Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing four new pieces

Barbara Guest

Default Re: Choosing four new pieces

Thank you so much. It looks like I will have to bother you again for price quotes with this leather. I have another question though. When selecting a fabric for a recliner (or sofa), is there a specific material to look for or avoid. I check the double-rub number, but get different opinions as to what is the best number to aim for in these instances.

Default Re: Choosing four new pieces

All depends on what you want out of the fabric. Do you want style, a look, or is durability the key? If the later, the double-wovens and chenilles are the champs at long-lasting. Rub numbers are out there, but quite frankly I don't use them a lot - though I know customers do. Sun damage kills fabric 10x more than friction. Not only does UV fade the fabric, but it breaks down the fibers. So if you want long-lasting, first thing you do is control the sun in the room and secondly stock up on Scotchguard and apply as needed. Do those and you've covered the bulk of what kills fabrics in my opinion. And also know that all man-made fabrics will pill with time. Avoid 100% man-made for that reason and use blends. Best fabrics I have ever seen are Belgian, and are cotton/wool/linen blends but here is too much price resistance on them for most people. Over $ 150 a yard, but they are tremendous.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.