). Owners are pretty careful with their home and possessions and as my mom used to say "it's the kid of place where you could eat off the floors". Needless to say the sofa and one ottoman has been the most popular seating for the family of 2 seniors (that would be my age so no cute comments). After almost 11 years the sofa leather is breaking down severely on the seats and ottoman but has a nice attractive patina developed on the back cushions and arms. Obviously the cushions need either repair or replacement and the back cushion cores are needing some love. The chair and other ottoman are in excellent condition given their age. So here is the challenge, how to bring this otherwise good condition sofa and ottoman back to the quality and appearance that H&M furniture should have when the dealer is long since gone away? What is the best approach? Repair by refinishing or new leather cushion covers? (Photos 2,3,4) What about the ottoman? (Photos 1,4). Should this be left as is to deteriorate further or be repaired and if so how? I offer this thread since my dear friend knows I have been involved for many years on this forum and am a staunch H&M supporter. Maybe others face the same challenges. I have attached some photos to follow. I can answer questions if more information is needed and more photos are available if needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1261.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	7319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1266.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	7320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1268.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	7321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1269.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	7322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1272.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	7323  

Last edited by cuse69; 06-12-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Default Re: Dealer Gone, Leather Needs Repair/Replacement

The leather shows signs of cracking, but overall doesn't look to bad for its age, probably didn't get much maintenance-love, and shows some sun-fading as well. Nothing lasts forever, and I would think just getting some proper leather softener on there with the Leather Solutions Kit would go a long ways to making it look better, and if not satisfactory after application, sell it on Craigslist and get a new unit. Cavalier is a semi-aniline leather. It could be 'restored' but I don't think I'd go that route. Get some more time out it then replace it would be my recommendation.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Actually there is little to no sun fade. The arm adjoining the seat cushion looks nearly new and many shades more color.
    The cushions are only worn and faded on the middle and right side of the sofa. The owners tell me they rarely sit on the left side. The fading is obviously due to ware not sunlight. Since Mastercraft is now defunct would it be possible for the owners to deal directly with H&M to arrange for new leather cushions and seat and back pillow cores. I don't believe they wish to sell and purchase a new sofa. Also, as dealers have gone out of business what is H&M's policy for ongoing service?

Also the pictures look much better than the actual sofa/ottoman.

H&M would like all customers to work through a dealer for any kind of purchase, especially. If she would like new leather casings for the three seat positions, I can order those for her at a cost of $ 260 per seat x 3 = $ 780. No charge for cores as long as she can prove she is the original owner (receipt or registered her product with H&M). While the the three seats will match, they will likely be darker and glossier than the rest of the sofa due to fade and use.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    H&M would like all customers to work through a dealer for any kind of purchase, especially. If she would like new leather casings for the three seat positions, I can order those for her at a cost of $ 260 per seat x 3 = $ 780. No charge for cores as long as she can prove she is the original owner (receipt or registered her product with H&M). While the the three seats will match, they will likely be darker and glossier than the rest of the sofa due to fade and use.
    Is it possible to get a cutting for approval for the 3 new casings? Also will they replace just seat cores or can she also get back cores? (Ausin has zippers on back cushions). If so, what would be the cost? If she elects to try the Leather Solutions kit on the ottoman do you stock these and what is the cost? Thanks for your help on this. I want to anticipate as many questions as possible before I respond to my friends.

Larry

It doesn't really work like that. For parts, she would cut off the 'flag' under the seat and send that in and they will do their best to color match. but overall It is not going to match well. There will be a noticeable visible shift from the seat cushions to the sofa body. Time, use and exposure have changed the leather on the main sofa body over 11 years, that's a given. You just can't match new leather to old with any degree of accuracy. Normally we do not replace casings unless one is destroyed from being torn or ripped because of that visible difference that we know is going to happen. The right way to do this is ship the sofa back to H&M, because now they have the whole sofa to work with, and will replace both the seat and back cores while its there (not an easy feat, requires some muscle), clean it up and they have the whole piece to work with. Customers are responsible for 2-way shipping. Now however, you have an issue with diminishing returns, because on top of the $ 780 there is $ 600 or so worth of shipping, and thats 1/3 the way to the price of a new sofa. The old one could be sold for $ 800 locally and now you are 1/2 the price of new.

I do have the kits in the store @ 49.99 and shipping (if needed) is $ 12.00.
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane. I will review all these options with my friends so they can determine their preference. I will let you know what they decide.

Larry