Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does H&M have manual three way recliners?

Seniorback Guest

Default Does H&M have manual three way recliners?

Hi Duane,
    Going through the forums I continue to learn more each day. I thank you for that. The B&Y site has recliners and lounger recliner identified as "three way". If I understand this correctly that means that these B&Y recliners can move from upright to TV position to full recline when the person in the chair pushes on the arms of the chair. Power is available at an upcharge. Although H&M has manual recliners on their site, none of them are identified as three way manual recliners. I sat in a Woodbridge Wing chair recliner yesterday, pushed on the arms, and I taken directly to the full recline position, with no stop in between. I know that adding the power option to this Woodbridge would allow a person to easily stop at more than two positions on the way to full recline but I am correct in thinking that H&M does not have manual three way recliners?
    Thanks very much.

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Re: Does H&M have manual three way recliners?

My new Austin Wallhugger does not. Once the foot rest is relased the chairs recline position is totally based on manual force and body weight shift.
    E

Seniorback Guest

Congrats on your new Austin. I have read such great things about its comfort on the forum. I live in the Chicago area and we have 2 custom furniture stores with locations in some upscale suburbs (none of which I live in) and I finally managed to find an Austin tilt on display in a store 44 miles from me. Drove there yesterday and sat in this chair only to find myself feeling like a 64 yr old toddler-my back did meet the back of the chair and my feet did not meet the floor. I am barely 5'7".
    Being short can be a curse.

sstarrx2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorback View Post
    Congrats on your new Austin. I have read such great things about its comfort on the forum. I live in the Chicago area and we have 2 custom furniture stores with locations in some upscale suburbs (none of which I live in) and I finally managed to find an Austin tilt on display in a store 44 miles from me. Drove there yesterday and sat in this chair only to find myself feeling like a 64 yr old toddler-my back did meet the back of the chair and my feet did not meet the floor. I am barely 5'7".
    Being short can be a curse.
    Really? I find the Austin Wallhugger to be a little on the small side...but I have 5 inches on you too. Do the Tilt back and Wallhugger have the same dimensions? My 5'3 daughter seemed to sit pretty comfortably in mine. Her posture is generally lacking most the time though.

Seniorback Guest

I looked at dimensions given in the ecatalog and the inside seat depth differs by an inch-with the Wallhugger being an inch shorter. But Duane has written that these dimensions are not precise and actual dimensions can vary by 2 inches from those listed in the ecatalogs. I am probably also shrinking in my old age.

1) Yes, all recliners from all makers are 3-way, you may have sat in one that had a light spring detent. Position 1 is closed. Position 2 is footrest up, TV watching. Position 3 is all the way back. Motorized allows you to stop the recline at any place in the travel path, as they have no spring detents.

2) Sounds like you tried at Austin High Back Tilt Chair. At 5' 7" you would want the standard model. Most stores (mine included) display the High Back unit.

3) We can always add extra fill to the back cushions on an order to bring them out a little closer to the front of the chair , by about 1"
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Seniorback Guest

Thanks, Duane.
    Is there an easy solution for a slight detent or would the recliner have to be shipped back for repair? Is this a problem that would normally be present from the beginning of a customer's use or does it develop over time? I prefer manual to motorized.

There are no adjustments to the detents or spring actions. There is nothing to repair, some are more noticeable than others is all.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Seniorback Guest

Ok. Thanks. With the Woodbridge just taking me to full recline and my not getting a feel that i could stop anywhere else, I guess a recliner(at least a manual one) is not the chair for me.
    I appreciate your time and patience with all my questions.

sstarrx2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorback View Post
    Ok. Thanks. With the Woodbridge just taking me to full recline and my not getting a feel that i could stop anywhere else, I guess a recliner(at least a manual one) is not the chair for me.
    I appreciate your time and patience with all my questions.
    I would not overlook all recliners. Mine does not go straight to recline. It just does not lock into any position. Once the mechanism is activated and the footrest is released it naturally goes to a TV watching position. If I use a little more back push it goes to full recline. I guess if I went fast with full effort I could go straight to full recline.