Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to buy H&M leather sofa and recliner

Tabby Guest

Default Wanting to buy H&M leather sofa and recliner

Wonderful forum--I've learned a lot here, and I'm now leaning towards H&M thanks to what I've read here (as opposed to the B-Y we first saw and liked).

I'm dragging (hopefully) my husband to FurnitureLand South tomorrow (we live about 100 miles away) to sofa sit. I've already been to 2 of the bigger places in my area to browse, and they don't have much to try out.

From looking at the online catalog, we like the 'Journey' recliner and sofa. What I like about H&M is that you can get replacement cushion cores if you someday need to, so does anyone know if they can also be replaced on that particular recliner and sofa back cushions (they aren't the loose variety). Hubby doesn't want the bolster (is it called?) look ("double" cushion back).

And question about which leather grade to look at: we have 2 cats, and while they don't intentionally scratch on furniture, they can't help but have their back claws "engaged" when they jump off. I know some leathers show marks worse than others. We currently have a leather ottoman they've spent years jumping and playing on, and they've never punctured it, but if you look closely, you do see lots of "scratches". I just want the most forgiving for pet owners.... Of course, with new furniture, we'll do our best to discourage the new leather pieces (there will be 2 fabric chairs in the room, also, which they'll probably prefer).

Thanks!!!

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Re: Wanting to buy H&M leather sofa and recliner

Furniture Land South is a great place to go shop furniture. We live in the Charlotte area and have visited there. We just ordered and H&M recliner, but ordered from a local dealer as the pricing was very close and we like having a dealer we purchase from close by. In the past when making big furniture purchases we went to FLS and picked it out and bought it from Charlotte dealers because of free financing. FLS is a cash or credit card dealer, they do not offer financing at all. From my own experience, with dogs mind you, its a lost cause trying to keep them off the furniture. My dog actually sleeps on a blanket on our sofa, he never was in to ground level dog beds. He however does not like to lay on the bare sofa, he does not like leather, your cats may be the same way. Like Duane has said on these forums many times, the grade has more to do with the price than how well the hide will hold up. The protected will hold up better for nasty spills, I don't think it will hold up any better to nail scratches, Duane can correct me if I am wrong. If money is not a object get what you like and makes you happy. If you take care of it they all will last a long time. When purchasing a piece of furniture pay attention to the dimensions. The inside depth of a sofa is a good one to consider if you like to snuggle on the sofa with your hubby. I wished I had purchased a sofa with more depth. I like the look of the Journey for sure.

The grade of the leather is not indicative of durability or quality, a number of people get confused by that. Its simply a pricing grade, nothing more. Its what the manufacturer has to pay the leather vendor for the hides. What would be the 'best' leather for cats launching off of is hard to say. Leather is a skin, and like our own skin is like asking which person is less likely to get scratched by a cat claw? Not sure there is an answer to that, at least not an honest one. Myself I find the Burnished leathers hold up to my Cairn Terrier jumping on them in the quest to catch squirrels. Not that they are tougher, but they are far easier to touch up if there is any damage due to the glazing properties of burnished leather. I just get some oil-based burnt umber (from the artists craft store) and rub a little in, shade it and it mostly dissapears.

Yes, you can replace the back cores on a Journey. Its a semi-attached back so its not easy to do as you have to stuff them in from the bottom, but it can be done.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Tabby Guest

Thanks for the replies and info. Now, after visiting FLS and talking to a wonderful H&M rep there, I just need to make a decision and pull the plug....

Unfortunately, FLS did not have a Journey on display any longer. Seems we were about 2 months too late to sit in one there. BUT, hubby got to see their chair cut-away to view the construction and sit in a few to decide on a cushion, etc. He did enjoy the comfort of the Austin series, but still likes the look of the Journey (in pictures) much better. It's just scary to order something you've never sat in before.....

