Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattresses

MollyDoris Guest

Default Latex vs Memory Foam Mattresses

Any thoughts on latex vs. memory foam? They both feel about the same when I test them in the store. I thought memory foam is supposed to be heavier, firmer, more supportive than latex mattresses. But is it true?
    Latex mattress just like this one: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...LI&searchidx=0
    Memory foam mattress: http://www.langria.com/10-inch-essen...-mattress.html

Any thoughts from the masses?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucid-10-inch-Queen-size-Latex-Foam-Mattress-f6df8b11-7770-49ec-93fd-f40c9bb080d9_600.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	8158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9569158_orig.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	8157  

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Re: Latex vs. Memory Foam mattresses

I can tell you only my experiences, as I have owned both, multiple times. Foam mattresses are tricky, because they are not all equal and the more you pay does not mean the better the mattress in my experience. If you are buying one that is being advertised, you are probably paying too much for what you are going to get. Of the two types, I prefer Memory foam, specifically GEL Memory foam. I have owned all three types and GEL Memory foam was the most comfortable and held up longer. I see one of your links is to Overstock and that is actually a really great place to get one. I would not pay more than $500 for one(King) as you will probably want to replace it in 5 years or less anyway. $100 a year for a good nights sleep is worth it to me. To pay a large premium for a mattress that is supposed to last 15 to 20 years, when they really don't, and then keep sleeping on it ,after it is no longer comfortable because you feel like you have to based on the large price you paid for it is crazy. Trying to deal with mattress warranties is a huge pain. They make it that way because they figure you will not bother. I think that is why they offer these limited warranties on mattresses. Anyway that is my two cents.

Disagree. I have had the major name in memory foam. I now have a 100% latex foam. No comparison. Latex has the best support, and the most comfort. My memory foam broke down after 5 years. Two people, 320 pounds total weight on the mattress. We purchased the latex from a smaller Midwest manufacturer which consistently had one of the highest rated mattress and customer service group of stores per consumer reports. They have dropped down this year. We wanted to purchase another 100% latex for the guest bedroom. They no longer sell 100% latex foam mattresses. The salesman said that it now is too expensive to make. I guess that means their customer base won't pay the price. Their prices are significantly less than department stores. No sales though. If you can find a 100% latex mattress. Get it.

sstarrx2 Guest

OP, see you are going to get different experiences from everyone. pstein15 just backed up what I told you, paying the high price for a major brand name does not mean you are going to get the best Memory foam. 'Pure' Latex will last longer...if you can find one. Since it is natural substance it is scarce and expensive. If someone offers a latex mattress and it is not expensive, it probably is not pure latex. I have never slept on a "pure latex" mattress, just a "Latex" mattress. Personally I would rather pay $500 and replace mine every 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sstarrx2 View Post
    OP, see you are going to get different experiences from everyone. pstein15 just backed up what I told you, paying the high price for a major brand name does not mean you are going to get the best Memory foam. 'Pure' Latex will last longer...if you can find one. Since it is natural substance it is scarce and expensive. If someone offers a latex mattress and it is not expensive, it probably is not pure latex. I have never slept on a "pure latex" mattress, just a "Latex" mattress. Personally I would rather pay $500 and replace mine every 5 years.

Yes. I think that that people think foam and latex mean the same. I always did. Pure latex is very expensive and very heavy. Our queen cost $1500, five years ago. I think pure latex lasts for 20 years. It is also 2 sided, which extends the life considerably. Stores advertise no flip mattresses as a plus, when it really means costs have been cut, reducing the life of the mattress. I think you will find that pure latex sofa cushions are also very expensive.

sstarrx2 Guest

I can tell you that we have had our current Gel Memory Foam Mattress for 3 years now and it does not have those big body indentations, where we sleep, like so many of Memory foam mattresses we have had in the past had developed in less than 2 years. It is still very comfortable, consistant sleep and not hot like all of the Non Gel Memory foam we have owned in the past.

MollyDoris Guest

Thanks for all of your inputs, @sstarrx2 @ pstein. You both have reminded me that brand is not that important when comes to the quality of mattress, what does matter is that to find a mattress which suits your body ergonomics. And as for the selection of latex or memory foam bed, if I could grab a 100% latex mattress then I would give it a shot with no hesitance but right now as you guys have mentioned, latex mattress are rare and what's more I don't know how to identify them. A piece of good news is that some foam mattresses are made of multiple layers of foam adhered together (just like the Langria mattress I attached) while others have a foam core in the center to give people back support and comfort. So I guess the memory foam bed can do the job and I might just give it a spin. Will see how it goes. Thanks anyway.

Truth: Choosing between a foam mattress and a latex mattress is based on personal preference.

