Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New member with a question

Mightydog Guest

Default New member with a question

New member from Maryland. Have been looking at a Hancock & Moore model 1021 Woodbridge at a dealer. Issue is that the H&M website shows this as having a one piece leather back and one piece side panels. The dealers model has a three piece back and three piece side panel. Is this a substandard model made for the dealer? His list is $2698 in class 2 wine leather. He's having a 50% off msrp leather sale now so net to me would be $1348. Seems like a good deal but concerned with the discrepancies. Can anyone help/comment? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	8515  

Default Re: New member with a question

The 1021 Woodbridge has all 1-piece panels, I have sold many of them. Here's a photo set that shows them all the way around:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...021+woodbridge

What could you be looking at? I'm not really sure. Does it have a Hancock and Moore label under the seat cushion on the deck? Or is it RANDALL ALLEN (made in China) which is a subset of H&M but not supposed to be sold as H&M? The RA has a 3-piece side and back.

http://randall-allan.com/product.asp?productid=50

The deal leather on the 1021 is Alberta Leather, which some dealers buy in quantities of (6) and that would make the $ 1,348 price point make sense. To my knowledge, the Alberta hide (which is a married cover out of China) is not pieced, but I don't sell Alberta in my store because I don't care for the leather - so I cannot say with any degree of certainty.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-24-2016 at 04:03 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Mightydog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The 1021 Woodbridge has all 1-piece panels, I have sold many of them. Here's a photo set that shows them all the way around:

What could you be looking at? I'm not really sure. Does it have a Hancock and Moore label under the seat cushion on the deck? Or is it RANDALL ALLEN (made in China) which is a subset of H&M but not supposed to be sold as H&M? The RA has a 3-piece side and back.

The deal leather on the 1021 is Alberta Leather, which some dealers buy in quantities of (6) and that would make the $ 1,348 price point make sense. To my knowledge, the Alberta hide (which is a married cover out of China) is not pieced, but I don't sell Alberta in my store because I don't care for the leather - so I cannot say for 100% sure.
    Has label on seat, here is copy of price tag. You can see 1021 listed as well as colors. The chair is a 1021 Woodbridge Chippendale. Picture shows side panel with three piece leather. Thanks

Views:	308 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	8516  

The deal leather on the 1021 is Alberta Leather, which some dealers buy in quantities of (6) and that would make the $ 1,348 price point make sense. To my knowledge, the Alberta hide (which is a married cover out of China) is not pieced, but I don't sell Alberta in my store because I don't care for the leather - so I cannot say for 100% sure.
    Mightydog, you need to go back to that dealer with the question of whether or not this is actually a H&M or a Randall Allen chair, with the info Duane's provided(I'd present the info as discovered on your own, NOT thru another H&M dealer as that'd most likely put you immediately at odds with your local dealer & possibly sour the deal.) Ask them to clarify if this is a Randall Allen, or an H&M with a married cover, etc. Look for yourself for the label under the cushion, etc. If they're hesitant with you flipping cushions over or asking very reasonable questions, walk away.

An honest dealer that has nothing to hide will willingly answer any questions you may have & allow you the space to examine the piece to your satisfaction.

Mightydog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    Mightydog, you need to go back to that dealer with the question of whether or not this is actually a H&M or a Randall Allen chair, with the info Duane's provided(I'd present the info as discovered on your own, NOT thru another H&M dealer as that'd most likely put you immediately at odds with your local dealer & possibly sour the deal.) Ask them to clarify if this is a Randall Allen, or an H&M with a married cover, etc. Look for yourself for the label under the cushion, etc. If they're hesitant with you flipping cushions over or asking very reasonable questions, walk away.

