Thread: Unprotected alternative to columbia - maybe?

bdoncaster Guest

Default Unprotected alternative to columbia - maybe?

Hi everyone. This forum has been a wealth of information, but I'm still agonizing over the leather selection for a H&M Smithfield sofa (5914) the wife and I are planning to get. We picked out Columbia Molasses from the local dealers handles based solely on the color and feel but I am slightly concerned about the choice. I think I would prefer an unprotected leather, but we aren't interested in the pull-up leathers or reddish undertones. Probably need to stay at or below Grade 3 but plan on having the sofa for a long time too and want to make the right choice.

So the question is, is there a recommended unprotected leather, straight brown or brown with cooler undertones, in grades 2 or 3?

---
    The closest I have found is Equestrian, but the sample seemed very pebbled to the point of being more appropriate for the NFL than a sofa. Was that just an artifact of the sample coming from drops, or does the whole hide have that level of texture?

Default Re: Unprotected alternative to columbia - maybe?

Columbia is a semi-aniline hide, and its decent, but won't be mistaken for a pure aniline. Equestrian is a solid performer, but it is more pebbly and grainy then others. My picks for pure anilines... GR 2 would be Atticus, GR 3 I like Bari (still some highlighted grain patterns) or Weston. Now if you really want to get a gorgeous hide, then Capri/Quintessence or Arizona, but now you are at GR 4.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.