First let me thank you all in advanced for your help.

My husband is in the Air Force so we move every 3-4 years and would like a couch that will last us 20+ years. We have 1 active 6 year old boy, I do not allow jumping on the couch but I feel messes are inevitable. My wonderful M-I-L, I actually mean that she is awesome, was an interior decorator in the 90's and recommended Flexsteel since we prefer firm sofas. After reading the "I'm getting rid of Flexsteel" post I am apprehensive. Also just looking at their leather in a showroom I said to my husband "this [leather] looks like junk from China that you would find at Ashley Furniture", I gotta say I love being right but I'm disappointed that they present themselves as a Made in the USA company. I prefer to buy American made since the quality is usually superior and I want to support our economy. I have been told there are still some Flexsteel lines still made in America. We moved to Dayton, Ohio and the store owners here are recommending/"pushing" Smith Brothers (out of Indiana). When we ask why Smith Brothers over Flexsteel the only answer we seem to get is "they're just better", sorry fellas I need facts. Personally I would prefer leather (which would push Flexsteel out of the running) because I love the look of leather when it ages. My husband is concerned that leather will get too beat up, stained or marked up with pens and such and prefers to go the fabric route.
I know 10-20 years ago many of these companies were great. All I read is "my couch lasted 20+ years", but now I feel (as has been mentioned in other posts) many sofas are trying to price to the Walmart standard which means the companies standards have plummeted. We obviously don't want to drop hard earned & saved 5K+ on a couch and loveseat just to have the fabric wear out in a few years, if that. Some reviews I have read say that the fabric has become worn and pilled in less than a year, these were Smith Brothers reviews. I just don't know what to trust. Yes many of these companies were great 20 years ago, but that's when companies had standards and wanted to provide a quality product. I would prefer to purchase from small business and am willing to pay more. Also any fabric recommendations that don't look like office/hotel furniture would be greatly appreciated.

The nitty gritty:

Sofas and love seats that are currently made in the U.S., high quality and can be moved across the country a few times and will last at least 15 years
Firm (that's what we liked about Flexsteel)
Fabrics that are attractive and that will last or a way to convince my husband to buy leather
A warranty that could work for us (we were told furniture companies will only deal with the dealer and if you didn't buy from that dealer most dealers won't help us if we need it*)

*I'm getting sick and tired of companies saying they support our soldiers and thank us for his service but when it comes to them doing the right thing for us we get left high and dry. Sorry off my soapbox now.

Again thank you for your help.

AshleyK