I need to reread the info on Town and Country. We did like 2 colors in it: Document Bark and Document Chestnut. Have you seen these colors on furniture? Which is the more "neutral" (less reddish, I guess--we have some "rust" colors in our house)?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    Thanks for the replies and info. Now, after visiting FLS and talking to a wonderful H&M rep there, I just need to make a decision and pull the plug....

Unfortunately, FLS did not have a Journey on display any longer. Seems we were about 2 months too late to sit in one there. BUT, hubby got to see their chair cut-away to view the construction and sit in a few to decide on a cushion, etc. He did enjoy the comfort of the Austin series, but still likes the look of the Journey (in pictures) much better. It's just scary to order something you've never sat in before.....

I need to reread the info on Town and Country. We did like 2 colors in it: Document Bark and Document Chestnut. Have you seen these colors on furniture? Which is the more "neutral" (less reddish, I guess--we have some "rust" colors in our house)?

Thank you!
    "* There is a second tier in this promotion on frames, at slightly higher prices. These will be alternate colors to the ones being offered in the inset 'married cover' prices and done from loose hides in Hickory, NC.

Example: In the Austin series # 2038NB, High Back Tilt Chair, the Married Covers are Document Chestnut, Cavalier Henna or Cavalier Oxblood. Those leathers source from a tannery in China and are cut and sewn to that frame pattern in China, and will have the best price point. But lets say you prefer Document Copper over the Chestnut, or one of the other 20 colors of Document. You can still get that piece in the T&C promotion, but they are going to cut and sew the Copper here in the USA. Price difference between the married cover kit of Chestnut and the cut to order Copper will be about 15%."

Remember you can get that sofa in the T&C Promotion in Document Bark or Document Chestnut, but it will be about 15% more than the married cover for the Journey, which is Document Tobacco.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...1&d=1406324311
    Last edited by Kyracer57; 02-07-2016 at 05:00 PM.

A Journey and Austin High Back will sit very similar, two caveats 1) The arm on a Journey will always be more wrinkled and more plush than an Austin. 2) You will get more puddling on the back Cushions of a Journey than an Austin High Back. Neither is an issue, just different.

You can go into the PHOTOS section here on the forum and see pictures of pieces made up in both those leathers.

FYI my prices beat FLS every day.
    Duane Collie

I re-read all the posts here to see if anyone had mentioned actually looking through all the H&M leather samples at a Dealer / Retailer and didn't see any. Most H&M Retail locations would have a ring-book to see and touch each offered leather. Keep in mind samples and the finished product can differ particularly in some leathers (ex. burnished, natural markings, etc.). You can also order specific samples from a Dealer. An important question to ask about 'Pricing' with regard to the T&C Promotional Program is... "How much extra would it be to select another T&C Promotional Leather Cover not shown with the specific style (ex. Journey)? And in conjunction with that question & answer... "Is one Leather choice a 'better' choice than another (ex. Document vs. Portfolio), and why? Now regarding cats with front claws removed and rear claws kept trimmed... Every time my daughter's family goes out of town for an extended trip we have her two cats over to our house. We have several H&M pieces with different leathers and after several years of cat visits no evidence what-so-ever of any scratching. Some times they have made a major jump from the back of our recliner to a large chest and still no impact. When they first visited we had placed blankets over the backs of the furniture but not any more.

Mac33 Guest

In the market for Living Room furniture. I like the BY Alta recliners but they do not have a matching sofa. I really like the H&M Sundance line but it is a bit pricey. I also saw online the H &M Westwood collection. Anyone familiar with the Westwood reclining sofa and chair. Thanks

The Westwood is an updated version of the Austin series. It' so new I doubt you will not find it at any dealer to speak of and no customers have it yet. It was just introduced at the Fall High Point Market and my first one for floor stock showed up last week. Its going to take a few months to see distribution on it and a few more after that for any consumer feedback.
    Duane Collie

Mac33 Guest

Thanks, may wait and see what the feedback is.