Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Talk

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Car Talk

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    BMW makes some of the best motorcycles on the road too!!

Like these? (in my garage)

Attachment 8434
    Attachment 8435

I've owned (7) BMW cars / SUV's as well. 535i, 740i, M3, 330i, 323i, X5, X4 (current daily driver). I've been a BMW CCA member since 1996 and active in autocross and track instruction. I do like the brand, but it has its quirks. On almost every BMW ever made the front control arms are shot every 80K miles and need replacing, and the cooling systems self-destruct at 100K miles as the plastic gets hard and brittle, then cracks out. Then there are the assorted sub-frame bushings to deal with on some variants and high pressure fuel pump problems as well, but for the most part the cars are solid, especially the ones with inline 6 engines (the V8's not so much). I do most the work myself in my garage so for me its usually just parts, and the only really tough job I had was replacing the Automatic transmission in the 323i working off a cold garage floor in the middle of winter. I'll always have either a BMW or a Porsche in the garage it seems. Or one of each! My business is furniture, but I'm a total gearhead at heart.
    Love these!!! My BMW is newer and had a turbo 4 cycl and it is really a nice ride. You can get plenty of cars with nicer interiors, but the drive train on my BMW is the best I have ever owned! Where else can you get a car that will do a 4.9 second 0-60 and get 36 mpg! Gear shifts are lighting quick and smooth as silk! The only car I would want in stead would be a Porsche!

Default Re: I'm done with Flexsteel

Quote Originally Posted by sstarrx2 View Post
    Love these!!! My BMW is newer and had a turbo 4 cycl and it is really a nice ride. You can get plenty of cars with nicer interiors, but the drive train on my BMW is the best I have ever owned! Where else can you get a car that will do a 4.9 second 0-60 and get 36 mpg! Gear shifts are lighting quick and smooth as silk! The only car I would want in stead would be a Porsche!
    Yep, sstarx2: I LOVE the way they drive! I owned a Mercedes before my 1st BMW & tho it was fast, it felt like I was lugging a tank up to freeway speeds!

The say I traded it in fit my 1st BMW, on the drive home I instantly could feel the difference: much more noticeable pep. I've never owned a M, in any of the 3 series I've had only because I don't like its overly sporty styling with the carbon fiber trim, etc.

Since we're on the subject; I saw a spanking brand-new 2017 Audi Q7 in the parking lot of our local grocery store...now that SUV had some serious sleek styling! Much too big for me(I'd prob opt for the Q5 if going the Audi SUV route.) Or, the Audi A5/S5. I think they've really stepped up their game lately trying to compete with BMW & Mercedes head on.

sstarrx2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    Yep, sstarx2: I LOVE the way they drive! I owned a Mercedes before my 1st BMW & tho it was fast, it felt like I was lugging a tank up to freeway speeds!

The say I traded it in fit my 1st BMW, on the drive home I instantly could feel the difference: much more noticeable pep. I've never owned a M, in any of the 3 series I've had only because I don't like its overly sporty styling with the carbon fiber trim, etc.

Since we're on the subject; I saw a spanking brand-new 2017 Audi Q7 in the parking lot of our local grocery store...now that SUV had some serious sleek styling! Much too big for me(I'd prob opt for the Q5 if going the Audi SUV route.) Or, the Audi A5/S5. I think they've really stepped up their game lately trying to compete with BMW & Mercedes head on.
    Audi is making some noise! I have a 228i, which more or less replaced the 328i coupe. The new M2 looks pretty awesome to me! I like the smaller footprint, but the 2ers are not the most comfortable for my girls in the back seat and getting them in an out is a pain, but we have gotten use to it.

Audi is making some noise! I have a 228i, which more or less replaced the 328i coupe. The new M2 looks pretty awesome to me! I like the smaller footprint, but the 2ers are not the most comfortable for my girls in the back seat and getting them in an out is a pain, but we have gotten use to it.
    Yes, the 2 series is a pretty sweet little package! I love the new 4 series coupes/convertibles too, although they more or less look like smaller versions of the 6 series.

