Thread: In the Market for Faux Leather Upholstered Furniture

charcup Guest

Default In the Market for Faux Leather Upholstered Furniture

Wasn't sure if this should be posted in leather or fabric, sorry if discussing faux is a faux-pa.

My husband and I bought a faux leather sectional from SAMs club a couple of years ago for our game room, it was a floor model, we paid like $650.
    Places where people sit a lot are starting to sag really bad- you get what you pay for.
    However, this faux leather is amazing! It looks really nice, pebbled. A true brown, not too red, not too grey. It's soft and smooshy. I can clean and disinfect it with abrasive cleaners, and it has held up to liquor infused parties, 2 cats, 1 dog, and some serious couch potato binges.

I have no idea who manufactured this piece, there are no tags on it, and I've googled forever and can't seem to get a lead.
    I've even gone around to local furniture stores to check out their faux leathers, but they are ugly. Whatever this version of faux is, it is extremely good looking!

So, who makes faux leather couches with good bones and guts?

Default Re: in the market- faux leather

Unfortunately, SAMS CLUB and COSTCO sell the cheapest of the cheap, and a short lifespan before they sag out is inevitable. These pieces are sure to come from one of the Chinese factories somewhere....

Faux leather is nothing more than vinyl. And vinyl is a plastic. So you can buy any vinyl covered piece and have the same thing. However, there is very little demand for this sort of thing (High build quality, Vinyl Cover) except in medical furniture. They do not use leather in medical furnishings and instead do high grade vinyl for the water resistance / roll off features.

I have custom made high end pieces in top-of-the-line vinyl for customers who are mostly animal-skin adverse and won't own leather. The price is the same as real leather. My suggestion would be to skip the vinyl, because it won't last in the long run (10 years +) and go with real leather that will. You'll be way ahead in the long run.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

charcup Guest

Thank you for the reply.

While searching around I started to get the feeling that well constructed, poly leather furniture would be a headache to find.

Working in healthcare has made me a bit of a germophobe, it is nice to use alcohol based cleaners, that peace of mind.
    I'm not neurotic about disinfecting though.

Thanks for the advice.

Have a good one!

Take a look for a rather plain jane white rectangular label on the bottom of the sofa, as there should be some form of manufacturer's label present on the sofa -- it may allow you to figure out who manufactured the unit. (Or it may identify a factory in China, without any way to track down the company that hired the factory to build its furniture.)