Ten years ago today I was in a doctor's office after challenging him to find out what was wrong with me after many unsuccessful prior visits and he sent me home with a jug to collect urine samples over 24 hours, something called a 5HIAA test. Never heard of that test, looked it up on the internet and it was to test for Carcinoid Cancer. Seriously? Nahhhh....was he reaching?. I could not possibly believe I might have something like that.

Well, that started a journey the likes of which I had never been on before. I did hit positives on that test and after many more tests did indeed have cancer. There were dark days ahead, the low point was in early December 2005 when I was told I was Stage IV Terminal and nothing could be done about it - the consult oncology surgeon looked right across his desk at me and said I would be dead in 12 to 14 months. My wife Jennifer and I walked out of the doctor's office that day stunned. Rather than accept that diagnosis, I spend hours upon hours studying my disease through the power of the internet. I didn't like that oncology surgeon and quite frankly he irritated and annoyed me with his manner of quitting before we even got started. So I set myself out to study my disease. What is a doctor but someone who went to college for a few more years than I did? If they can learn it, so can I. It was time for a cram session and I spent hours and hours on line reading medical journals. Its amazing what you can learn if you push yourself to get educated on a topic. That research led me to Doc Michael Choti at Johns Hopkins and he saved my life in a difficult surgery in February 2006. What a turn-around.

Being the 10-year anniversary of that nightmare, I reflect upon that experience and am amazed I was cured and remain so today. Statistically, I was an anomaly with this cancer - it always returns within five to seven years, except that mine did not. Dr. Choti said I was the only patient he has ever had where it did not recur. Talk about some heady stuff...

Things I have taken away from that experience.

1) Never give up. NEVER.

2) Remember how hard a disease like this affects your spouse. They are in as much turmoil in it as you are, and we probably don't thank them enough for their steadfast support. THANK YOU JENNIFER. You were there every day for me and you never wavered. You were my rock.

3) Your friends help pull you through. Small gestures, kind words, a few simple deeds help a lot.

4) There are mediocre doctors, good doctors and then there are great doctors. When you are fighting for your life, seek out the great doctors. The good doctors - while well meaning - won't have the skill set needed to save your life. Get out of your comfort zone and go find the best in the world. You have one shot with a terminal disease to do it right, there are no do-overs or second chances.

Many of us will get a life-threatening disease sometime during our life. While your story many not turn out the way mine did, you will never know unless you pull out all the stops. As Winston Churchill said "When you're going through Hell - Keep going".