I'd REALLY like to see BMW come out with a new generation of the 8 series(not their i8 electric thing, but THE real 8 series from the 90s.) With the 650i/M6 being their top of the line coupe...I dunno if there'd be a market for it? But, it sure would be cool to see it redone!

The new X7 super SUV should be coming out very soon, too! That's way too much car for me, but a larger, premium SUV from BMW to compete head-on with Range Rover, Mercedes & the Escalade is long overdue.

Lol, we should try to talk Duane into setting up a sub section of the forum for non furniture/The Keeping Room discussions about topics such as...cars that forum members & he are REALLY into! I don't consider myself a gear head, but I love talking about & hearing other ppl's stories of their cars. Ooh, & home entertainment tech(what's latest & best Smart tv out, surround sound system, etc.)

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Re: Car Talk

Yes...every time I go in to have my scheduled maintenance done I make a point to go sit in the 6 series convert!! That is one sharp looking ride. It is a shame you have to go into the 5 and 6 series and up to get a nice interior. The BMW SUVs have much nicer interiors that the lower series cars...even the new X1. They are not bad, and are laid out well, I am just not a fan of soft touch plastic and Dakota Leather. I prefer more extended leather. I know the Dakota Leather is much more durable than more plush leathers, put it just does not feel like real leather. Oh...the new LG Signature OLED TVs are the best out since that is your thing...In a couple of years when they drop from $8000 to $2800 I may get one...of course there will be something better then! I still have a 60 inch Samsung Plasma the is 6 or 7 years old and still works like a champ...would move it into my kids play room for that OLED though!!!
    Last edited by sstarrx2; 04-13-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Yes...every time I go in to have my scheduled maintenance done I make a point to go sit in the 6 series convert!! That is one sharp looking ride. It is a shame you have to go into the 5 and 6 series and up to get a nice interior. The BMW SUVs have much nicer interiors that the lower series cars...even the new X1. They are not bad, and are laid out well, I am just not a fan of soft touch plastic and Dakota Leather. I prefer more extended leather. I know the Dakota Leather is much more durable than more plush leathers, put it just does not feel like real leather. Oh...the new LG Signature OLED TVs are the best out since that is your thing...In a couple of years when they drop from $8000 to $2800 I may get one...of course there will be something better then! I still have a 60 inch Samsung Plasma the is 6 or 7 years old and still works like a champ...would move it into my kids play room for that OLED though!!!
    My leather has no cracking or other noticeable signs of wear at nearly 9yrs worth of high heat Texas summers & humidity. Not to mention, the entire month of March everyone's cars are caked with yellow pollen & nobody with 2 working brain cells bothers washing theytheir cars that month.

I used to be really diligent about protecting, cleaning & conditioning my leather interior, but have seriously slacked lately. I'm planning on having our local car wash place do their "leather cleaning & detail" pkg done...that runs about $75-$100.

If money were no object & I could choose whatever I'd like: it'd be the latest 650i convert. Black on black with black wheels

VERY diff than my current Beemer that's white with the saddle colored leather seats & black dash & carpet(that was part of getting the Sports pkg that adds the lowered suspension & 19" wheels.)

I should join the BMW CCA, as Duane mentioned he's a member & I prob will never own ANY other brand of car in my life

Here's the problem with BMW cooling systems. They went to 'environmentally friendly' materials in the late 1990's bragging in their literature that the entire car was very ecologically friendly when used up and scrapped. The trouble then became that the plastics on the water pump, radiator and coolant tanks decided to re-cycle themselves much earlier. They got rock hard with heat and the vibration cracks the plastics and you overheat. It's a known issue on all BMW's and happens around the 100K mark. So what those of us that pull our own wrenches do is replace them with aluminum aftermarket parts - especially the radiator - and that solves the issue. More costly than the plastic OEM parts, but no more crapped out coolant systems.

Did you know that if you join BMWCCA and hold your membership for one year, you get very nice discounts on new and CPO BMW's? Here's the current structure:

https://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate

Also there is one for BMW motorcycles as a CCA member, and that one is instant.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Here's the problem with BMW cooling systems. They went to 'environmentally friendly' materials in the late 1990's bragging in their literature that the entire car was very ecologically friendly when used up and scrapped. The trouble then became that the plastics on the water pump, radiator and coolant tanks decided to re-cycle themselves much earlier. They got rock hard with heat and the vibration cracks the plastics and you overheat. It's a known issue on all BMW's and happens around the 100K mark. So what those of us that pull our own wrenches do is replace them with aluminum aftermarket parts - especially the radiator - and that solves the issue. More costly than the plastic OEM parts, but no more crapped out coolant systems.

