Thread: Keep it quiet.......ssshhhhh!!

Default Keep it quiet.......ssshhhhh!!

I know everyone likes to shop the best deal. Frequently folks buy long distance to save money. That's free market enterprise at work and there is nothing wrong with doing that as a consumer. That can lead to some awkward moments if you've been in your local store and then tell them you bought it from "xxxxxxx" because their prices were so much better. Or ask them to price match and give out the name and address of the low bidder for your order. Because when you do that, as soon as you are off the phone or out of sight, they are calling their manufacturer's sales rep to register a hot complaint and may threaten to stop carrying the product line. This in turn has the manufacturing rep calling the head management at the maker to protest, and then senior managment in turn calls "xxxxxxxx" and tells the discounter he is creating a marketing problem. If there are enough calls that have to made about "XXXXXX", then sooner or later that dealer becomes too much a headache and will either lose their dealership or be 'persuaded' to come up on prices. The end result is that consumer loses the source for good prices on that premium brand.

It's like playing poker, you don't have to show all your cards to win. So when shopping for your best price is to play it close to the vest and be discrete. The boat only rocks so many times before it capsizes....so go ahead and get your best deal, but keep it quiet around your local dealer. And if you use the resources of the local dealer (i.e., go to the showroom to see floor models, get help from their salespeople, check out their samples, etc.), then you really should consider ordering from them instead. Its the right thing to do.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have encountered that in the past on certain items I have bought that should only be sold by authorized Brick and Mortar dealers at a certain price level and when they hear about such a deal they throw a fit.

I can understand some dealers complaining when the price is rock bottom losing money low or barely making a profit but I don't care for dealers trying to make a huge profit. Seeing you're competitive prices on H&M really opened my eyes to how some dealers price things way too high.

True story I go to price out a piece of equipment from two different sources. One is selling it at about 15-25 percent markup, the other is selling at 80-90% markup. The 90% person asks who the heck is pricing it so low and how can they make money doing it yet five minutes later he matches.
    Last edited by Briant73; 06-12-2009 at 03:49 PM.

jchrestman Guest

Good point. I just edited one of my posts to take out anything TOO specific. For example the city I live in, the specific quotes from dealers (rounding to nearest hundreds), and assorted other unnecessary information. I guess the lesson is when referencing other dealers keep it sparse and non-SPECIFIC.
    Regards,
    John

Riddle Guest

I don't object to stores with high markups. Of course, I may purchase elsewhere. What gets my dander up is the game of quoting a ridiculously high price and then "dicounting" it to "our price" which is really just a fairly normal retail price.

dwainw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle View Post
    I don't object to stores with high markups. Of course, I may purchase elsewhere. What gets my dander up is the game of quoting a ridiculously high price and then "dicounting" it to "our price" which is really just a fairly normal retail price.
    Of course it is the manufacturer that sets the 'retail' price on a piece, so if that is what is originally quoted, the dealer is not at fault. However rewriting the retail price to show a larger discount is a practice that will break price representation laws. A little research will help you tell the difference.

As a retailer myself, I understand that customers will buy online to save money -- I do it myself from time to time, particularly if an item is only available locally through a large chain store that provides no after-sale service anyway. But I also understand the value of buying from a dealer that will provide service after the sale. That is why I purchased my new loveseat from Duane. He has a great mix of price vs. service, and he went to greater lengths to educate me and assist me with my purchase than the local dealer would have (or even could have) based on my history with them.

If a customer comes into my store needing service on something he bought online or at the mass merchant across town, they will receive good service. But what gets me is that so many of the 'price shoppers' are often the ones who expect 'preferred customer' status at the local brick-and-mortar, but don't know how to get it. Even though my company has the reputation of offering the best service in town, there will always be those who get premium service because they deserve it, partly based on their purchase history. If you want the benefits of a good relationship with a dealer (in any market), you have to treat it like a relationship from the start. And complaining about how your last business partner (whether it's Boxmart or cheapness.com) gave up their goods at such a low price but didn't want to talk to you the next day is not a way to impress a potential new business partner that has heard it all 1,000,012 times. Bragging how cheap you are doesn't help either.

If you got a great deal, good for you. Just remember that the 'good' is always relative, and 'you' is usually exclusive.