Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattress for back pain?

MRJones Guest

Default Mattress for back pain?

Hi all, Im new to this forum and not sure how if it the right place to post this thread. I have been having a lower back pain since february after I fell on black ice. I was having treatment for my back pain for the next 2 months. It was a really bad fall. Then I had regular check ups and the pain was gone. Recently we bought a new mattress @ $260 and the pain started to show action and now I have sleepless nights. I consulted my doctor, who said that the newly bought mattress is the villain for my back pain. I inquired at a local mattress store and they have promised me about giving the best mattress for my back pain. But the question is how do I know if its going to benefit me. I also want to get rid of my old mattress. Any ideas and suggestions? Looking forward to your help!
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-08-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Default Re: Mattress for back pain?

we bought a new mattress @ $260

That may be the issue....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

buckheaddon Guest

Complex topic. If I understand your situation you were pain free before the new mattress but aren't now. There's a pretty good forum at The Mattress Underground, with some pinned threads that discuss the best way to audition and select a new mattress. This requires some basic understanding of the different layers in a mattress. I think it's certainly the case that a mattress won't cure back pain, unless it's a poor mattress that caused the pain in the first place. And in those instances, it should be pretty evident either that the mattress is creating hard pressure points, making it uncomfortable to use for a length of time, or provides insufficient support, leading to poor alignment of your back during sleep.

I don't know the particulars of your new mattress, but at that price point you're probably sleeping on a low-density synthetic foam. That may work well for some people, but there may be longevity issues with the more inexpensive foams.

I keep my mattresses longer than I probably should. The bedding industry likes to cite 8-10 years as a maximum lifetime for mattresses, but I use mine until there's something obviously wrong with them :-) When I purchased a new mattress a few months ago, I was disappointed to find that few manufacturers are making product the way my old mattress was constructed. I auditioned dozens of mattresses all around town and ended up picking up something that is way more expensive than I expected. So far, I'm liking the new mattress. But I liked my old mattress even more, especially considering the life I received from it and the relatively cheap cost compared to what I have now.

Just know that buying a mattress can be harder than buying a car or a house.

MollyDoris Guest

Well, there is no single mattress type that works for all people with low back pain. I'm not sure whether your pain results from the mattress. Just a wild guess. Sleeping on a mattress that is too firm can cause aches and pains on pressure points. A medium-firm mattress may be more comfortable because it allows your shoulder and hip to sink in slightly. If you want a firmer mattress for back support can get one with thicker padding for greater comfort.

roast Guest

Same here . I would like to test mattress in the store and laying down on each mattress (soft or firm) in the position in which I normally sleep to find out what kind of mattress is the most suitable for my health.

maryannj Guest

Me too, I prefer to lay down and "test drive" the mattress first before I would decide to buy. It is important for me to try it out before making decision to buy.

Three things when you shop new bedding:

1) Remember that your current bed is most likely broke down and shot. That means ANY new bed is going to feel much firmer. No matter what you buy you will have to take some time to adjust to it, usually 3 weeks or so.

2) Always try out a bed with your partner, and notice how much the bed may move (or not) when they turn over.

3) Test the edges of the bed. High quality bedding will have a good sitting edge that doesn't collapse when you sit on it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jenny Guest

I find that a firm mattress helps with back pain more than a soft mattress. If the firmness bothers you, try pairing a firm mattress with a softer pillow top, or even egg crate foam on a budget. The most useful source I've ever found for mattress shopping is this guide: http://mattressscam.com/

The first page sounds like a ridiculous late-night ad pitch, but the website contains some fantastic information about the mattress industry and how they make it as confusing as possible so that customers can't comparison shop and sellers can keep prices high. It also gives you a good idea of what to look for, and discusses things like the "value" of increasing the number of coils, etc.

