Thread: Power Mechanism Failure

Kelols Guest

Default Power Mechanism Failure

Duane, I saw your post about the diagnostics on the power recliner actuator on H&M sofa's. They are using a Ciar motor. The diagnostics really make figuring out problems easy.

However, I have a Miller 7017-PR. The motor in it looks like a Limoss MD-120 with a HC-223 switch. It quit working, and I haven't taken it completely out yet so I can't see the spec tag. I pulled the front pin so I can manually use the chair while I get the problem fixed. It reclines when I press the power switch up button but it won't move, or close, at all when I press the power switch down button. I checked a bunch of stuff including all the plugs, and powered it down for 2 minutes and nothing worked. I was tired so I did not remove the unit completely. I'll pull it out tomorrow.

The power mechanism is still within the 1st year of the 2 year warranty. It's easy to replace. The switch is a pain. I'm not a fan of hidden switches.

I'll try to get the local dealer to start the repair process on Monday but in general, they are so slow I imagine this will take weeks. I don't need a technician to come over and diagnose the problem. By Monday, I'll have it figured out. It's either the actuator or the switch. It's not likely to be the switch since it works in one direction. Five pin switches rarely fail, but I'll check it for an open connection when the buttons are engaged.

Is it okay to use the chair manually? I haven't seen any issues so far. I also have a Miller 7017 and the mechanism in it feels the same as the one in 7017-PR with the motor detached. I was going to look at the 7017 mechanism, but it's completely covered, and I didn't want to pull the nice cover off.

Do you have any tips on getting the chair repaired the easiest and fastest way possible? Does H&M insist on having a tech look at it first, or will they send an actuator and switch together. I know I have to return the defective part to them. That's not a problem.

It was a pain to climb out of when it was reclined about 20 degrees past the first stop! But I didn't want to wait for a tech on Monday to come over and save me.

Thanks Duane.

Default Re: Power Mechanism Failure

There are (5) basic components on these power recliners. 1) Switch 2) Cord 3) Rectifier 4) Transformer 5) Power motor. 90% of the time, a failure is either the cord is pulled out or the switch is bad. Less common is the Transformer, and the Rectifier. The motor unit itself (the most expensive part) almost never fails.

Your selling dealer is supposed to get the part for you, but if they are unresponsive or too slow, you can call H&M @ 828-495-8235 and ask to speak to Melissa (she does all the replacement components). Did you register your warranty using the code on the seat deck label? If you did, it will make it much easier. If not, then the dealer has to speak with Melissa to provide her with order numbers, etc. to process a warranty claim.

No idea if its harmful to operate a power recliner manually - thats never come up before! Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Kelols Guest

Thanks Duane,

I did register it, so that should make it easier.

It's not the transformer. It's getting power. Everything was unplugged and plugged in again so that's not it. The cord isn't cut or damaged. The transformer is already AC to DC so there's no need for a rectifier. I'm going to pull the switch plug and check the resistance in opened and closed states. Then I'll check to see if the motor has an open loop. That's about all I can do. Even then I may not find it.

Thanks for your advice on getting the parts. If the dealer drags their feet like usual, I call H&M. It's either the motor or the switch. I may replace the switch with an external model. I don't like the hidden switch anyway.

And lucks does help. I'll take all I can get!

Kelols Guest

Replaced a faulty switch and the recliner is back in business. I didn't use the HC 223 hidden switch that came with the chair because it has a design flaw that I'm figured would cause more early failures. To replace it I would have to have pulled the seat out of the chair--which is a major pain for me.

I used a two button controller. Pushed it up between the seat and the inside of the arm so it sits just above the cushion. It works just fine. If this one goes bad I can replace it in 15 minutes.

Excellent. The activating switch is usually the fault area in any of these power recliner units that cease to operate. I don't replace a lot of them for customers (2 or 3 per year at most), and its the first thing to check. Glad you were able to solve it. At Market this year, there is a move to change to side mounted activating switches and I'm told Bradington Young is changing all their power motion units to this new design.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.