Thread: the comfortable couch company out of NC.. Any detail

fitchottie Guest

Default the comfortable couch company out of NC.. Any detail

Looking for any info on the comfortable couch company.

Also the fabric Echo Ash from Sunbella

Default Re: the comfortable couch company out of NC.. Any detail

Well, they have a lot of buzz on their website, but I am not familiar with their company. However, I watched their video and come away with this:

"We use only kiln dried hardwoods, certified to be grown in a sustainable manner in our frames"

Then in the video, they show a CNC 6-axis router cutting frame parts out of plywood. That is contradictory as the implication is solid hardwood by referencing 'kiln dried'. Plywood is not kiln-dried. The key word is SOLID hardwood if you want a top level build.

A bit later in the video they zoom over a sofa arm in leather and cut away from it. I see nail trim being used as a closure, rather than a welt trim and the nails being decorative. That's a definite shortcut.

Finally they use drop-on spring grids, not an 8-way suspension. I pretty much lost interest when I saw that...lol

My takeaway from spending 10 minutes on their site? They are a mid-level maker with a convincing promotional video. Neither on the top shelf nor the bottom. So ultimately depends on price paid for a unit compared to another mid-level producer.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-07-2015 at 01:16 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

fitchottie Guest

By mid teir, do you mean similar to pottery barn, crate and barrel and arhaus?
    I was looking at the Rudy chairs by arhaus and were told they are made by Lee industries. Supposedly cococohome is made next door to h&m in Newton NC...

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Well, they have a lot of buzz on their website, but I am not familiar with their company. However, I watched their video and come away with this:

"We use only kiln dried hardwoods, certified to be grown in a sustainable manner in our frames"

Then in the video, they show a CNC 6-axis router cutting frame parts out of plywood. A little sleight of hand trick? The key word is SOLID hardwood if you want a top level build.

A bit later in the video they zoom over a sofa arm in leather and cut away from it. I see nail trim being used as a closure, rather than a welt trim and the nails being decorative. That's a definite shortcut.

Finally they use drop-on spring grids, not an 8-way suspension. I lost interest when I saw that...lol

My takeaway from spending 10 minutes on their site? They are a mid-level maker with a convincing promotional video. Neither on the top shelf nor the bottom. So ultimately depends on price paid for a unit compared to another mid-level producer.

fitchottie Guest

A 99" sofa and 68" love seat in sunbrella Echo ash runs in the 4k -5k range.

By mid-level, I mean similar construction. I don't know how every piece from every maker is made, but there are certain things in a build that categorize the level of workmanship in the piece. There are hundreds of makers that do plywood frames with drop-in spring grids, so it would be equal to those lines more or less.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-07-2015 at 08:15 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.