Thread: Leather Sectional - Can't Afford H&M / B&Y - What NOW!?

akjoek Guest

Default Leather Sectional - Can't Afford H&M / B&Y - What NOW!?

Shopping for our first "Real" sofa has been an experience. I started wanting a leather motion sofa, and we are now looking at leather sectionals. Duane had me sold on H&M or B&Y and after going and looking at them we just can't afford what we want/need in a leather sectional. I totally get it, I really do, and now that I am sold on it, we just can't do it... so now we are wondering what the best (in a value proposition sense) move to make is?

How do you take a step down from those companies and still get value and quality? Obviously we won't get the SAME quality, but what sorts of features, leathers, etc... how do you choose - based on whats in that next tier in a new sofa sectional?

We looked at Smith Bros. but I feel like there isn't THAT much of a savings, and the quality is a big step down. We have been to 5 stores, everything from big box, to state chains, to single family owned boutiques and I know more than all 7 of the sales people I have talked to, and have only been researching this for 2 weeks.

So now what? Is it insane to think that we can get a decent mid-level quality leather sectional in the $5-6K range? I feel like after seeing a H&M sofa today for $4K we should be able to take one step down and purchase something at that range, that is still a good value and decent build.

Anyone have a similar experience with positive results?

Default Re: Leather Sectional - Can't Afford H&M / B&Y - What NOW!?

Of the sectionals that are in the H&M Town & Country program, the York (NC203, 303) has several configurations that might work for you IF you like that frame. The cover with the best price is Angelo Creme or Graphite (Gr. 2). Duane could give you precise numbers on price, but just glancing at the price list, it looks like it would be at or near your upper price limit.

Your best shot is to canvas various stores for items on clearance and that are TRULY marked down. Every retail store has them, including mine.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jenny Guest

The HOMs in MN stock a Van Gogh Bernhardt Sectional that was about 4K. It was pretty comfortable when I sat in it. I remember liking it a lot, but it only came in sectional size. Disclaimer: I don't know about the quality of Bernhardt, only that I hear it mentioned from time to time as being good.

You'd be surprised at the differences in pricing when it comes to fancy furniture. I had ruled out H&M/B&Y after visiting my local store, and almost bought an Arhaus sofa (which wasn't cheap either, but that gives you an idea of the prices I was looking at in the local H&M store). Then, I was visiting friends in Nebraska, and stopped at a local furniture store there and got a B&Y sofa I loved for $2300 ($2800 after taxes and shipping and delivery). The same one in MN was quoted to me for almost $5K, before taxes/shipping.
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-01-2016 at 05:59 PM.

akjoek Guest

I went to a local place, really the only place around here that does B&Y today and priced one, and it is in our price range, but the salesmen are not very knowledgeable. I also feel like I could get a better deal and more importantly what I actually need/want if I were buying from someone like Duane. I wish I could just order through him. But my wife is a little leery of ordering a couch that we have never seen.

Judyg951 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by akjoek View Post
    I went to a local place, really the only place around here that does B&Y today and priced one, and it is in our price range, but the salesmen are not very knowledgeable. I also feel like I could get a better deal and more importantly what I actually need/want if I were buying from someone like Duane. I wish I could just order through him. But my wife is a little leery of ordering a couch that we have never seen.

It does take a leap of faith to order furniture that way. We did and are extremely happy with our H&M sofa and chairs. We ordered them from Duane. Never saw them in person. I know it's a bit scary, but there are a lot of people on this forum who gave done the same and are very happy.