Thread: Size restricted sectional

DADDYO Guest

Default Size restricted sectional

(2nd try posting)

I am looking for a fabric L shaped sectional with 2 specific restrictions:
    1. It must have a wedge corner unit. (with seating for 6 total)
    2. It must be at or under 129" x 102".

RAF Loveseat + wedge + LAF couch.
    Looking to spend under $5000 for the 3 pieces.
    Best construction within my price range.

The 102" restriction (with a wedge) seems to be the deal breaker most of the time.
    I have searched many brands.
    Three possibilities I have found are:
    1. King Hickory (aka Hickory Manor)... Bentley or Chatham
    2. Basset... Design studio (small scale)
    3. Flexsteel... Thorton (and others)

I have read that Flexsteel's quality (except the suspension) is no longer as good as it once was.

The Basset seems to flex a great deal more...When you pick up one leg the other leg does not come off the ground until you lift it 3 inches as compared to 1 inch for a King Hickory couch. Also when trying to wiggle the Basset's arms, many of them are loose on floor models. They use 8 layered engineered wood (plywood) that they claim is stronger than hardwood construction. In addition they use fabric webbing without any steel in the seat back. They have a drop-in coil which they claim is stronger than 8 way hand tied.

The King Hickory/Hickory Manor has less flex in the frame and generally feels more solid. They use kiln dried hardwood frames double doweled, glued and braced with corner blocks. King Hickory uses 8 way hand tied double cone coil springs in the base and they also use back springs. High resiliency foam, fiber and polyester cover are inside cushions.

We would be choosing a durable but relatively inexpensive fabric on any sectional.

We prefer a panel or sock arm, box welt loose cushions, tapered leg and not very deep seats.

The Flexsteel is around $3,600-$4,300 depending on model
    The Basset is around $3,400
    King Hickory $4,200-$4,600 depending on the sale.

We also looked at a Smith Brothers of Berne sectional that was in our size limits and great quality for around $5,200, but the cushions were very narrow (measured at 21") and was just too small.

We are leaning towards the King Hickory.

Any comments or alternative suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DADDYO; 01-12-2016 at 02:43 AM.

Default Re: Size restricted sectional

King Hickory is the best of the three that you are looking at, by a wide margin.

That 102" dimension is not all that limiting. For example the Taylor King 'Taylor Made' unit is 44.5" on the -15 corner unit. and 57" on the -21 loveseat segment, or 101.5" total. Using a sofa segment -32 on the other side makes it 125.5". In the Portfolio GR 1 Collection you would price out at $ 3,939 + shipping to your location. If you can take the corner integrated into the chassis and go to a 2-piece unit the price drops further to $ 3,303 because you are making it up in two pieces instead of three, and the wall length decrease 1" in that configuration to 100.5". So you can save around $ 600 by buying a 2-piece sectional vs a 3 -piece, and the 2-piece holds up better to boot. Only do a 3-piece when you have to go that way because of ingress difficulties into the room.

So you can see, there are many options. Taylor King and King Hickory have nearly identical build standards. Good luck in your search!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

DADDYO Guest

Duane,
    Thanks so much for responding.
    I looked at Taylor King online but was unable to find a sectional (with a wedge corner) under 102".
    I guess I should have been more specific in what I meant by a "wedge".
    The corner unit needs to have an angled front to accommodate a person's legs.
    Sometimes this is called a curved corner, or a quarter turn, or if the back of the couch is not curved it is sometimes called a wedge piece (5 sided).
    Thanks again!

Peter

I was basing that on where you said an L-shaped sectional, which to me means a 90 degree corner, rather than the 45 degree wedge. If you have space constraints, you may have to consider that 90 degree corner to get a fit. Very few people ever sit in the corner on a sectional, mostly that's an area to splay out in. You will get a better proportionally sized unit with a 90 degree corner that will look better than trying to locate an out-of-scale 45 degree wedge unit to fit...just my opinion.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.