Thread: Can anyone suggest a furniture layout for my den?

Default Can anyone suggest a furniture layout for my den?

I'm thinking I'll buy a couch, two chairs and an ottoman. The den is viewable from the kitchen which has a half wall and a countrheight table and chairs will be in the kitchen. i have two simple stools on the den side of the half wall. I find floating furniture to be a nice look but i don't know how to do it because thereare no floor outlets for electricity. Any ideas for floating or not floating would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor plan 01052016.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	7985  

Default Re: Can anyone suggest a furniture layout for my den?

You space is not that large, so you have to watch the scale of the pieces you would use. I am not sure its big enough to float the pieces in the room. You have a walkway to the kitchen so you don't want to be blocking that. I'm thinking a sofa on the wall opposite the fireplace. a nice comfy lounge chair in the corner below the fireplace, and then a small occasional chair between the room and the kitchen....would be better if you can take some photos of the room and post them here.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thankyou again Doug. Here are some photos. I hope they help give a better idea. I should have pointed out that the floor plan shows a tv on the masterbedroom wall of the den. I don't have a fireplace.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hallway entrance.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	7997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	denrightmbwall.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	7998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchnlooktoguestbr.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	7999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen view intoden.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	8000

Looks like you can think of your Den as 13' X 15 1/2' at minimum to consider layout options. One thought, given you are using a Counter Height Table & Chairs in the kitchen, would be to get rid of the two stools and consider the Den side of that hall / access. Use the pass-through as a center of all the items many people use a desk for, but keep it neat and relatively open. You would have a plate or box like container for keys, a divider for mail / bills / checks. The pass-through would for viewing and participating with whatever is going on in the Den even while you are busy in the kitchen. The Counter Height Table and Chairs would allow TV viewing via the pass-through to the Den. If that sounds at all interesting, then you would have the option of a small sectional with it's back facing the Pass-Through yet leaving the normal hall width behind the sectional. The other part of the sectional would be on the Master Bedroom wall. Your TV would be just to the right of the sliders, but not over in the corner where it currently is. You would use an ottoman that doubles as a small coffee table in front of the sectional. On the Guest Room Wall in the Den you would have two small occasional chairs and a small table. If you don't like the sectional idea, you could have your three-cussioned sofa on the Guest Room wall with a standard coffee table in front of it. On the Master Bedroom Den wall you would have the two occasional chairs and the TV again to the right of the sliders. In this more traditional arrangement, you could keep the two stools and the pass-through. In any event you should consider an area rug to pull the Den together.

Not sure if you can move the TV over to the other side of the room due to cables, etc, but from what I can tell it would work better on that wall, rather than where you have it now. Wall mount it, then your upholstery across from it where you now have the TV, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.