Thread: Advice on best way to sell brand new arrington?

ampz1 Guest

Default Advice on best way to sell brand new arrington?

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, when my contractor had his carpenters re frame my home (now that it's complete), I certainly lost some hallway area in order to gain bedroom/bathroom etc area. Normally that'd be ideal but after ordering my Arrington sofa weeks ago I realize it is definitely not going to fit. I'm well aware people sell H&M on craigslist etc. but I'm not sure I ever saw a brand new sofa (I don't even plan to take it out of the skid that it's shipped on) being sold anywhere by a private owner. What would be your guys opinion on the best bet for me to sell a brand new Arrington to someone?

Obviously this is private, I'm not a dealer, this is not for advertising. Just want to make sure I go about getting it to the eyes of the right people who may potentially want to procure it.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Advice on best way to sell brand new arrington?

Did you take delivery of this sofa? From what I gather in your post, it has not yet shipped? If the leather has not been cut on the sofa, the order can be cancelled at H&M with no repercussions to the dealer. Typically from order to leather cutting is typically 2 to 3 weeks. What did your selling dealer tell you - assuming you contacted them with your problem? What are the details of your order? Which specific model, which leather? date of order? local or long distance order? Trying to sell to a private party is going to be difficult and you will lose a lot of money on it unless you get very lucky, let the dealer help you.

This is really an easy fix. I assume you did not order from my store as I've not heard about this in any conversations with any of my customers, but what I would do in this instance is 1) Try to cancel the order with H&M. 2) If the leather has been cut, then I would re-route to my store and allow you a credit to purchase something else (long as it was not in a wild leather like Pink Sparkle Suede, etc). 3) If you did not want to purchase something else, then I would simply put in in my showroom on a consignment basis, where you own the sofa until it sells, then I would issue you a check for it less a sales commission charge. 4) Final option would be you would surrender your 20 % deposit and I would simply take it as floor inventory. The loss of the 20% deposit would likely be less than a private party re-sale.

Some dealers, especially the ones that are the lowest price, keep you on the hook and won't help you because they don't care. Even though the order can possibly be cancelled at H&M they may tell you it cannot. They won't lift a finger to assist you in a situation like this because all they want is to get paid. But a good dealer will help get you out of this situation. It's the right way to do business.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-10-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ampz1 Guest

It has already been cut. And it is a in kip pyramid. And the feet in walnut distressed.My new hardwood floors are walnut and the pyramid is a very nice dark brown that would go exceptionally well with my new floor. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get it into the living room. It's certainly not a pink sparkle haha. Maybe we can work something out.

http://hancockandmoore.com/leatherpr...pt=leather.asp

Call your selling dealer and talk to them - they should be willing to work with you on it. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

ampz1 Guest

Let's get it in your store drcollie! Lol I know you have the room for it

Sorry, I would only do that for my customers, and actually have two pieces currently on the showroom where that has happened.
    Duane Collie

vbnet Guest

If the dealer won't help you AND the Arrington would fit once it is in the room AND you plan on staying a long time, AND you have a large picture window, I've heard of people taking a window out to get a piece of furniture in. It's a lot of trouble but just a wild and crazy idea.

vbnet Guest

Also, Duane has some posts somewhere on the clearance you need. We brought an Arrington up in a small elevator in an apartment building by removing the framing below the lights, and through an apartment sized door.