Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in mattress shopping

Judyg951 Guest

Default Adventures in mattress shopping

We headed down to Orange County, Ca. to start looking for a new mattress. Traffic going in to Los Angeles is terrible these days and we wanted to check out a few manufactureres.

Even though we knew we most likely would not buy a mattress there we tried Bloomingdales. We had a very helpful saleslady who tried to talk us into a mattress brand we had never heard of. It's made just for Bloomingdales. Not even going to consider that one even though we were told it has a 20 year non prorated warranty.

After that we hit a small store that carries Royal Pedic. They didn't carry much and knew even less so that didn't work either.

Finally we went to a local store and got the typical sleezy salesman who tried to talk us into buying today with the usual "I can give you a great dea todayl" talk.

My husband still wants to see if the store we bought our current mattress will cover it under warranty, but I'm pretty sure they won't. They come out to reinspect it next week.

We did like one of the Royal Pedic's, but with only having 2 different beds it was not enough to compare. Once we have the reinspection done I'll see about going into the Factory showroom and looking there. I really was hoping that we could see more than one or two beds and talk with someone who was experienced and knew what they were selling. Oh well.

Default Re: Adventures in mattress shopping

Go see Tony (owner) or Charlotte at the Royal Pedic factory showroom in Beverly Hills, Judy. They will have all the answers to your questions, I guarantee it! Doesn't look too far from you on the map, but then again I have no idea of traffic in you area. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

That's the plan Duane. It looks like an easy drive into L.A., but traffic makes it a 4 hour round trip due to traffic.

I do hope we like the Royal Pedic's as we are not that impressed with what we have seen so far. We are not sure we should invest in another mattress made by the current manufacturer.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.
    Last edited by Judyg951; 07-26-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Judyg951 Guest

Still in shock at the price of good bedding, but had a nice visit at the factory store yesterday. Other than the 3 hour drive home. I'm pretty sure that a Royal Pedic mattress is going to be our new bed. Once we get over the price and Duane gave us a very good price. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it!

Judyg951 Guest

The bed has been ordered. At least it will take less time than ordering custom leather furniture.

Thank you for all your help and advice Duane.

BevoGal Guest

I'm catching up on these threads - sorry I missed this update after asking about your old mattress in another thread. Still saving up for my Royal Pedic here (topper is more $$ and I know I'll need that). After finishing our sunroom, the budget is squeezed! How do you like your Royal Pedic?

Judyg951 Guest

We love our Royal Pedic mattress, but at first honestly we really hated it. We bought the Royal Latex Quilt-Top Mattress. We had tried it in the factory store with a topper on it and it was really nice. The new one came and seemed hard as a rock!! Duane recommended that we wait on the topper. He said that he had never sold a topper on an all latex bed before. He also told me that people in other parts of the country like their beds harder or softer depending on the area where they live. I thought that was very interesting. He told me that he has the bed we ordered on the floor in his store and it's too soft for him and his wife.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that latex mattresses need to cure a bit before they soften up a bit. My husband was not happy and wanted to return it. Duane had to virtually hold my hand as we got used to a new bed. He told me since our bed was old and used up that it would take us a while to get used to it and to give at least a month. A few days after we got it, we took off on a trip for 2 weeks. When we got home the bed seemed better to both of us. We had slept on many different hotel beds, some were very firm and some were really soft. After we had been home around a week my husband said to me that he thought the bed was going to be fine. We had tried this mattress with the extra topper on it and loved it, but based on Duane's advice we didn't order it along with the mattress. Now we still plan on ordering it, but somehow other things keep getting in the way.

The only problem we have with the bed now is that it's a monster. It's a Ca king and weighs a ton. You are supposed to flip this mattress over rather than just moving it head to toe. We could not flip it ourselves and so far have just moved it head to toe. It's really heavy. I'm going to have to ask my son and his partner to help us.

In your other post you said that you wanted to keep your box spring. I also had planned on that but Royal Pedic told me that they would not warranty the mattress unless we had their box spring.

What usually happens when you get new bedding is that you don't like it. Mostly because you've been sleeping on a broken-down bed and the new one will feel too firm. That's why I like to suggest to wait three weeks after you get the bedding before ordering a topper - you have to acclimate to the new bed. If its still too firm, than we can fix that with toppers. Now, most dealers are more than happy to sell you that expensive topper right off the bat and tell you that you need it, its more money in their pocket if they do. I prefer to help SAVE you money if I can, and that's why I suggest a more conservative approach. Those toppers are not inexpensive and if the bed is fine without it then you can spend that cash on something else. (I'm not much on upselling people, I probably should be more aggressive).

Yes, they are heavy. There's a lot of high quality material in a Royal Pedic, you're actually getting some substance and not paying for air inside the piece. That's also why they last so long. I do not enjoy rotating my King Size All Cotton, either - but its a necessary evil !
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

Duane, You were right about needing time to adjust to a new mattress. We are very happy with our bed now.

BevoGal Guest

Thank you, Judy! My Aireloom bed is a monster, so I can imagine it being so difficult to flip and rotate the Royal Pedic. But it does have dual sleeping surfaces if you can flip it over - interesting. The Aireloom/Kluft is "one side only" and you rotate it around and around to break it in.

Here's the ironic thing -- I just received an email from Louis Shanks that offers a special "anniversary Aireloom" in the $2K range (half-price). Mine was purchased at The Dump (the ONE and only time I have been in there, and it was based on a friend's referral for the mattress). I'm jumping over to your other post now.