Thread: Sofa Recommendation

Default Sofa Recommendation

Hi, I've been reading the forum for a while and this is my first post.

I'm deciding on a sofa, but none of my local dealers have much to look at on the high end, e.g. Hancock & Moore or Bradington Young. And I've never even seen anything by Leathercraft.
    Here are some things I'm looking for:

1. Comfort - this is my main seating place
    2. about 90" long
    3. very durable for me (200+ lbs)
    4. leather
    5. high back for comfortable head rest
    6. recliner (prefer electric and on both ends)
    7. extending foot rest for my long legs
    8. near 0 wall clearance
    9. prefer a little extra depth for 2 person lounging

How reasonable is that list? It seems that a recliner wouldn't have room for coil springs and 8 way tied, so do reclining sofas sacrifice much in durability?
    Can you give me a model recommendation?

Thanks,
    Howard Rubin
    Last edited by HowardRubin; 04-24-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Default Re: Sofa Recommendation

Hi Howard,

Budget was all you left off! Not knowing where you price points are, the Bradington Young units offer a high quality build for reasonable money (Mid $ 3K depending on leathers). I think the 912 series is the one I like the most of their dual recliner units. If you are willing to spend more (Mid $ 5K) then the Hancock and Moore dual recliner sofas are best in class. The Journey unit is liked by a lot of men.

All will meet your specs, but you won't really find extra-deep recliner sofas, they really would not work well and be awkward to use, and I've not seen anyone making one. Not sure the mechanisms in the industry will accommodate extra depth. No motion furniture of any kind is 8-way hand-tied, that's a stationary suspension only. Dual recliner sofas are fine in durability of you don't abuse them and make sure you CLOSE the recliner before getting out it (many people do not) and don't let teens roughhouse in them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

gary356 Guest

Hello everyone, I am also looking for a similar sofa. Which website that I could go and "shop"? Any recommendations? I am new to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gary356 View Post
    Hello everyone, I am also looking for a similar sofa. Which website that I could go and "shop"? Any recommendations? I am new to this forum.
    I think this is Duane's website:
    http://www.keepingroom.com/

And here are a couple of links
    http://hancockandmoore.com/
    and
    http://www.bradington-young.com/

No prices there though. Happy shopping!!!

- Howard Rubin
    Last edited by HowardRubin; 04-25-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    <snip>
    Hi Duane,
    Thanks for the quick reply. My budget will allow either of those. What about the foot rest? Most sofas I've seen don't extend the footrest, but there are occasional ones that fold out an extension that's normally hidden behind the front skirt. And another type I've seen lengthens the footrest as it moves up.
    - Howard Rubin

Hi everyone,
    I am in the same boat. Any idea if all the seats recline in the journey? Like the style of sundance but arrington was more comfortable to sit. We are not big people but love to take naps on sofa.
    sundance, arrington, austin and city sofa were the only models that are available to in our local store. So based on the arrington preference, any suggestions on similar sofa is really appreciated. Need a reclining unit too. Looks like journey has both stationary and reclining types, and hence leaning towards it and also the length. Loved the Stockholm sofa photos that Mr.Collie has posted. Lacross, westend are few that i liked but not sure about the comfort. Right now looking only at Hancock and Moore but open to ideas.
    Thanks for your time. Hopefully I will able to place an order in the next few weeks and be done with this furniture hunting.
    Regards,
    Rashmi

gary356 Guest

Yeah, there is no pricing on the website u gave. Any average costs

I don't have a list of recliner sofas that have the articulating footrests, sorry. This is one of those things where you have to just KNOW about it as a dealer, even to get that answer out of the customer service reps at the suppliers may take 15 minutes per model inquiry as its not written down anywhere. For this reason, anytime I photo these pieces I try to extend the recliners for the photo shoot so you can see the footrest. If you have a specific model request, then that can be researched and can be discovered, but there is no general database on all models.

To add to this, you really don't want the heels of your foot resting on the footrest, If you do that, it will lock your knees and be uncomfortable = and usually your legs will start to tingle and fall asleep. The better spot is for the footrest to contact your leg in the curvature above your heel, just behind the ankle. (Achilles heel?). That's the most comfortable place. And that of course will be a function of your height and leg length, plus the dimensions of the piece you are looking at. Don't automatically assume you want the longest footrest, that's a common mistake.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane,

You said: "The better spot is for the footrest to contact your leg in the curvature above your heel, just behind the ankle"

How can I order a sofa that fits like you suggest? My local dealers have little to no high quality motion sofas, and flying to North Carolina for H&M and BY factory visits isn't very practical.

Howard Rubin

You have to take a leap of faith unless you car try them out in person. Lots of folks do. Generally speaking - these dual recliners fit well for most all people in the average spectrum, that would be say 5'3" to 6'2". Taller or shorter than that means looking fo a specific fitment.
    Duane Collie