Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mattress for back pain?

Default Re: Mattress for back pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    Was the rest of the thread helpful?
    yes thread contains many suggestions but I confused which one is better, like I also read https://sortedforyou.com/best-recliners-for-back-pain but I still confused which factors are most important while purchasing one of them. I don't want to spare my money, thanks in advance

No one can tell you what is going to feel good to YOU - if they say they can. well....I have an oceanfront condo in Arizona to sell you.

In my experience, the only thing that alleviates back pain is 1) losing weight, try to get to your BMI level 2) Exercise to strengthen and tone back muscles. That DOES work, but it requires effort.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    No one can tell you what is going to feel good to YOU - if they say they can. well....I have an oceanfront condo in Arizona to sell you.

In my experience, the only thing that alleviates back pain is 1) losing weight, try to get to your BMI level 2) Exercise to strengthen and tone back muscles. That DOES work, but it requires effort.
    Thanks drcollie, I join a yoga class.

Hi, I also suffer from lower back pain i guess its all the years ive spent in construction and the ****ty mattresses that my wife has been choosing. However i did get a medium firm mattress not so long ago and my back does feel like it's getting better. i guess mattresses are all personal preference and you never really know whats best for you until you try them but the medium firm is definitely working for me. Not sure where you are from but i live in Toronto and i bought my mattress from this store called sleep masters canada and actually got a really good deal.

Both my father and my wife have disc herniations in their lower back, and have had plenty of pain to go with them. The mattress that they sleep on is probably the number one thing that makes their pain better or worse (apart from physical activities that aggravates it). They both much prefer firm mattresses to avoid having pain. Even one night on a soft bed will mess them up for days. My dad actually uses a wooden board under a thin futon mattress to sleep on. Yes, it give him some discomfort on pressure points at first, but he got used to that, and it's a lot better than back pain.

Wooden boards may be a little extreme for most people though. My wife and I got a memory foam bed a few years ago, and after the initial adjustment to feeling like you're sleeping in a body mold, her back does very well with it. We had to shell out almost $1k for it, but it was worth every penny. I hope that might help some.

Quote Originally Posted by buckheaddon View Post
    Complex topic. If I understand your situation you were pain free before the new mattress but aren't now. There's a pretty good forum at The Mattress Underground, and Mattress Insight with some pinned threads that discuss the best way to audition and select a new mattress. This requires some basic understanding of the different layers in a mattress. I think it's certainly the case that a mattress won't cure back pain, unless it's a poor mattress that caused the pain in the first place. And in those instances, it should be pretty evident either that the mattress is creating hard pressure points, making it uncomfortable to use for a length of time, or provides insufficient support, leading to poor alignment of your back during sleep. According to Postureg, you may suffer lower back pain due to bad sleeping posture on your mattress.

I don't know the particulars of your new mattress, but at that price point you're probably sleeping on a low-density synthetic foam. That may work well for some people, but there may be longevity issues with the more inexpensive foams.

I keep my mattresses longer than I probably should. The bedding industry likes to cite 8-10 years as a maximum lifetime for mattresses, but I use mine until there's something obviously wrong with them :-) When I purchased a new mattress a few months ago, I was disappointed to find that few manufacturers are making product the way my old mattress was constructed. I auditioned dozens of mattresses all around town and ended up picking up something that is way more expensive than I expected. So far, I'm liking the new mattress. But I liked my old mattress even more, especially considering the life I received from it and the relatively cheap cost compared to what I have now.

Just know that buying a mattress can be harder than buying a car or a house.
    Many mattress brands are available online but for back pain suffers, you have to choose a firm, supportive, and thick mattress which can give you maximum support to your back, hip, and spine. Do not use soft or sinkable mattress if you have any back issues.

7. Default Re: Mattress for back pain?

The issue, back pain is so common that the National Institute of Health estimates 80% of adults in the USA suffer from either acute or chronic back pain. This pain can be caused by a number of variables and your mattress can be a fundamental one. The important matter is that it can cause back pain or make it worse if you’re not sleeping on the right mattress.
    Though I have not experienced such problem yet, I think it's now easy to take some good researches online to get the adjustable, and best suited mattresses ideas considering the practical condition. Also your doctor can suggest the best solution regarding the problem.