Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the H&M Harbison Recliner the right chair?

jchrestman Guest

Default The swatches were a good cross section

Duane,

I think Equestrian will be my choice. I eat in my chair too often and any significant stains/scratches that I would call 'character' I am afraid my wife would see as faults. We used to spar around about oriental rugs because we sold them for a few years and I loved village and country/nomad rugs where she leaned to city rugs. As you said Equestrian provides the best of both worlds, quality and serviceability. I am patient and I refuse to give up on her 'conversion' to leather. Though admittedly I could tell she was quite impressed with the handle and suppleness of the one Capri Butternut sample you had H&M send. We are both somewhat afraid of the 'special effects' shading in the Capri line. It seems to work on some pieces and not on others. By that I mean that on some pieces it looks contrived. I think the specific color has something to do with that and also I am looking at pictures taken under diverse situations. Please be assured that the quote you gave me for the Harbison Recliner 7007, which I thank you for, has nothing to do with this. I am 'green-lighted' to get whatever I want and the price bump is not a material consideration.

The two Equestrian swatches were Desert and Toffee. I will send you a PM requesting some more swatches from Equestrian and yes, Capri (I can't help myself). If that's an issue let me know. Also, I fully intend to return the swatches to H&M after all decisions have been made.

Taking a right turn from the entire premise of this thread I have several questions regarding an entirely different H&M piece and leather. Before the questions, H&M first hit my radar several years ago. I was looking for a chair that had a seat that was 'high'....easier for me to get up.....the Settlement Chair 4190. I came across some threads on the 'GardenWeb' and after returning numerous times I started to see your posts and educational advise about furniture. For my purposes that was bedding and leather furniture. I found myself looking for what you had to say and realized that many others there were too. I eventually followed you here and enjoy your site immensely. I thank you for all the time, honesty, and consideration you put into it. OK, enough, now for the questions.

1) On the H&M site the Settlement Chair and Ottoman 4190/4189 appear to have two different leathers. The back cushion on the chair looks like Venice Harness and the remainder of the chair and ottoman seem to be of a different leather....a 'pull-up' leather and maybe distressed(?). Yes I know that the picture is not necessarily representative of the actual appearance. Nevertheless, can you tell me if I am correct about the Venice Harness and what the other leather is? Be patient with me. I know these leathers have nothing in common with what we are talking about in regards to the Harbison Recliner. That's as I would prefer it should I acquire more pieces and truthfully the first time I saw the picture it 'spoke' to me like that favorite old pair of jeans full of holes the wife wants to toss and I figure still has years of 'familiar' use left (maybe it's a guy thing).

2) If you can figure what the leathers are could you give me a price on the Loveseat and Ottoman 4191/4189?

Again, Thank you very much for your help Duane.

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by jchrestman; 06-28-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Hi John,

Equestrian is where you want to be. I love Capri, but its not going to hold up on that motion piece with the food/drink spills as well as Equestrian. You might get the ONE BIG STAIN in the Capri that's not coming out and the same spill will simply wipe off with Equestrian.

The Settlement Chair on the web site has a patterned leather on the seat cushion and back, for sure. I'll check into what it is on Monday.

Got your PM on the samples. Will get them off to H&M when I get in the store .

Thanks for the compliment! I have long ago believed that the reason so many folks buy crappy furniture is because there is precious little our industry has done to educate not only the customer, but the sales staff. The furniture trade long ago evolved into a 'SALE' business and hinges all its momentum on whom has the largest orange tag on a piece of furniture. So I have been bucking that trend for decades (you will never see that orange SALE sign in my store, even on items that are on clearance), and these forums have offered me a way to share what I've learned over the years.

"An informed customer will make smart buying decisions". A simple premise, but it escapes so many in our industry. Answers are not always easy to get, even for me. I spend hours on the phones when I don't know an answer to a question, and frequently I'm talking to the owners of the companies for those answers as the line staff doesn't know either! That makes me either a huge pain for my suppliers, or their most inquisitive dealer <G>, not sure which.

If I do MY job right - which is educating and providing answers - I never have to 'hard sell' to get an order - customers will make up their minds after they get all the data by themselves and feel good about it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jchrestman Guest

Default Some Lovin Spoonful captures my mood........

Duane,
    Trust your eye(s) are getting there. Sounds like it can't keep you out of the shop.

Lovin' Spoonful lyrics to "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind":

Did you ever have to make up your mind?
    Pick up on one and leave the other one behind
    It's not often easy, and not often kind
    Did you ever have to finally decide?
    Say yes to one and let the other one ride
    There's so many changes, and tears you must hide
    Did you ever have to finally decide?
    Sometimes there's one with deep blue eyes, cute as a bunny
    With hair down to here, and plenty of money
    And just when you think she's that one in the world
    Your heart gets stolen by some mousy little girl
    And then you know you better make up your mind
    Pick up on one and leave the other one behind
    It's not often easy, and not often kind
    Sometimes you really dig a girl the moment you kiss her
    And then you get distracted by her older sister
    When in walks her father and takes you in line
    And says "Better go home, son, and make up your mind."
    Then you bet you'd better finally decide!
    And say yes to one and let the other one ride
    There's so many changes, and tears you must hide
    Did you ever have to finally decide

I'm there only with chairs, specifically recliners. I have been looking at Sarah's posts regarding her Springfield lounger and your posts to Raider regarding seat depth, etc.. I am starting to lose my affection for the Harbison recliner (7007) and finding the Springfield recliner (7065) more to my liking. Very importantly my wife definitely prefers the Springfield. I posted Sarah regarding her husband's height and his opinion of the chair and am waiting for a response.