An honest dealer that has nothing to hide will willingly answer any questions you may have & allow you the space to examine the piece to your satisfaction.
    Chair looks and feels great. There is the H&M label under cushion along with registration number and swatch. I've looked at this chair 4-5 times and never even noticed it had stitched multi panel sides and back. Only noticed it yesterday when I went to put a deposit on it. I wasn't sure if the #1021 had single piece sides/back so I told the salesman I will be back. After reviewing the H&M web site and even the dealers web site and seeing a photo of one piece sides/back..I emailed the salesperson with the questions above. No answer yet. It's because of this discrepancy that I'm hesitant to buy. Next choice is a Classic Leather Ball and Claw recliner which a dealer in Richmond has and will cost me about $500 more. Anyway to tell if this is a Randall Allen trying to be passed off as a H&M? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mightydog View Post
    Chair looks and feels great. There is the H&M label under cushion along with registration number and swatch. I've looked at this chair 4-5 times and never even noticed it had stitched multi panel sides and back. Only noticed it yesterday when I went to put a deposit on it. I wasn't sure if the #1021 had single piece sides/back so I told the salesman I will be back. After reviewing the H&M web site and even the dealers web site and seeing a photo of one piece sides/back..I emailed the salesperson with the questions above. No answer yet. It's because of this discrepancy that I'm hesitant to buy. Next choice is a Classic Leather Ball and Claw recliner which a dealer in Richmond has and will cost me about $500 more. Anyway to tell if this is a Randall Allen trying to be passed off as a H&M? Thanks
    I don't blame you for your hesitancy. Duane KNOWS H&M & if he's telling you that chair comes with a single panel back & sides: it comes with a single back & sides!

If it's a Randall Allen they're trying VERY hard to pass off as an H&M(hey, anything's possible,) I'd be more than hesitant! Have you looked at the chair on the Randall Allen site to compare/contrast it with the H&M?

Have you googled photos of the #1021 chair online to see if other H&M #1021 chairs are single, or multi paneled? I'd do that quickly, just to confirm there are or are NOT multi paneled versions of this chair. If you're seeing only single paneled backs & sides...& this 1 chair is the lone wolf???

This is a mystery, for sure! Lol

Mightydog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    I don't blame you for your hesitancy. Duane KNOWS H&M & if he's telling you that chair comes with a single panel back & sides: it comes with a single back & sides!

If it's a Randall Allen they're trying VERY hard to pass off as an H&M(hey, anything's possible,) I'd be more than hesitant! Have you looked at the chair on the Randall Allen site to compare/contrast it with the H&M?

Have you googled photos of the #1021 chair online to see if other H&M #1021 chairs are single, or multi paneled? I'd do that quickly, just to confirm there are or are NOT multi paneled versions of this chair. If you're seeing only single paneled backs & sides...& this 1 chair is the lone wolf???

This is a mystery, for sure! Lol
    Drcollie, please step in again, this is the reply from the dealer, gets more interesting by the day. By his reply I am assuming this is a Town & Country model but you can see by the tag in the previous post it does not state so.

Views:	306 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	8521  

I have no further comments other than what I already stated. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have no further comments other than what I already stated. Good luck!
    Mightydog, I'm with Duane in this one!

I don't know what's REALLY going on here with this mystery chair: maybe it's a returned or defected/damaged Randall Allen & some wise guy at the store decided to unethically swap out the tags for the #1021 H&M chair to make back what he might lose by selling it as return/damaged floor model?

Maybe this is a regular thing they do on the sly with 1 or 2 pieces here & there, assuming the average customer walking in won't know the specs of H&M's version compared to Randall Allen's? I'm JUST speculating here btw. I don't know this dealer, or their name, location, or reputation, etc...

The email response you got was written in a manner that puts you on the defense & I suspect that was the intention. The reasoning being: if you're busy defending yourself &/or someone else, you won't continue asking probing questions. And, if you wanna get really deep into the psychology of sales: it's a tool(putting you on the defensive,) they have that positions you as the weaker party in any further conversions/negotiations. At this point, based on that email response, they're not concerned one way or another if YOU will buy this chair; because, tomorrow somebody else less knowledgeable about the product & line will.

I think the whole bizarre thing is a bit sketchy myself. And honestly, I really don't care for their tone in that reply email. Any savings you'd have on THIS chair isn't worth this. I'd look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-25-2016 at 12:25 PM.

"The deal leather on the 1021 is Alberta Leather, which some dealers buy in quantities of (6) and that would make the $ 1,348 price point make sense. To my knowledge, the Alberta hide (which is a married cover out of China) is not pieced, but I don't sell Alberta in my store because I don't care for the leather - so I cannot say with any degree of certainty."

Last edited by drcollie; 1 Day Ago at 04:03 AM

Mightydog,

Duane did say he wasn't certain about the Alberta Wine leather because he doesn't order it for his store. It is sewn in China, then shipped to NC and put on the frames which are built there. The thing to do IMO is to call H&M - 828-495-8235 - and ask them about your concerns. They can give you the definitive answer if that chair with the promotional leather has seams in the back and sides.