Thread: Introduction: Howdy from Texas!

Default Introduction: Howdy from Texas!

Hi, y'all.

My husband and I are working with Duane toward ordering the following items: the Tavern sofa, a pair of Raleigh wing chairs, and a Chippendale ottoman. Deciding on which pieces we want was no problem. Choosing the leathers has taken a bit longer! I have been lurking and poring over the forum and have found it invaluable. What a terrific source.

Following is the process we have followed for selecting leathers:

1) I read forum members' advice, looked at all of the related forum photos, spoke with Duane, messaged with a forum member (artielange), viewed the H&M website's leather photos, and then my husband and I visited a local showroom to take a look at whatever H&M samples they have available. They had a few on our list.

2) My husband is rock solid with Capri Tobacco for the sofa. Also, initially, we thought we would use the same whatever leather for all pieces. However, once we decided on Capri Tobacco for the sofa, we started considering using a lighter but complimentary leather for the chairs and ottoman. Capri Tobacco appears to be a warm tone in the browns, so I started searching for a similarly toned lighter brown.

3) I found artielange's thread regarding her Author chair upholstered in Hyde Park Tan (lightly burnished). Through reading her thorough description and viewing the posted photos, I knew we were on the right path and that Hyde Park Tan (lightly burnished) is the likely winner. Since we had not seen the Hyde Park Tan when we visited the showroom, I message artielange and asked for her opinions and real-life user observations. She very kindly answered every question. Thank you, artielange!

4) I then messaged with Duane and had any and all lingering doubts resolved. Even though earlier I had asked Duane to have H&M mail me some samples, that original list did not include Hyde Park Tan or Weston Tobacco (suggested by artielange as another terrific leather similar in color to Capri Tobacco). I thought, "Uh-oh. If I ask for additional samples so soon after he's just placed the first samples order, I'm going to cause a dust-up." I was wrong. Duane very kindly informed me that he is directly mailing his own samples of those two that didn't make the initial list. And, he didn't even grump about it! Thank you, Duane!

So, that's where we are in the process. Without Duane and all of the contributing forum members, we would be a lot more stressed and have much less confidence. Again, thank you. The forum and its members who post questions and/or advice provide a truly educational resource. You are appreciated!

Finally, through the years, I have owned three pieces of H&M. Hands down, the best made pieces I have ever owned. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to be talked into selling them. I know. I must have temporarily blacked out. I think, hopefully, that I am now smarter than a lab rat and will never repeat that bit of ugly history. We are excited about placing this H&M order!

TXCajun

artielange Guest

Default Re: Introduction: Howdy from Texas!

There is no one better than Duane for customer service! I wish I had another house to decorate as choosing furniture and leather with Duane is so enjoyable. I am in the process of emptying my phone pictures onto my work computer and just saw a picture of one of my Weston Sunrise chairs that may give you a better idea of it's low sheen, sumptuous look. It was a pleasure talking with you online, and I'm happy I was able to help. These forums are an absolute treasure and they allow all of us to make much more informed and better decisions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hancock Moore.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	8198

Default Re: Introduction: Howdy from Texas!

We have a mutual admiration thing going on here, artielange! You have a better decorating eye than most 'professional decorators' I have worked with in the business. You make bold choices and they come out...fantastic. You have a knack for putting together a look - you go easily go pro! So for all you other folks on the forum, she's your 'go to' person when you need some advice here on decor.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.