Thread: Need Sofa Recommendation that Will Withstand My Children

f1sherman Guest

Default Need Sofa Recommendation that Will Withstand My Children

My wife and I are just getting out of the "Ikea" stage of our life and looking for a quality sofa that will last 10+ years. We have 2 young boys that like to surprise us with activities such as running outside and playing in the mud then coming inside and immediately jumping on the sofa. My wife wants fabric (instead of leather), though that may not be a hard requirement. We've looked at pretty much all of the big names (Restoration Hardware, Ethan Allen, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Room & Board, etc.) and they all seem overpriced and not of great quality. I know that we want to look for something that has a solid wood frame and that we should scotch guard the fabric, but that's about it. Any suggestions? We live in the Minneapolis area in case anyone knows of specific places we should look.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Need Sofa Recommendation that Will Withstand My Children

It's all about construction build, rather than brands. You can learn here in the forum by doing searches what makes a solid sofa, then look at the ones you are considering to see how they are built. Sounds like your furniture is going to take a real beating in a busy house, so look at Crypton brand fabrics as ypu can clean anything off them with soap and water, even permanent marker. And a point of information, don't allow your kids to jump on the upholstery (if in fact, they actually are). That destroys the suspension of even the best made sofa. Good luck in your search.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AshleyK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    It's all about construction build, rather than brands. You can learn here in the forum by doing searches what makes a solid sofa
    Do you by chance happen to know which forum the what makes a solid sofa is in? When I put it in the search I keep getting a 404 can't find message.

T.I.A.

There are many, many threads here in the forum that address construction. I don't have a specific one to point out to you. You can start here, and work through them all if you like:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/arch....php/f-20.html
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.