Thread: Best sofa material for cats?

kcdc21 Guest

Default Best sofa material for cats?

Hi,

My husband are looking to buy a new sofa. We are getting rid of our microfiber-type upholstery couch, which hides the cat hair, but attracts it like crazy. Our cats also don't seem to interested in scratching it up. Now we'd like to get something sturdy enough they can't scratch it easily and also is less of a fur-magnet. Any advice? We'd also like to stay under $2k. Thank you!

Default Re: Best sofa material for cats?

I am not a cat owner so cannot address your question, sorry!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Furniture Guest

Sadly there isn't a great deal out there, here are some useful cat scratching prevention tips here: www.allourpets.com/feline/stop-scratching.shtml

Interestingly, neither of my cats has touched my leather furniture. However, I do keep a scratching post nearby, and that's been worked over pretty well.

The best sofa material for cats? Stainless steel.

Our cats leave some furniture alone, play on other furniture (causing scratches), but aren't interested in sharpening their claws on furniture. Cats (obviously) shed, so that's a consideration for any fabric furniture -- will cat hair stick, will it show, how easy will it be to clean.... The worst item I have in my house for accumulating cat hair, ironically, is a cat bed (but the cats love it).

One of the issues you can face with animals, dogs or cats, is that they may leave a piece of furniture alone for years and then suddenly decide it's the greatest new chew toy or scratching post that they've ever encountered. Many years ago my brother had a nosebleed and didn't tell anybody about it, until the dog had eaten every scrap of fabric from the sofa that had so much as a drop of blood on it. Pets... gotta love 'em.

True that! I've been toying around with the idea of having a new line of furniture made up and it would be called "Furniture For Pets that Humans can Use". I get asked at least daily "What sofa should I buy for my dog/cat to be on"? My new line of furniture will incorporate super-heavy duty vinyl with a waterproof cushion liner and metal edging in all vulnerable corners, then feature a raised texture nylon front kick panel so that with fluffy or fido want to rub back and forth on the panel, it will scratch them back and be easy to clean. It will come with a full set of cushion replacement covers as well.

Here's the deal. Furniture for humans is not made for your pet. There are no covers or leathers or cushions made to withstand whatever a pet can do. The simple solution is train your pets to stay off the furniture if you have concerns, and I say that as someone who has had five dogs over the past 30 years. The first three were trained to stay off, the last two have been allowed up (small terriers). The choice is yours to make of course, but be aware you make your selections based on what you will like for yourself. There is nothing made that is pet-tested, and pet-durable, and anyone that tells you otherwise is just giving you a sales line.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.