Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recliner guidance

Bingman Guest

Default Recliner guidance

I can't figure out which brand to go with. So many lines from so many manufacturers. I've got Lazyboy recliners from 28 years ago that are solid hardwood frames. However, can't get a decent upholsterer around where I live. We tried that and they wrecked up one of our chairs. Now, we are looking for new recliners. Mostly junk out there. I went to a store today and see Flexsteel recliners but they are made with plywood frames. I want something to hold up. I do enjoy the Lazyboy action...and being able to take the back off. But, Lazyboy is out since they make total garbage today. We bought a set 10 years ago and they barely lasted 5 years.

OK. My question is does Flexsteel make anything worth buying now? Also, I came across a brand called Best chairs. Made in Southern Indiana. I looked under those recliners and they look to be solid hardwood frames. BUT, the cushioning doesn't look that great to me. Although, a fairly comfortable chair. I read this forum and see H&M recliners...but I can't find any retailers within 100 miles of me that carry recliners. I don't even live in the sticks either. I won't buy a chair without trying it first.

What's a decent rocker/recliner in the 1,000-1,200 range? Anything out there?

Default Re: Recliner guidance

You will not find a sold hardwood recliner in the $ 1,000 to $ 1,200 range - its not out there. Hancock and Moore makes the best recliner in the industry and though they use a solid hardwood frame they will have components in the build that are thick laminates as that gives better performance on certain parts. H&M will be 2x your price target, however.

I believe that Bradington Young is the best bang for the buck recliner out there. They do their motion furniture very well and though its a plywood frame, they are solid. Only a few of theirs will meet your price target in leather - most are in the $ 1,500 to $ 1,800 range.

Good luck in your search.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Bingman Guest

Are these chairs having cardboard sides, though? I ask because that is what I've seen on chairs. Now, I did see the Best recliner and I turned it over, and it had solid hardwood frame..not plywood. However, the finish didn't look great on it...although it was fairly comfortable enough for the 900 dollar range. I just had my doubts on it holding up to tell the truth. Maybe they skimp on the leather. It definitely wasn't plywood, though. I was looking at a maple frame under the chair or a very close cousin to maple.

Flexsteel's South Haven recliners use plywood and a legitt platt mechanism, too. So, the difference must be in the finish of the chair. So, you think plywood frame is OK?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You will not find a sold hardwood recliner in the $ 1,000 to $ 1,200 range - its not out there. Hancock and Moore makes the best recliner in the industry and though they use a solid hardwood frame they will have components in the build that are thick laminates as that gives better performance on certain parts. H&M will be 2x your price target, however.

I believe that Bradington Young is the best bang for the buck recliner out there. They do their motion furniture very well and though its a plywood frame, they are solid. Only a few of theirs will meet your price target in leather - most are in the $ 1,500 to $ 1,800 range.

Good luck in your search.

There are no cardboard sides in Bradington Young.

Plywood/laminates are the industry standard.

I used to be a Flexsteel dealer and gave up the line as I saw too many quality control issues for my taste. That was several years ago, they may be putting out a better product now - I've not look at their line recently.
    Duane Collie

Bingman Guest

The industry as a whole must be bad, as I am noticing. I was shocked to see the Best Home Furnishings chair have solid hardwood frame under it. The sides were just the fabric, though. I didn't care for that. I think the sides need something behind the fabric.

I think I found a place that carries HM and BY chairs. I'll take a look there. At this point in my life, I don't need a chair that lasts 30 years...as I'll be gone before then, I imagine. 20 would be a good number. I've read bad reviews on both and I see some people on forums write that their HM cushions aren't holding up past a year...saying the same thing I heard in a store today, "resting on their past laurels". That's what Haverty's guy told me about La-z-boy. But, I didn't see any Haverty chair looking any good.

There are no cardboard sides in Bradington Young.

Plywood/laminates are the industry standard.

I used to be a Flexsteel dealer and gave up the line as I saw too many quality control issues for my taste. That was several years ago, they may be putting out a better product now - I've not look at their line recently.

Hancock and Moore warranties their seat cores and back cores for as long as you own the piece, to the original owner. FYI my oldest H&M piece is a Woodbridge Recliner at 29 years old, and I am still on the original cores and backs. I purchased it in 1987 as part of my initial order as a Hancock and Moore dealer.

I have seen people destroy a recliner in 6 years. Use it completely up to where it is fit only for a dumpster. Usually those are obese retired men that 300+ lbs with bad knees and they drop in the chair every time they go in it, and spend 10 hours a day along with eating every meal in it. I have seen others, like myself, get 30 years out of one. Even the best made chair can be destroyed when abused, and only you know your lifestyle.

You will have to decide for yourself what stories to believe and which to discard. Don't expect any salesperson to talk kindly about a competitor's product when they don't sell the brand.
    Duane Collie

Bingman Guest

I agree with all you said. Here's the thing, though. Today, you absolutely cannot compare a product today with even 10 years ago product. EVERYTHING has been junkified...EVERYTHING. CEO pay will not diminish. Worker pay does not increase for the most part. Where are cuts made? People and quality. You said yourself that the standard now is plywood frame. That's a step down on materials. Junkified.