With that said, it is hard to shop for a good mattress at your price point. It's not anything to do with you, it's just that mattresses tend to be one of the most expensive items in the house. When I was in college, I had a decent experience with a $200 IKEA Sultan Harestua Mattress (Queen) + a $100 IKEA pillow top. It's not anywhere close to the ideal mattress, but it gave me a decent night's rest. IKEA also has a 90 day return-for-store-credit-towards-another-mattress policy.
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-26-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I find that a firm mattress helps with back pain more than a soft mattress. If the firmness bothers you, try pairing a firm mattress with a softer pillow top, or even egg crate foam on a budget. The most useful source I've ever found for mattress shopping is this guide: http://mattressscam.com/

The first page sounds like a ridiculous late-night ad pitch, but the website contains some fantastic information about the mattress industry and how they make it as confusing as possible so that customers can't comparison shop and sellers can keep prices high. It also gives you a good idea of what to look for, and discusses things like the "value" of increasing the number of coils, etc.

With that said, it is hard to shop for a good mattress at your price point. It's not anything to do with you, it's just that mattresses tend to be one of the most expensive items in the house. When I was in college, I had a decent experience with a $200 IKEA Sultan Harestua Mattress (Queen) + a $100 IKEA pillow top. It's not anywhere close to the ideal mattress, but it gave me a decent night's rest. IKEA also has a 90 day return-for-store-credit-towards-another-mattress policy.
    I don't wanna go searching for the link right now since it's pretty late & about to go to bed(maybe I'll post a link to it in the morning,) but Apartment Therapy did a blog post called "A Year In Bed." They literally had a cpl try out a different mattress every month, for 12 months: everything from IKEA's best/top of the line mattress, all the way to a $10,000+ queen sized Hastens. Each post is dedicated to that month's tested mattress. They remarked on the feel, quality of build, etc even certain brand's delivery methods(I think Hastens had this over the top, well choreographed delivery of their mattress, inc making of the bed in designer linens all while literally wearing white gloves, etc.)

I found it really insightful & interesting. I especially liked that they tested affordable makers, standard, big brand name mattresses that are mid-level priced AND included luxury, hand sewn mattresses.

The truth is, I NEED a new mattress. But, I specifically want literally THE softest possible mattress, paired with a feather bed/down mattress topper, 4 down pillows & a down comforter...all to create the closest possible feeling to sleeping on a cloud. I don't have back pain issues, but do have worsening tennis elbow in my right arm & a metal plate with 11 screws in my upper left arm from shoulder surgery due to a horseback riding accident 6 years ago... I'm STILL sleeping on a 15+ year old IKEA mattress!! Lol

I'm single right now(LOL, but, obviously haven't always been throughout my time with this mattress,) so there's no ridge in the middle of the mattress indicating it's shot. It does however, have a slight curl up at the foot of the mattress, kinda like a taco shell folds together. It's literally not THAT bad, but it's noticeable. And yet, I LOVE the particular feel of this well broken in mattress & it's prefect for me. I've just been flipping it completely over: top to bottom, & bottom to top whenever I've moved to minimize the curling issue...& so far, it's working. Friends that have chilled, watching movies in it, & ALL my ex-boyfriends have remarked at how incredibly soft it feels to lay on(mattress plus feather bed/down topper, down pillows & comforter.) Lol, the thing's way past its prime & has been thru too many moves to count! Even those hurried, last minute kinda moves where it rode in the back of friends' pickup trucks LOL. It once spent an entire year in a storage unit, just leaning up against the wall...that I'm 100% positive it needs a serious cleaning!!

Mattress shopping is a PIA; & these new, online, direct to consumer, vacuumed packed mattresses weren't around when I originally bought it, that I didnt have the slightest clue where to begin my search for a new mattress. And anyways, it's REALLY broken in now & super, super soft I'm afraid I'll never find this soft of a mattress again.

Lol, that's just my personal, mattress situation lamentation. But, Apartment Therapy's blog post was very useful for me to learn more about the different mattresses now out there, that I'm sure it'd help someone else in whatever their mattress issues may be
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-27-2016 at 04:08 AM.

Procure a copy of the February 2017 Consumer Reports. They tested 74 mattresses using six types of sleepers. They have an 850 dollar foam mattress (that I had never heard of) that topped the foam mattress category and a 1500 dollar mattress that topped the innerspring category. There is also a 7500 dollar mattress that finished 12th among the innersprings. Air mattesses score very high. The article is not the last word in mattress ratings, but at least they have a bit of a scientific basis rather than personal opinions that may not be relevant to your situation.

Hope that helps.