Did you know that if you join BMWCCA and hold your membership for one year, you get very nice discounts on new and CPO BMW's? Here's the current structure:

No Duane, I didn't know that joining would give me discounts on future BMW vehicle purchases. Now, I'm REALLY intrigued! Lol

Whenever my car has an indicator light light up on the dashboard, I check with all the major BMW owner's forums to source out the possible issue. I don't regularly post on any...just read any posts pertaining to my particular issue. It's helped me narrow things down bout 50% of the time. There are a lot of DIY 'er types on these forums & their knowledge regarding costs of certain repairs has been invaluable to me.

The BMW CCA always seemed like just a bunch of enthusiasts getting together for shows or drives & I know I prob wouldn't be investing time like that on my car. It's my daily driver, I love it & after owning an American car as my 1st & 2nd cars, then moving to Mercedes & then to BMW, I came to the easy conclusion it's the only car I'll ever own. And, that's regardless of the issues, costly as they are! Lol

It's worth it to me. I'm not a fan of Infiniti or Lexus & tho Mercedes is a very luxurious car to own/drive; I prefer the sportier styling & feel of the road I get thru BMW.

Duane, what year was your X5? Were you happy with it? There's a HUGE leap in price between the X5 3.5i & the X5 5.0i, huge!! Those options can add up, but Car & Driver strongly recommends the 3.5i over the grossly inflated price of the 5.0i.

No Duane, I didn't know that joining would give me discounts on future BMW vehicle purchases. Now, I'm REALLY intrigued! Lol

Whenever my car has an indicator light light up on the dashboard, I check with all the major BMW owner's forums to source out the possible issue. I don't regularly post on any...just read any posts pertaining to my particular issue. It's helped me narrow things down bout 50% of the time. There are a lot of DIY 'er types on these forums & their knowledge regarding costs of certain repairs has been invaluable to me.

The BMW CCA always seemed to me like just a bunch of enthusiasts getting together for shows or drives. If I'm being honest with myself, I know I prob wouldn't be investing time in activities like that with my car. It's my daily driver & I love it! But, after having owned American cars for my 1st & 2nd cars, then moving onto Mercedes, & then to BMW, I came to the easy conclusion it's the only car I'll ever own. And, that's with my knowing of the maintenance costs throughout the life of the car... regardless of the issues & costly as they may be, I'll only ever own BMW's! Lol

It's worth it to me. I'm not a fan of Infiniti or Lexus & tho Mercedes is a very luxurious car to own/drive; I prefer the sportier styling & feel of the road I get thru BMW.

Duane, what year was your X5? Were you happy with it? There's a HUGE leap in price between the X5 3.5i & the X5 5.0i, huge!! Those options can add up, but Car & Driver strongly recommends the 3.5i over the grossly inflated price of the 5.0i.
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-14-2016 at 12:56 AM.

sstarrx2 Guest

My 228i is Mineral White Metallic(Pearl) and has Terra interior with Black dash and gray carpet. I can tell the leather is going to hold up well as it does not have a single wrinkle in it after almost 2 years of ownership. It is garaged all the time and I work out of my house, so it has really low mileage (under 9000) and rarely sits in the sun for very long. I was rear ended 3 weeks after I purchased it when it had less than 700 miles on it. It was all cosmetic for the most part, no frame damage, but it was still over $11,000 in damages. I was also able to get another $7000 in diminished value from the lady's insurance company. So, I will probably drive the wheels off it because the trade in value took a huge hit. The repairs were pristine though. You would have to look at the little bit of over spray on the undercarriage to know it was wrecked. Even if I buy something new, one of my daughters may get this one because of the diminished value, I think...It may be cheaper to get them a used Focus or Civic once this thing starts getting up in miles. The cost to maintain may not be worth it.