Default Re: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattresses

They no longer sell 100% latex foam mattresses

Sure we do. Except they are 97% latex, the other 3% rest are binding agents.

They will not be $ 500 matts, however. You can add a zero to that.

The 70% pure latex and 30% synthetic unit is actually a better unit and smells less like rubber.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

buckheaddon Guest

I purchased a pure LatexBliss Sustain Mattress which is a nearly 100% latex mattress. I found it to have unique combination of softness yet with fairly firm support. I've always had innerspring mattresses before, so the full latex option was a bit of a gamble, but I find my new bed to have a very luxurious feel. With any kind of bedding, YMMV. My mattress had no discernible smell or outgassing, although it's not a blended latex. It's all natural latex sourced from real rubber trees.

My prior mattress, from the stable of S-manufacturers who largely employ Leggett & Platt components, was old enough that it was still made with decent quality materials. I've found that there is no replacement market for those kind of mattresses, except possibly for high-end manufacturers like McRoskey in San Francisco (get your wallet out).

It's not terribly difficult to reverse engineer what the components are in some latex mattress and buy the materials to build your own. There are high quality covers available, and there are only two major suppliers of the latex cores used in bed construction. I decided it just wasn't worth the trouble.

In a prior post, someone mentioned that pure latex beds are flippable. All mattresses have a comfort later on the sleeping surface, followed by one or more (usually) progressively firmer layers below. On previous-generation inner spring mattresses, both sides of the mattress had a comfort later, and so they were designed to be flipped. Most latex mattresses are not constructed that way. They tend to have a 1-2 inch comfort layer on top of a firmer support core. Flipping such a mattress would involve sleeping on the support layer and would likely not be comfortable, except for persons who want a really firm set up.

It's not necessarily true that latex mattresses will outlast synthetic foam, but there is a large variation in the quality of synthetic foams. The low density foams used in some cheaper offerings can be short lived.

If you have an opportunity to find one in your area, you might also try a buckling column gel mattress. These durable mattresses are used in some hospitals for bed-ridden patients and/or persons with circulation problems and are available in brands such as OrthoGel and IntelliBed/Intelli-Gel. They're also not inexpensive.

Buck.

We do go through the weightlifting process of flipping our latex queen. No difference in comfort. Recommended by mfg. Our source is The Original Mattress Factory. Check their website. They no longer sell the pure latex. The model they now have is Serenity. They have 3 Serenity models. The Serenity latex is the flippable one. Don't know how the pull handles stay on, with the weight of the mattress. This company has a no return policy. I recommended the company to an elderly man who was never satisfied with his mattress. Kept returning them. He was shocked when he couldn't return this one. Policy is clearly stated. Don't know why their rating was dropped by CR. They were right at the top in both Mattress quality and in store service. Very reasonable prices with no sales. Midwest and lower east cost stores.

Quote Originally Posted by buckheaddon View Post
    I purchased a pure LatexBliss Sustain Mattress which is a nearly 100% latex mattress. I found it to have unique combination of softness yet with fairly firm support. I've always had innerspring mattresses before, so the full latex option was a bit of a gamble, but I find my new bed to have a very luxurious feel. With any kind of bedding, YMMV. My mattress had no discernible smell or outgassing, although it's not a blended latex. It's all natural latex sourced from real rubber trees.

My prior mattress, from the stable of S-manufacturers who largely employ Leggett & Platt components, was old enough that it was still made with decent quality materials. I've found that there is no replacement market for those kind of mattresses, except possibly for high-end manufacturers like McRoskey in San Francisco (get your wallet out).

It's not terribly difficult to reverse engineer what the components are in some latex mattress and buy the materials to build your own. There are high quality covers available, and there are only two major suppliers of the latex cores used in bed construction. I decided it just wasn't worth the trouble.

In a prior post, someone mentioned that pure latex beds are flippable. All mattresses have a comfort later on the sleeping surface, followed by one or more (usually) progressively firmer layers below. On previous-generation inner spring mattresses, both sides of the mattress had a comfort later, and so they were designed to be flipped. Most latex mattresses are not constructed that way. They tend to have a 1-2 inch comfort layer on top of a firmer support core. Flipping such a mattress would involve sleeping on the support layer and would likely not be comfortable, except for persons who want a really firm set up.

It's not necessarily true that latex mattresses will outlast synthetic foam, but there is a large variation in the quality of synthetic foams. The low density foams used in some cheaper offerings can be short lived.

If you have an opportunity to find one in your area, you might also try a buckling column gel mattress. These durable mattresses are used in some hospitals for bed-ridden patients and/or persons with circulation problems and are available in brands such as OrthoGel and IntelliBed/Intelli-Gel. They're also not inexpensive.