Thread: H&M Parisian sofa in suede??

Default H&M Parisian sofa in suede??

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...Duane, I commented on an older thread about H&M's Parisian actually being a very well executed copy of Coco Chanel's infamous suede sofa from her Paris apartment located above the Chanel flagship store. Chanel had her sofa commissioned as a custom piece & it's an extremely deep seated frame(if I had to guess, I'd say at least 50"D!)

Running a close 2nd to RH's Capri sofa for me would be this sofa. I asked in a reply on that old thread if H&M could do the Parisian with a single bench cushion & have since learned from other threads on the forum they can: model #1279(?) It has the decorative seaming on the bench cushion, same as the original. I even saw a pic on the forum where a customer had requested the middle leg be removed, same as I'd prefer.

I know you don't particularly care for suede as an upholstery choice, so can I infer from that statement that H&M does indeed offer a 100% suede as an option? If so, what grade leather category does it fall under since you say it's made from the splits of the hide(less desirable portions of a hide?) I would assume it'd be priced as a grade 1 or 2 if that was the case? Or, because it's considered more of an exotic cover, it'd be priced similarly to the exotics?

If it's in those higher tiers, it'd most likely be out of my budget, but a microsuede wouldn't & I'd be interested in looking into that option. I can't seem to find any suede listed on H&M's website under "Leather," so any guidance or advice you could give would be very helpful.

Ooh, also: IIRC I saw where you had stated in 1 of those older posts on the Parisian that going from a single bench cushion to a 3 cushion deck would prob be an upcharge...does that mean opting for the bench cushion lowers the price of the Parisian(keeps it @ its base price?)

I'm not 100%, die hard sold on ANY particular brand or model of sofa I just have to have. Thus, if the Parisian or a similar style from B&Y can be had for what I'm looking at price wise with the RH Capri, I'd jump on that! It's a gorgeous, classic styled frame that I could see myself keeping for a very long time.

I'm just looking for rough, ballpark figures here & if they're doable, I'll PM you for more detailed quotes.

Andrea

Default Re: H&M Parisian sofa in suede??

Hi, Asomer.

I just ordered my H&M sofa with that exact request, changing from three seat cushions to a single, bench seat cushion. I did pay an upcharge. That means I paid a few hundred additional dollars on top of the price it would have been for the standard three seat cushions.

TXCajun

The Parisian is available as a 3-cushion seat unit, model # 1278 and as a single cushion unit with seams, model # 1279. Same price, no upcharge for the # 1279 unit.

The suede in the H&M line is called Sonoma, and its a GR 3 leather from the splits if the hide. They also have a luxury suede called Nubuck (Grade 4) which is much finer and softer, and that's done by sanding a full top grain leather, its not made from the splits. There are far more colors in Sonoma than Nubuck, however. Microsuede is 100% Polyester and we all know what happens to Polyester when it friction wears - it pills. Pass.

You can get a quote here on the forum privately by filling out the form. If looking for general prices, I have the H&M price list available through a DropBox link here on the forum as well, look under LEATHER for it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane. My only experience with suede & Nubuck has been with shoes & handbags. I was actually surprised to discover 2 of my 10yr old Louis Vuitton handbags have Alcantara linings instead of genuine suede! I'd never been able to tell the difference based on hand or smell!
    I prefer the hand of suede, but would perhaps need to see the difference btwn the suede & nubuck in a sample as I'm sure there's a big difference between those used on shoes & handbags vrs furniture.

Alcantara is a synthetic material invented by a Japanese scientist in the early 70's and made only in one factory in Italy. It mimics suede in touch and feel but is a chemical composition with no warp or weft like conventional fabrics. It's main advantage over suede is that water saturation does not ruin it, however its subject to pilling like Polyester, though with higher abrasion values than Poly. And it's just as costly as real leather. I've had it in a number of cars, mostly on steering wheels and shift knobs.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The Parisian is available as a 3-cushion seat unit, model # 1278 and as a single cushion unit with seams, model # 1279. Same price, no upcharge for the # 1279 unit.

The suede in the H&M line is called Sonoma, and its a GR 3 leather from the splits if the hide. They also have a luxury suede called Nubuck (Grade 4) which is much finer and softer, and that's done by sanding a full top grain leather, its not made from the splits. There are far more colors in Sonoma than Nubuck, however. Microsuede is 100% Polyester and we all know what happens to Polyester when it friction wears - it pills. Pass.

You can get a quote here on the forum privately by filling out the form. If looking for general prices, I have the H&M price list available through a DropBox link here on the forum as well, look under LEATHER for it.
    Duane, attempted to click on the Dropbox link & installed Dropbox onto my LG phone running latest Android Marshmallow, but kept saying Dropbox unable to open .xls file??

I'll just look again online at H&M under Sonoma & PM for a quote.