Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattress for back pain?

Default Re: Mattress for back pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Dgw9 View Post
    Procure a copy of the February 2017 Consumer Reports. They tested 74 mattresses using six types of sleepers. They have an 850 dollar foam mattress (that I had never heard of) that topped the foam mattress category and a 1500 dollar mattress that topped the innerspring category. There is also a 7500 dollar mattress that finished 12th among the innersprings. Air mattesses score very high. The article is not the last word in mattress ratings, but at least they have a bit of a scientific basis rather than personal opinions that may not be relevant to your situation.

Hope that helps.
    CR is good for basic testing and comparison but I have found tests of mattress and such can still be subjective and their long term use simulation sometimes misses the mark. I looked and didn't see Royal Pedic or Shiffman in their ratings, seems the luxury 7500 bed is more a hybrid/customizable mattress from a company called Duxiana. Saying all that I still do check CR when researching products because it's nice to see what they say compared to other review sources.

Stick Guest

We love our Aireloom mattress. We have had it for 5 years and it still feels great and no sagging or break down. The foundation box springs are a 8-way tie coil and we were told by salesman that the foundation is just as important as mattress. It wasn't cheap, but we feel it was a great investment. As everyone will tell you, try them out at the dealer, mattress shopping takes time, but it is very relaxing

On the vacation we just took, we stayed two nights at The Venetian in Las Vegas, and they have memory foam beds. My wife and I couldn't stand it. Way too spongy and way - way - WAY too hot. I had always heard how hot they sleep, but never experienced one until last week. I don't know how they sell them to anyone. I almost moved to the floor of the room....

BTW, one of my long-term customers is a well-respected orthopedic surgeon. He was in the store 2 weeks ago (he's been shopping with me for 26 years) and I said "Mike, what should people buy for bedding if they have back issues? They ask me that all the time" His answer was "Whatever they like. If they want their back pain to go away they need to lose weight and exercise, the bed won't matter". True story.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

JeffNev Guest

Sadly I have long been plagued by back problems but recently purchased a new mattress which has made it slightly better https://www.hamseys.co.uk/product/me...5000-sleeptek/

organic_smallhome Guest

We bought a latex mattress and have never looked back: back pain gone. Many different brands/quality to choose from, but we've been very happy with the mid-range Saatva (we chose the "Luxury Firm" density). We also have been using medium-density latex pillows for years, which immediately eliminated neck pain. I agree with Duane about the memory foam, though: I couldn't stand it.

As any Orthopedic physician will tell you , the key to eliminating back pain for most people is probably what you don't want to hear:

1) Lose weight
    2) Exercise

The Mattress is not going to fix it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

For back support, the firm and medium firm mattresses are good because they can hold your spine perfectly as like as natural shape and relieves pain gradually. Modern memory foam mattresses have beedn design to provide highest perfect back support. I am using a firm memory foam mattress for last few years. It's great for sound back support.

I used to have terrible lower back agony, because of a cruiser mishap. want a mattress for my self. any suggestion?

I agree with Duane, that no mattress is gonna totally rid you of your backpain and comfort level is going to be subjective. I would highly recommend one educates oneself on what goes into a mattress from a site such as
    https://www.themattressunderground.com
    I was in the market for a new mattress a year ago and I was looking to get away from foam mattresses. The foam mattress being made by petroluem derived ingredients has some disadvantages - sleeps hot, may have outgassing etc. So I gravitated towards more natural mattress and chose to go with latex hybrid mattress (latex + spring). Choose good spring systems which give you good edge support etc. Some mattress even have microcoils for a more plush feel. I eventually shortlisted 2 that I liked
    https://www.brentwoodhome.com/produc...nt=42802444492
    https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/
    I would never buy a mattress where they do not tell you clearly what is in each layer (thickness, density, # of coils etc) of their mattress. Having learnt enough from https://www.themattressunderground.com, I felt comfortable ordering my Cedar mattress online and it has worked out pretty well for me. This may not be the best mattress for everybody and there a re lots of other good choices out there. Important thing is to educate oneself understand your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindrasect View Post
    I used to have terrible lower back agony, because of a cruiser mishap. want a mattress for my self. any suggestion?
    Was the rest of the thread helpful?