Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How its Packed and HOW TO UNPACK - Hancock and Moore

Default Re: How its Packed and HOW TO UNPACK - Hancock and Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Miles77 View Post
    What do you do when there is a scratch from unboxing brand new furniture? Do you note damages on the bill that they ask you to sign? It's a big deal to send it back.
    You as the client have to decide at time of delivery if you can live with the marks OR can accept an in-home repair. If neither is acceptable, the piece should be refused. Ultimately its your call, and that should come with an understanding that perfection is difficult to achieve, this is not an iPhone coming in a box, it's a big, heavy 250 lb sofa going cross country. Its very common for a sofa leg to have small nicks in it for example, those can usually be touched up with a marker.

The industry does not send out replacements, it restores/repairs. No different than if you buy a new car, they don't send you a brand new one if the transmission fails, they fix that transmission.

If leather, a Finished leather can be repainted, sometimes even patched if cut. Because a finished leather is painted, and there are mobile services in most major areas that do that work such as www.fibernew.com. If a pure aniline, those are dyed leathers, they cannot be restored but usually can be made to look much better by massaging leather conditioner in the affected area. If torn, they cannot be patched, and require going back to the factory for new hides in that area.

95% of all damages are small nicks like you see here. Once in awhile, there is major damages such as a frame break, but that is rare. In the event of refusal, the piece will be gone for sometime. If it has to go back to the factory, it may be several months, most of which is transportation. It's about like putting toothpaste back in the tube. Delivery companies do not do well in timeliness of returns.

Proper unpacking is really the key element. Get the staples clear of the piece and also lay furniture pad on the ground before the sofa is every pivoted to an upright position.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Anything that is different for unpacking a recliner?

Recliners are easy. The key in unpacking one is to watch where your blade is relative to the furiture. You don't want to cut the leather on the chair.
    Duane Collie

When you have your furniture delivered out of state do they arrive in H&M's packaging then? It's been a long time since I had ordered from you so I don't remember.

It all depends on how we ship it

1) If we are shipping via Sun Delivery / America West, they will pick up in the H&M packing and usually transport to their local drop off partner (near you) in the boxes. At that point that local agent may or many not take it out of the packing. If they bring it to your driveway in the boxes, they will unpack there. 80% of the time it will be blanket wrapped when the truck pulls up.

2) if you opt for us to ship it to a Receiver or Loading Dock of your choice, then it will stay in the packing to their dock. From there you can have them bring it out to you and install, or self-transport and unpack yourself.

I created this section on unpacking because when done right as per my directions, its very much damage-free. I can't even count how many H&M pieces I have unpacked over the years (and still do). It has to be in the thousands. I have had three leather cuts in all those unpackings, all where I was going to quickly and not checking my blade clearance and cut into the hides. When that happens, it has to go back to the maker to get new leather, its not repairable.

I have had one client slice his wing chair leather with a blade while unpacking. A very costly leather with a 30" slash in the side. Of course, he claimed it came like the factory like that and wanted a free replacement. That was an unpleasant conversation.
    Duane Collie

Do you have a recommendation for packing blankets for getting our ottoman from our home to the factory? We have some old moving blankets but they are pretty dirty and maybe not as padded as they should be

Also, any particular tie downs that you like?
    I saw these on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ATS8MOYLJ&th=1

Do we even need those for the two recliners and two end tables? Maybe better to be safe than sorry lol

Old blankets are not ideal, a proper furniture pad is better. However, when you pick up at both the Hancock and Moore Factory (two Recliners) and Woodbridge (two end tables), they will be fully boxed for export shipping and you won't need any pads or any tie downs, as long as the truck is large enough and you don't have to take them out of the boxes.

Transport tip in a cargo van: While you don't need to tie them down, make sure your recliners are close to the back of the driver and passenger seats - at least 6" to the seat. That way, should you have to slam on the brakes your cargo will be stopped by the seats. You don't want to put them far back by the rear doors as that way they can launch forward with some velocity and mass.
    Duane Collie

Thanks for that tip about the loading order. Will Do!...out of curiositywill the folks at factory help us get them into the cargo van?

For taking our Ottoman up there....a blanket like this? https://www.amazon.com/Moving-Blanke...st_sto_dp&th=1

Yes, ones like that, but you can get them cheaper at your local Lowe's / Home Depot because they don't have to pay for the 'free' shipping.

Example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fleming-Sup...ply/5001427333

Yes, the guys on the loading dock will definitely help you load. In most cases, they will load you up while you take the Tour.
    Duane Collie