Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with new furniture for our living room

SuzanneSLO Guest

Default Help with new furniture for our living room

I need some help in planning new furniture for our living room.

Our room is about 17 feet by 14.5 feet, with a corner cut off for the entry way from the foyer. The ceiling is 14 feet high at you enter the room and slopes along a pitched roof to 8.5 feet at the opposite corner. The windows along the long wall face north and the room tends to be pretty dark even with the wood blinds open. The wall opposite the windows has a fireplace flanked by tall recessed bookcases and a hearth that juts into the room.

My husband and I use the room primarily as a media room but it is also our only entertaining space. We are replacing a way-too-big-but-comfy fabric covered sectional (102” x 102”) that has given good use but has seen better days.

Because of the existing wiring, the TV/entertainment center really can’t be moved.

After much debate, we think the best option is a sofa and chair. I have attached a floor plan, which shows the Hancock and Moore Salvatore Sofa and Chair. The Salvatore sofa is on the larger side (96” x 45.5” x 37.5” for the sofa and 34.5” x 33.5” x 36.75” for the matching chair). We are also considering the Paley Sofa (85.5” x 38” x 37”) and the Your Way Sofa (87” x 35.5” x 40.5”).

The plan doesn’t show any tables because frankly I’m not sure what will work.

Any thoughts on this or other possible arrangements would be greatly appreciated.
    LivingRoomLayout081215.pdf

Default Re: Help with new furniture for our living room

Based on the layout (and I've not see photos of the room) I'd be inclined to suggest a small, compact L-shaped sectional and pick up one more seat as this is your main room, and then a cocktail ottoman about 36" square to go with it. Something like these:

http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...ONAL&style=654, (92" along the wall - other photos in the link below)

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...eather-9023-65

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1025, (93" along the wall each way)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

SuzanneSLO Guest

I love that Bradington Young sectional! Gorgeous. I also like the style of the H&M City sectional, but it may sit too small for my 6' tall husband.

I wasn't sure that we could add a chair if we had a sectional, even a small one. But I played around with the room planner and found at least one possibility. I think it depends on having a smaller cocktail ottoman/table (the one I added is 26" square).

Is this what you were thinking?
    LivingPlanSec-081315.pdf

Yes, but probably no chair. Consider a couple of small stools in front of the bookcases on each side of the fireplace. Again, this is a recommendation without benefit of seeing photos...something like these

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2101
    Duane Collie

SuzanneSLO Guest

I agree that the chair is too much for that layout. I'll try to snap some photos to post, which might help as well.

I'm back to the sofa/chair combination as well. I feel like the sectional is just too limiting going forward.

By narrowing the walkway in front of the hearth to around 3', I was able to put the Salvatore sofa and chair at true right angles, with a side table between. I even added another Salvatore chair.

However, it occurred to me that the listed depth of the Salvatore chair (on which this arrangement depends) seems unusually narrow at 33.5" (the sofa, in contrast, is 45.5"). Is this a misprint? If so, can you tell me the actual chair depth?

Also, I have been looking at various options for a cocktail ottoman. I love the look of the Campaign Ottoman you added to your family room, but square might be the wrong shape if we don't have a sectional. The Somerset Cocktail Ottoman (076) at 46 x 26 might be a better shape for our room. But I admit that the notion of a "cocktail ottoman" is foreign to me. Does it need to be tufted to function well? Does quilting perform a similar function? Anything else we should be looking at?

Thank you once again for all your help.

Here's the revised plan:
    LivingRoomPlan-081415.pdf

I don't like the new plan, sorry! Too cluttered, too jammed up, not enough free space. A sectional would offer a cleaner, more put-together look.
    Duane Collie

SuzanneSLO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I don't like the new plan, sorry! Too cluttered, too jammed up, not enough free space. A sectional would offer a cleaner, more put-together look.
    As you usually are when you provide room layout advice, I think you are right. I like the flexibility that comes with a sofa/chair, but no sense buying furniture for the home you don't have! So small sectional it is.

Here is a new floor plan with just the sectional and some tables.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LivRoomPlansmSec-081615.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	7523

SuzanneSLO Guest

I have added some photos with our collectibles "blurred" out. As you can tell, the room is busy, so less is definitely going to be the better option. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	7548Click image for larger version. 

Views:	368 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	7549Click image for larger version. 

Views:	367 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	7550

SuzanneSLO Guest

Although we have still not sat on a City sofa or sectional, we continue to think the sectional is the way to go.

We are trying to decide between Cameo Tan Burnished and Cameo Luggage Burnished. From the swatches, the Tan seems a little darker than the Luggage. It's hard to choose when both are so nice.

Any thoughts on wood finish for these mid to light tone Browns? -- Suzanne

-- Suzanne

So little difference in those colors, they are both very handsome. You can really just about flip a coin to decide. Here's my sample swatches, LUGGAGE being on the left TAN on the right. I can hardly tell them apart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	7551
    Duane Collie