Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adventures in mattress shopping

Judyg951 Guest

Default Re: Adventures in mattress shopping

My son and his wife love their Aireloom bed. It's very cushiony and soft, with a pillow top, but it is firm underneath. If we had known that the store was going to take our old mattress before we ordered our new bed we probably would have bought the same one. At least this way they were able to get a king bed though and we have a brand new one.

One thing to be aware of... the Royal Pedic bed we have is not as thick as the Kluft/Aireloom and that kind of threw me off for a while as well. It was something else I had to get used to.

Bed warranties are not worth the paper they are written on as whole. They talk them up, but at the end of the day they cover manufacturing defects (like stitching), not performance. And if they have a 'sag' warranty it is usually at about 2 1/2" below the ridge and most bedding that fails is less than that 2 1/2". Then there is the 'stain disclaimer' where the warranty is void if there are any stains on the bedding for 'health' reasons. That gives them an out to deny a warranty claim, let's face it - most beds DO pick up a stain over time here or there.

When I first started carrying bedding in my store, it was King Koil back in the 80's and early 90's. We sold quite a few sets and the price was right. Well, about the 5 year mark, all these King Koils started failing left and right. All severe depressions. They had a 10-year warranty and my customers wanted replacement beds. That's when I discovered how useless all that warranty really was - King Koil refused to warranty almost all the ones we put in for. It caused a lot of ill will with my customers (over one hundred) so I dropped the line like it was a hot potato. Then I went in search of beds that did not suffer those depressions and learned about premium bedding. That led me to becoming a Royal Pedic dealer and I have (4) of their beds in my house now, every bedroom. I have had exactly one warranty issue on a Royal Pedic out of all the sets I have sold, and it was a primary stitch that unravelled on the edge, and that was promptly taken care of.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Bed warranties are not worth the paper they are written on as whole. They talk them up, but at the end of the day they cover manufacturing defects (like stitching), not performance. And if they have a 'sag' warranty it is usually at about 2 1/2" below the ridge and most bedding that fails is less than that 2 1/2". Then there is the 'stain disclaimer' where the warranty is void if there are any stains on the bedding for 'health' reasons. That gives them an out to deny a warranty claim, let's face it - most beds DO pick up a stain over time here or there.

The interesting thing with the "stain" that magically appeared on our mattress once they put it on the truck is that we were told that we had some sort of cleaning insurance. We could have the mattress cleaned and then re-submit it for a new claim. The insurance would have paid for the cleaning. At least our son was able to get the company to just come back and pick up the mattress and we didn't have to bother with that.

It's now 2022 and we have had our Royal Pedic mattress since 2016. It still feels like it's brand new and we love it. It's been such a long time since I visited this forum that I could not remember my username and had to re-register. Anyways I just wanted to comment on how the mattress has fared over the last 6 years. Our only problem is how difficult it is to turn it, this thing is heavy.

Duane, can we use a heated mattress pad with it? We use one at our daughter's house and really love it.

Yes, they ARE heavy to flip and rotate, especially the King Size. I struggle doing mine by myself. My set is now 13 years old, but shows no sign of breaking down, I expected it would at this age. My wife and I are going to re-do our Guest Bedroom and put a King size bed in there, and when we do will get a new Royal Pedic All Cotton for us - same as we now have - and move our 13 year old unit in the Guest room.

Yes, you can use a heated pad on it, won't bother it at all.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.