Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Antique Armoire - Pre 1850's? - Looking for Info

stubadub Guest

Default Re: Antique Armoire - Pre 1850's? - Looking for Info

Left & Right foot if anyone wants to inspect the feet in detail, could very well be factory carved in specific spots.

stubadub Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Photos are not all that extensive, but here's my read on this piece.

European origin.
    Production furniture with some hand-tooling on the carvings
    Dovetails are jig cut
    Wood is machine sanded.
    Nice crotch veneer.
    Best guess: late 1800's to early 1900's.
    What do you think about the veneer species? Walnut for sure?

stubadub Guest

Not to get off topic but this was the first piece I made by hand. Several flaws on top but I was pretty pleased overall.

stubadub,

Ah, I see where we've mixed up our communication. The photo you posted seems to show some corner bracing. When I'm speaking of a breakdown piece with wedges, I mean there are actual loose wedges that must be hand-placed, or driven, in the correct locations when assembling the piece. Then, when one desires to disassemble the piece, those same wedges must be individually removed. There are no screws in a complete breakdown piece. There are pieces that are sort of hybrids. They have a few screws. It's the complete breakdown pieces with wedges and pegs that I have found to be scarce. I have seen many hybrids. Does that make sense?

Wow! Your first piece with that dovetail work is pretty cool. It's terrific that you can do that. I truly admire people who want to learn how to create beautiful furniture using the old ways. It must require a lot of patience.

TXCajun

stubadub Guest

Ahh ok gotcha on the wedges. Always looking to learn. Hopefully I'll have this together this afternoon.

Thanks for the comments, I tend to enjoy tedious work. I've made tables, chairs, dressers, beds, flooring etc etc out of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    stubadub,

That would be fabulous if you're correct about the dovetails! I will defer to your judgement because I assure you that I have never made a single piece of furniture, much less hand-cut dovetails. I'm impressed that you've done that.

And, it's very promising that the carvings have discernible variations. Now that you've confirmed there are wedges, I am swinging back to the piece coming from around the 1850's. I have come across only two for-real-deal breakdowns in my three decades of antiquing. And, one has been in a friend's family from the get-go. Yours is a much more spectacular looking piece and I bet it's a bit older, as well.

Please, don't discount the "little corner" "antique shop". Some of those people are true gems, full of knowledge, and love to help just because they truly love what they do. As a matter of fact, one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met worked out of what looked to be by all outward appearances a decrepit, bat-filled barn. Believe me when I tell you that if you met him on the street, you would think he was really a hobo. You'd be wrong. He had some very, very fine pieces in that barn. It was like stepping into another world. Of course, if you're looking to spend some money on an appraisal, well, then, yes, you'll likely be visiting more of the froo-froo type.

How wonderful that you have such a fine family piece. That is something special!

TXCajun
    TXCajun,

You're absolutely right about the little, corner "antique store" owners sometimes being much more knowledgeable than the downtown, froo-froo dealer.

I hope I wasn't suggesting completely disregarding the little shop? What I was trying to say was: that if stubadub is wanting an answer immediately, or looking to quickly veliminate some of the many guesses that have been thrown out there, a European & fine antiques dealer or appraisal service would be my 1st choice. If stubadub gets nowhere closer on identifying the maker & era of the piece that route, then by all means, yes go to whomever & wherever, including the shop around the corner. Their corner antique shop owner just may be THE expert on pieces exactly line this the froo-froo dealer was going to suggest!!

Stubadub,
    I don't know if you're wanting to go THIS far in your investigation, but what about a wood analysis at your local community college's science dept? I'd think they'd prob be able to do it free of charge. Just bring in a tiny chipped sample for them to place under the microscope or run an itsy bitsy, little chemical test on?

As interesting as this all is...I'd think a carbon 14 dating on the wood, or running more serious chemical analysis on the wood to determine its species, age & origin might be cost prohibitive

Stubadub, please do keep us updated on the piece's history as you discover it. It's pretty fascinating having almost nothing to go off of & building it up from there, little by little. It's like CSI Antiques!! haha
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-20-2016 at 11:29 AM.

stubadub Guest

well to be honest we do take items to the dean of forestry at the University of Kentucky quite often to verify different species. Great suggestions about everything though! I've not taken it there yet, I was thinking an expert online and also in person would be the route at first since it was a furniture piece. But yea if I don't get a accurate answer on the veneer, main structure and a couple boards on the inside that are something else that's where I'm heading.

stubadub Guest

This just had the dust wiped off and hasn't been properly cleaned yet.

stubadub Guest

stubadub Guest

Inside back panels look like this.