I am going to go look at at HM and BY someplace. I can't wait to compare them. I'll throw in Smith Brothers, too. I don't know who sells those here, but someone has to in a city this size.

Hancock and Moore warranties their seat cores and back cores for as long as you own the piece, to the original owner. FYI my oldest H&M piece is a Woodbridge Recliner at 29 years old, and I am still on the original cores and backs. I purchased it in 1987 as part of my initial order as a Hancock and Moore dealer.

I have seen people destroy a recliner in 6 years. Use it completely up to where it is fit only for a dumpster. Usually those are obese retired men that 300+ lbs with bad knees and they drop in the chair every time they go in it, and spend 10 hours a day along with eating every meal in it. I have seen others, like myself, get 30 years out of one. Even the best made chair can be destroyed when abused, and only you know your lifestyle.

You will have to decide for yourself what stories to believe and which to discard. Don't expect any salesperson to talk kindly about a competitor's product when they don't sell the brand.

Bingman Guest

Well, went to see BY today. But the place also had a few Norwalk recliners. I liked the Norwalk better. They just felt more comfortable and the Norwalks had hardwood frames. NOW, I did like the BY chair they had. The issue was the leather was too polished or something. I sat in it and slid right down. The BY was 2500 dollars and the Norwalk has a promotion for 1600 on that chair I guess. The lady said she could deal around 25%. The leathers for BY and Norwalk looked quite good compared the Best Home Furnishings chairs. Although, the leathers for all of the chairs, even Best, were top grain. Now, I need to go see a HM chair.

Right now, I'd say the Best Home Furnishings chair had the best initial comfort. The Norwalk would be my next pick on comfort. For a solid feel when getting in and out, I'd give it to the Norwalk. The BY had great action...it was manual and the Norwalk was power. All 3 had no cardboard, and just fabric/leather on the sides. Flexsteels and Lazyboys I looked at had cardboard sides with the fabric covering.

The chair finishing was no comparison. BY and Norwalk looked super nice. No junky stuff hanging out. No loose ends. No staples you can see. Compared to the Best Home Furnishings chair...which did have that sloppier look. Still, initial comfort went to Best, as it had better neck/back support. Don't know. For 800 dollars, though, I can't imagine it holds up. Although, they use the Leggett Platt mechanism, too. So, all 3 used Leggett Platt.
    Last edited by Bingman; 12-13-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Bradington Young uses UniversalMech - which is a made-in-USA mechanism, not Legget and Platt. H&M is a Legget and Platt company, predominately.

The key to recliner longevity is two things:

1) Do not jump out of the chair, or allow someone to come sit in the chair with you when the mechanism is open. Close the mechanism fully before getting out of the chair. Don't let someone come sit on the arm of the recliner when its open. Mechanism are susceptible to damage when open, but are remarkably strong when closed. In my store I see two out of three people getting out of the recliner after a test sit before its fully closed they are standing up when the mechanism is mostly (but not always) closed. Mind that and you won't shear rivets...which is the most common cause of recliner mechanism failure.

2) Do not fall into the chair - or plop down into it. Many people do this and its really hard on the chair frame. They position themselves at the edge of the chair and just let their body fall into it. Put your hands on the arms and lower yourself into the chair and you avoid all that structural pressure on the frame. Imagine you have a wooden box and a giant bag of dog food that is 150 lb. You toss that 150 bag onto the wood box. Will that box loosen its joints over time after you've tossed that bag on it 300 or 400 times? You bet it will. Now take that same 150 lb bag of dog food and place it on the box. Do that and the box will stand forever.

How you use the recliner will go a long ways towards how long components will last.
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-14-2015 at 11:12 AM.
    Duane Collie

Bingman Guest

Thanks for the clarification on those mechanisms. EXCELLENT tips, too.

Bradington Young uses UniversalMech - which is a made-in-USA mechanism, not Legget and Platt. H&M is a Legget and Platt company, predominately.

The key to recliner longevity is two things:

1) Do not jump out of the chair, or allow someone to come sit in the chair with you when the mechanism is open. Close the mechanism fully before getting out of the chair. Don't let someone come sit on the arm of the recliner when its open. Mechanism are susceptible to damage when open, but are remarkably strong when closed. In my store I see two out of three people getting out of the recliner after a test sit before its fully closed they are standing up when the mechanism is mostly (but not always) closed. Mind that and you won't shear rivets...which is the most common cause of recliner mechanism failure.

2) Do not fall into the chair - or plop down into it. Many people do this and its really hard on the chair frame. They position themselves at the edge of the chair and just let their body fall into it. Put your hands on the arms and lower yourself into the chair and you avoid all that structural pressure on the frame. Imagine you have a wooden box and a giant bag of dog food that is 150 lb. You toss that 150 bag onto the wood box. Will that box loosen its joints over time after you've tossed that bag on it 300 or 400 times? You bet it will. Now take that same 150 lb bag of dog food and place it on the box. Do that and the box will stand forever.

How you use the recliner will go a long ways towards how long components will last.