Thread: H&M Grade D Fabric

Kelols Guest

Default H&M Grade D Fabric

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase some H&M grade D fabric (Taylor King grade 30) to recover an ottoman so it goes better with the H&M leather.

Does anyone know the per yard price of the Taylor King grade 30 fabric or the H&M grade D? I think those will be the same price but I may have miss understood.

I've gotten three different estimates of the yardage needed to cover the ottoman. It ranges between 3 and 4.5 yds. So I'm probably going to have to buy 5 yards, which gets expensive sometimes.

Default Re: H&M Grade D Fabric

What is the name of the fabric? The vertical repeat will determine yardage, along with the size of the ottoman, and whether the ottoman is a tight top or has an attached cushion, and if it is skirted or has a tight base....

Before you buy cut yardage, have your upholsterer tell you how much you need - the person who is going to do the actual work.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Kelols Guest

The guy that usually does our upholstery work likes the five yard number, so we'll get the five, and if there is enough left over after the ottoman, he'll make a pillow or two. I'm just not sure I want to hear the price for 5 yards of fabric from a furniture company.

My wife likes the Taylor King fenton saddle (grade 30) and a couple of others. The repeat on fenton saddle is less than a half an inch. It's 32 W by 48 L and 14 high. It's not skirted but it is tufted with tight sides and two welts wrapping all the way around.

Personally, I like the extra fabric at the Army Navy store!
    Last edited by Kelols; 09-19-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Upholstery shops will always ask for more than is needed because they can work faster that way, and spend less time laying out patterns to maximize yield. If an upholsterer asks for 5 years and you send them 4.5, 99% of the time they will get it done.

From my store, a GR 30 TK would price out at $ 72 a yard + $ 15 shipping. Your best price on fabrics will always be the mill end shops, where you buy remnants. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Kelols Guest

Thanks Duane,

You're always the best in the business. The TK fabric is made by P. Kaufmann. I've found wholesale discounts but Kaufmann has a minimum order quantity of 15 yards. Kaufmann has 5 color versions of the same fabric. Three of them come with no minimum quantity and one of them is just a shade different from the one my wife wants. She put big pieces of both of them on the Ottoman and thinks the one I can't buy is just "warmer" looking than the one I can buy.

The warmest thing in the room is my wallet. In fact, you can see the steam coming out of my pocket!