Part of all this process was my finally printing out the 'Town and Country' PDF for 2009. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Springfield recliner as pa[B]rt of the program. I would opt for the NON-MARRIED leather, which brings me to my first question. The H&M site lists 2 'Hand Antiqued' leathers, Autumn and Saddle. Both are grade 3 unprotected. Are those the only choices? If not what are the others? Do you know where whatever leathers are available are sourced? Are they relatively thin or thick hides? Damn the serviceability, I don't care.

Finally, since the T&C list is wholesale, what would my cost be for the Springfield recliner (7065) in NON-MARRIED leather. I am assuming the shipping cost would remain close to the same as you quoted me for the Harbison recliner (7007), so unless there is some significant change there, no worries.

Thanks again Duane and heal fast.

Regards,
    John

I'll toss in my VERY favorite H&M recliner and the one I own at home, the # 1044 Sadler in Kipling Whiskey. I spend all of Monday and Tuesday in that recliner recovering from the eye surgery and I told my wife 'I can't imagine a more wonderful recliner than this, I can spend hours in it'. I also spent nearly 10 days in it recovering from my cancer surgery a few years back. One thing I really like about the Sadler is it has a very long footrest extension, so your feet don't hang over the edge like on so many other models. And its tall enough so that I have 5" of recliner left above my head at 5' 11".

Those are not wholesale prices in the T&C price list that you downloaded, that's the price you pay, plus delivery.

Yes, the 'hand-antiqued' is the program hide on the 7065 leather. Only those two colors. Not sure where the crust is sourced for those, but the color and antiquing is done at H&M after the piece has been made. Takes two days to do that in their finish room, the crust starts out gray-ish blue and the color it up in-house. Yes, they are thick, and beautiful, but the tend to be slightly less soft because of the antiquing process. Not bad mind you, but not super plush like some other class 3 and 4's.

Shipping is shipping, will stay the same for (1) recliner no matter what you choose.

Thanks John! I'm ready to take the stitches out of my eyes tonight but every time I go get the small scissors my wife freaks out <g>
    Duane Collie

jchrestman Guest

Duane,
    I am waiting to hear from Sarah. She said her husband was tall (how tall?) and I was curious what his opinions of the Springfield recliner were. If you know of anyone else with experience of the Springfield recliner tell me their opinions. I'll be in touch as soon as I know more. Thanks for your opinions heal soon.
    Regards,
    John

jchrestman Guest

Duane,
    I received the second set of leather samples from H&M. Beautiful stuff. My wife asked me to ask you what the cost of the Springfield Recliner (7065) would be for both grade 3 & 4 leathers. I understand this is outside the T&C program. Also, within the T&C program for NON-MARRIED leather I was wondering if the 'hand-antiquing' process is basically up to the 'taste' of the individual(s) doing it at H&M and is it like 'burnishing' in that you can ask for light, medium or heavy 'antiquing'? Thanks again for all your assistance.....we are getting closer.

One more favor, could you give me a price on the Loveseat and Ottoman 4191/4189?

Regards,
    John

Hi John,

There are some nice leathers in that batch, eh? I threw some ringers in there, as you discovered. <g>

The # 7065 Springfield sells for $ 2,500 in grade 3, $ 3,033 in Grade 4 hides.

# 4191 Settlement Loveseat:

Grade 1: $ 3,372
    Grade 2: $ 4,090
    Grade 3: $ 4,575
    Grade 4: $ 5,234

# 4189 Ottoman

Grade 1: $ 811
    Grade 2: $ 938
    Grade 3: $ 1,011
    Grade 4: $ 1,218

The 'hand-antiquing' and 'burnishing' are all done on leather crusts after the piece has been fully upholstered. Its very much an artistic thing, and though we can request light, medium or heavy like all things such as that its in the hands of the person doing that work as interpreted by them.
    Duane Collie

A question about EQUESTRIAN, grade 3 leather from H&M. The forum refers to this as serviceability 2, which I thought was reserved for protected leathers and I also have a H&M promotional booklet that indicates EQUESTRIAN as "our Equestrian full top grain leather has a protective finish for easy cleaning." It is also listed as a 2 serviceability in the booklet. However on the H&M website it is listed as "unprotected". Is the H&M website in error? Is Equestrian indeed a protected grade 3 leather? Finally, this may be listed elsewhere but I'll ask again, any information on country of manufacture?