Thread: Sofa Frame Quality

anmandot Guest

Default Sofa Frame Quality

Are weight and weight capacity good indicators of a sofa's frame quality?

For example, let's say we have two sofas that are made of the same kind of hardwood. Sofa 1 is 130 pounds and has a weight capacity of 550 pounds. Sofa 2 is 160 pounds and has a weight capacity of 1000 pounds. I would think that Sofa 2 is obviously of better quality. But lets say each sofa undergoes the same wear-and-tear over a 10-year period, but that neither sofa ever has its weight capacity exceeded. Would the frame of Sofa 2 ultimately be in better shape than the frame of Sofa 1? Would there be no real difference at all?

Also, let's assume that you're not privy to how either frame was constructed, beyond being told of the weight, weight capacity, and use of hardwood. And let's say that each sofa passed your basic test of lifting one front leg to see if the opposite front leg raised at the same time (or remained on the floor, indicating poor quality).

Default Re: Sofa Frame Quality

In my opinion, weight of a frame has nothing to do with quality. It's all about stiffness of the frame (rigidity) and joinery. What good is a heavy sofa if the joints are sloppy? That will make it break down faster. The key to a good upholstery frame is that its stout and with minimal flex, and that the joinery maintains that stiffness.

There is no sofa I have ever seen from any make where both front legs come off the ground at the same time when lifting one corner. Not even a car can do that, there is always twist and flex. However, solid hardwood frame - properly joined - will not exhibit the torsional rotation that plywood or engineered hardwood frames do.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

anmandot Guest

Thanks for the response. I've been furniture shopping over the past year, and I'm learning as I go. I just found out that a sofa I bought is held together using staples only, but the frame is hardwood. Is there anything I can do care-wise to ensure that the sofa lasts as long as possible?

Yes, if you have concerns about structural integrity the three things to try to keep from doing 1) Never let kids jump on the upholstery. That's so hard on it. 2) Don't 'drop' into the sofa, ease yourself into it. 3) Don't move the sofa by pulling or pushing on it. Always use two people and lift it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.