Thread: Taylor King Cozy Creations vs Portfolio Line. Plus question on Temple sofa

Default Taylor King Cozy Creations vs Portfolio Line. Plus question on Temple sofa

Can anyone tell me if construction is the same in each of these Taylor King lines? Are they each 8 way hand tied, kiln dried solid wood, dowel and glue, corner blocking? Is there information anywhere that will tell me which fabrics are available in the Cozy Creations? (I found Doug C's post regarding the Portfolio fabrics so i don't need that). Do i need to contact Taylor King to find a dealer of the Portfolio collection or would anyone know if there is a Portfolio dealer within approx 50 miles of central new jersey?

Does anyone know how well the standard cushion on the Cozy Collection holds up?

i was also considering a sofa from Temple but am reluctant about the cushions and wonder if anyone bought one recently and has any feedback regarding how well the sofa cushions are holding up.

Default Re: Taylor King Cozy Creations vs Portfolio Line. Plus question on Temple sofa

The only difference between Taylor King main line frames and Cozy Creations is that you cannot customize the Cozy series as the frames are not made in-house. Years ago, Cozy was the promotional line but has since been sidelined and Portfolio is now the promotional feature. They still do the Cozy line but its not as broad in depth as it once ones. Portfolio is main line Taylor King and just offered in certain fabrics at a more aggressive price point. Build standards are the same in all three, and all have the construction standards you mention.

Cozy uses all the standard TK Fabrics. Portfolio ones are listed here on the forum in the FABRIC UPHOLSTERY section. No idea who the TK dealers are in your area or who has the Portfolio collections on display. I can tell you I do in my store, but that's a 3 hour drive from mid-state New Jersey.

Cushions hold up well, no issues. Temple is good furniture as well, I used to sell t hem. Some of their designs were not all that comfortable, that's why we kind of got away from them - but it was never a build quality issue.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Taylor King Cozy Creations vs Portfolio Line. Plus question on Temple sofa

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The only difference between Taylor King main line frames and Cozy Creations is that you cannot customize the Cozy series as the frames are not made in-house. Years ago, Cozy was the promotional line but has since been sidelined and Portfolio is now the promotional feature. They still do the Cozy line but its not as broad in depth as it once ones. Portfolio is main line Taylor King and just offered in certain fabrics at a more aggressive price point. Build standards are the same in all three, and all have the construction standards you mention.

Cozy uses all the standard TK Fabrics. Portfolio ones are listed here on the forum in the FABRIC UPHOLSTERY section. No idea who the TK dealers are in your area or who has the Portfolio collections on display. I can tell you I do in my store, but that's a 3 hour drive from mid-state New Jersey.

Cushions hold up well, no issues. Temple is good furniture as well, I used to sell t hem. Some of their designs were not all that comfortable, that's why we kind of got away from them - but it was never a build quality issue.
    Thankyou so much Doug,i was told that for the Cozy Creations i can pick legs, arms, cushion backs and seat cushions so when you say that Cozy Creations can't be customized, i assume you mean that i can't designate a different seat depth or height. Am i right? If so, that's ok by me, I'm 5'7 and the 22" depth and 21" cushion height is comfortable to me. Can you explain the significance of a line being "promotional"or not? Last, would you say the construction of the Taylor King is better than the Temple? If yes,in what way?My quotes indicate the Cozy creations would be $300 more than the Temple and while the amount isn't substantial to most, i wonder if i'm really getting a better product or if i'm wasting $300. The fabrics are Level 1 (tk) and Body Builders (Temple). Can you shed a little light on what was uncomfortable about some of the Temple designs? Is their fabric craftmanship good?
    Last edited by nmchugh6@verizon.net; 01-06-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Correct. No frame mods on the Cozy series.

'Promotional" means selected covers on best selling frames at reduced price points.

Temple is not poorly made at all. The differences are mostly what you can see and feel. I find their line to be a bit uninspired and dowdy when I see it at Market. Workmanship is acceptable but not stellar. If you like their offerings you can be confident it is well built and will give you good service duty.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.