Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the H&M Harbison Recliner the right chair?

jchrestman Guest

Default Is the H&M Harbison Recliner the right chair?

I need help with this. I know it's difficult talking about furniture and not knowing the individual wanting answers. First, I'm tall. Second, I'm disabled. Third, I'm not young.....59. Just the basics and we will go from there. The back of the chair has to be high enough to support my head in all chair positions. The seat has to be of a reasonable height above the ground. Finally, the arms have to extend to the front edge of the seat. These last two criteria relate to my disability and make getting out of a chair easier for me. Obviously, if you have looked at every recliner that H&M offers you will understand why I am curious about the Harbison. Admittedly I also like its simple lines, although I do not like the leather it is shown in I would choose leather upholstery.

OK. So does anyone, including Duane, have any insight, experience, suggestions, or questions to help me find that chair I can read in, watch TV in, nap in, daydream in, or escape to when I can't sleep at night? Any thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated.

John

Hi John,

I have not sold that model 7079 recliner, but looking at the specs it should meet all your criteria. I have sold a number of # 1044 Sadlers (and have one in my own home) and they spec out about the same. As I've never sat in the first uncomfortable H&M recliner, I'd have no trouble recommending one based on specs.

One other thing you may want to consider is a power recliner, which is where I think you should be shopping. Any H&M recliner that has an - L suffix is a power Lift and power Recline. This means the mechanism is not only power operated (recline to and fro), but another button actually lifts the chair vertically and stands you on your feet. Only the 3000 series recliners are available as power lifts. Look at # 3032-L, # 3037-L, # 3024-L, 3014-L, 3014-L, (as the tallest back height models). These all have electric motors in them and will of course need to be accessible to a wall outlet, but sounds like they would suit you better than a manual unit. One other advantage to the power units is you can stop them anywhere in the motion range by just releasing the button. Manual recliners have detents in them at full upright, TV watch position, and then full recline, so your choices on where to stop the piece are more limited. Power units will be more expensive as you would expect. Just to pull out one price, the #3024-L Cody (tallest of them all) is $ 2,115 in a grade 1 leather plus shipping and the same chair in manual mode is $ 1,682. So the power features are costing you $ 433 in that chair. May well be worth it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jchrestman Guest

Default Duane thank you for moving my post

It seems to be getting a few more views. Just hoping someone might have some experience with the H&M Harbison Recliner (#7007) they might pass on. My problem is there is no way I am going to find a dealer even remotely close to me that would have one on the floor. As you know carrying many pieces of H&M inventory can be an expensive proposition and the Harbison seems to be off most folks radar. Nevertheless, I contacted the two stores I know of in my area that deal H&M and asked for quotes on the Harbison Recliner with class 3 leather.

First one was almost $3800 + tax (8.75%+ here in CA) + delivery. Also confirmed that there is no additional charge for a different colored welt as long as it is of the same or lesser class, which I believe you have repeatedly told us on this site.

The second, and this made me smile, was just over $5000. I made no comment regarding the first quote and continued chatting about the welt bit, quality of H&M, and good leather. Just as I was about to ring off the sales person mentioned that if I bought next week I could get a considerable discount. Which would reduce the initial quote to just over $3500 + tax + delivery.

I only asked about delivery cost from the first vendor. I didn't ask the second because I guess I was too stunned by the sudden discounting.

Are these REASONABLE prices? Thanks for any opinion you can provide.

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by jchrestman; 06-12-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Hi John,

Its going to be difficult to find a H&M dealer with that recliner on the floor, mainly because its one that doesn't come up on the 'deal' programs offered for floor stock. Dealers are acutely tuned in to floor model pricing, and loathe putting most pieces out on display that are not on promotional buy.

Afraid your CA dealers are high on price. I would sell you that piece # 7007 in any Class 3 leather for $ 2,387. Home Delivery Service will charge you $ 216 to place it in your home and I do not collect CA sales tax. HDS runs a truck to California every 4 to 5 weeks, so the downside will be that it will lengthen delivery time by a few weeks vs going with a local buy. However your landed cost will be over a thousand dollars less so it may be the way to go for you.

Correct, there is no additional charge from H&M for contrasting welt that is equal to or a lesser grade leather than the main hide for the piece. Most other leather houses DO charge extra for that option, but H&M does not.

One of the things I do for my customers is to offer a "no-fault" guarantee if ordering sight unseen. As long as you aren't ordering a recliner in pink and yellow leather, if it arrives and you really don't like it, I allow for a return and credit for another selection. This of course only works well for my local WASH DC customers as it it gets expensive to try to do that from California (I don't pay for shipping or delivery when we do this). You can ask your local dealers if they will offer that to you as well - they certainly have enough extra profit in their prices to cover such an event.

Let me know if I can assist further.....
    Duane Collie

jchrestman Guest

Default Pick me up off the floor............

Hey Duane,
    What can I say.....you just blew me away!!!! I was just signing off and thought I would see if by some small chance you had responded. I'm sitting here laughing and smiling. I want to reach out and shake your hand. I will be in touch. Thank You!
    Regards,
    John

karlos Guest

Thumbs up great deal

I just recieved the kodiak sofa in antelope harness and robinson ottoman, :and saved thousands $$$ from the local stores that sell H@M. I posted some photos in resource photos, It feels like a fine leather jacket . we all love it and are not sure which recliner too get next. Karl

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jchrestman View Post
    Hey Duane,
    What can I say.....you just blew me away!!!! I was just signing off and thought I would see if by some small chance you had responded. I'm sitting here laughing and smiling. I want to reach out and shake your hand. I will be in touch. Thank You!
    Regards,
    John
    Operators are standing by.......
    Duane Collie

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    I just recieved the kodiak sofa in antelope harness and robinson ottoman, :and saved thousands $$$ from the local stores that sell H@M. I posted some photos in resource photos, It feels like a fine leather jacket . we all love it and are not sure which recliner too get next. Karl
    I think Karl and I spend more time on the phone talking about BMW cars and Boeing aircraft than we do leather furniture!
    Duane Collie

artielange Guest

Hey, if there's a BMW discussion, I'm there! Duane, I never told you about the time I won a BMW SCCA Autocross in a class with 19 men, one being my husband (who came in second). One of my life's proudest moments!

Good for you, Judy! I used to be a very avid autocrosser, and never missed a one. Then I started doing track days and soon was an Instructor for various high-performance Driving Schools. I was on the verge of buying a BMW Club Racer when 09/11 hit and the furniture biz tanked. Its an expensive hobby....

I still get out to the track as an instructor once in a while, but most free Sundays I'd rather head out to the mountains on my BMW motorcycle instead.
    Duane Collie