Thread: Looking for help with Furniture selection

jlkonder Guest

Default Looking for help with Furniture selection

Hello drcollie
    We have taken the factory tour, 3.5 hours with Jimmy Moore including the Motion Factory. In addition have visited stores in Hickory, High Point, Ocala and Tampa Fl.
    Before we ask for a quote there are a questions where we would appreciate your input.
    We have decided that the Austin 8134NB Sofa, 8132NB Chairs (2), Woodbridge Chippendale 1021-PR and 099 Foot Stool are what we want. See questions 1 & 2 below,
    The leather we have chosen for the sofa, chairs and footstool is the Atticus Java 6026 Class II unprotected. Your input would be appreciated. We were looking for leather that is multi chromatic, soft and unprotected. Actually Document Copper and Saddle look very good but we don’t want painted leather. The Atticus Java color fits as well in the room Rug, drapes etc. For the Woodbridge Chippendale chair 1021-pr. we are thinking of a complementary or contrasting color. ( Navy possibly).
    Standard “A” nail-head on all pieces. The wood finish will be Mahogany or Nutmeg unless you have another suggestion based on the leather.

Questions.
    1. We have sat in the 8134NB Sofa and feel we would like firmer bustle back cushions. The seat cushions were fine. They were Qualex, checked the tag. Looking for your recommendation and/or opinions as to type of stuffing for bustle backs for Austin chairs and sofa.
    2. We have not been able to find the 8132NB Chair to sit in. Calls to: H&M customer service in NC, the H&M sales rep in Florida, and a sales person in Hickory, have indicated that the 8132NB Chair sits the same as the 8134NB Sofa. This question arose because we sat in an 8136NB High Back Chair and it leaned too far back, a real deal breaker. Also sat in the Austin 3032 Wall Hugger. Not quite as far back as the 8136NB but still a bit much. Does the 8132NB chair sit the same as the 8134NB Sofa? Would probably want extra in the chair backs same as the sofa.
    3 There are welts on the Austin chair and sofa arms. We would rather have the baseball stitch on the arms. The welts would wear over time and I do not like the feel.
    4. Jackie sat in the 1021-PR Chair at the Factory. Jimmy made sure to plug it in for comparison with the non-powered model. In addition that chair had additional nails on the wings and back. This is an option she wants. Jackie would also like nails across the back and the bottom of the Chair. Bottom back nails can be dropped if it inhibits access to chair motor. Attached are 2 pictures from your site that show nail placement on the back and wing, Note all pieces will float so the backs should look good. In addition Jackie would rather have the baseball stitch, than the welt on the Woodbridge 1021-pr seat cushion.
    5. Also, if you could recommend a complementary or slightly different color leather for the Woodbridge to add some interest. Room Pictures Attached. Note current chairs and sofa are deeper than the Austin pieces. Current chairs are also 4" wider.
    6. We would like your input on the wood choice. As with the leathers viewing online is difficult.
    7. Last but not least recommendations and opinions on anything we missed.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation. We thought we would send these questions in advance of a phone conversation. If you would like to respond before the phone conversation, it might shorten your phone time. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003_zps8e4bf51e.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	7345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1021 with nails back.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	7346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GR-B South East  S.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	7347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GR-F North West S.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	7348

Default Re: Looking for help with Furniture selection

I had a GREAT time in vacation. We went to Spain, France and (my favorite) Italy. I took way too many photos (over 2,000) and now am in Photoshop Hell trying to edit them all.....<laughing>

Jimmy Moore is a national treasure as far as I am concerned. A tour with Jimmy is just one of the best experiences you can ever have, and its free! He will be 80 years old this summer and is still sharp as a tack, and no one knows how to build furniture like he does. I love the way he banters with everyone in the factory and they go back and forth, cracking on one another.

* Atticus is one of my preferred leathers. Good pick and a good value as a price grade 2 hide. No need to look further, that's a good one.

* The back of the Austin Series has a fiber fill to it, and you *can* upgrade to Qualux if you like (only the seat cores are Qualux as standard). I really don't do that upgrade to the backs much, if you want firmer in the back just order 'extra full' and that is no extra charge. A Qualux core in the back will add $ 150 to the price.

* The 8132 chair is very close to the sit of the 8134 sofa, I would agree on that. Tall back models have different pitch angles and depth, so they DO feel different from the standard size units.

* You can have a custom stitch closure if you like. Adds $ 278 on a sofa, and $ 158 to a chair (my prices).

* As long as there is wood to nail into a a piece, you can have any pattern you like, head2head or spaced. Extra nail trim on a chair is $ 98 if its more than shown as standard.

* Want to have some fun with the leather on the Recliner? Treat yourself and do that piece in Capri, either Harness or Navy perhaps.

*Wood finishes are actually not too critical as you have little wood exposed on all those pieces. Mahogany Distress is standard and works pretty good with all colors.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jlkonder Guest

Wow, didn't expect an answer so soon! Thanks for your response. So glad you enjoyed your vacation. Italy is my favorite as well, we were there in May. Looking forward to talking to you in the coming week. Best time to call? Also read there could be a delay in getting Atticus, is this still true?
    Thanks again for the quick response.

Anytime during store hours is good.. Tues through Sat, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern time.

Inventories on leathers vary daily, I have to call to check stock (H&M is closed until 07/14 however)

Thanks!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.