Thread: Working on Cars

Default Working on Cars

My very favorite thing to do on my day off is to go out in my garage and work on my vehicles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gar2.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	7332

I like fixing things mechanical - especially if they have wheels and go fast and electrical systems are my favorite as that seems to confound a lot of folks. I save a lot of money by doing things myself plus i learn how things work. Today I helped a stranger install a Smart Top module in his Porsche Cabriolet. He had posted on the Porsche forum (Rennlist) asking if anyone in the Wash DC area could recommend an installer for it, all the Porsche dealers said 'no', as it was aftermarket and he couldn't find an independent shop that would do it, either. Nearest authorized Smart Top installer was in Richmond VA, 2 hours each way from his home. I posted to him on that forum that it was easy to do and I'd walk him through it, but he said his mechanical aptitude was zero, and he would not dare attempt it. I wrote him back "Heck, just bring it over to my house on Sunday, I can put that in for you in about half an hour". So he did today, and I got to make a new friend. He was amazed I could do it so quickly and brought me a very nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc as a gift. It sure was hot out today, though, and I felt bad dripping sweat over the inside of his Porsche interior! Thirty-five minutes later he was on his way with his new mod installed and now he knows how to do it himself.

After I knocked that out, I got to work on my son's old Mazda 3 (2004). The headlights were severely clouded and yellowed as the car is 11 years old, so I got a Headlight Restore Kit made my 3M for $ 30 and he and I got busy on them. I wish I had taken before and after photos because I could not believe how well this worked. When we finished, they looked like brand new lights from the dealership. What a cool product. So if you have an older car and those headlamp lenses have had it, this will definitely do the job. Believe the hype, it works!

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Headlight-R.../dp/B00WY5L09O
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-15-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.