Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another empty living room

PurpleFrog Guest

Default Yet another empty living room

You have no idea how excited I was to find this forum today.
    I thought I'd post my living room before pulling the trigger on a sofa.
    I have considered a sectional (what the kid wants, but he's 16, a junior next year and soon it will just be me), or a sofa and chair. I supposed I could do a sofa/love combo again (current love seat is in the front room), but I prefer chairs. Seating is just for 2, we don't entertain a ton.

I just had wall-to-wall carpeting removed and the floor installed. I need a rug. Badly.
    I just painted (It's Bejamin Moore's Revere Pewter - a warm greige).
    My style (if I had one) is transitional. I love mid-century looking type things.
    My current sofa.... I hate it. I would prefer track or straighter arms this go around, but do like the simplicity of the City. I do like nailhead.

The TV stand, is a cheapy I've had for 16ish years (yikes!). I'm looking to replace that now.

I'm thinking a dark leather would make things too dark and disappear with the dark floor, so was thinking something lighter. I do like grey/taupe leather.

The ugly chair stays and has to be plugged in (for now). The tables I don't love, but didn't have plans to replace at this time.

I used to have the sofa against the long empty wall, but that left the traffic pattern to go out the back going in front of the sofa and the coffee table (currently in the garage). And the TV was on the opposite side of the wall. So traffic was always in front of the TV. If that's the best setup I can go back to that.

Room is approx 16 x 18. I am open to any and all suggestions.

I like color - you'd probably never know that from my current room. I would LOVE that purple chair from the Spring show that Duane compared to a Popsicle - lol. Like love, love. I'll have to go get a pic of it and post it here. I'd love that leather on the French Curve Tufted chair. Sigh.

That room you see in one of the pics off the living room - my bedroom. It's as empty as the rest of the house. You'd never know I've lived here for going on 14 years.

PurpleFrog Guest

Default Re: Yet another empty living room

Tough layout in that room. It is hard to tell from the pictures but have you thought about putting the sofa against the wall with the windows, have a chair where the current sofa is but a little further back toward the dining room, and then wall-mount the TV on the long wall that is by the front door? Any other arrangement you are basically losing the 4-5 feet to maintain a 'hallway' from the front door to the rest of the house, and I think it would look better than the reversed position you used to have as you wouldn't have to walk around the couch and it maintains more of a sight-line from the front to the back.

PurpleFrog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    Tough layout in that room. It is hard to tell from the pictures but have you thought about putting the sofa against the wall with the windows, have a chair where the current sofa is but a little further back toward the dining room, and then wall-mount the TV on the long wall that is by the front door? Any other arrangement you are basically losing the 4-5 feet to maintain a 'hallway' from the front door to the rest of the house, and I think it would look better than the reversed position you used to have as you wouldn't have to walk around the couch and it maintains more of a sight-line from the front to the back.
    I have thought of doing that. Thank you.
    I don't have cable so the TV can go anywhere in the room. I should have mentioned that.
    I really hate the current straight line from front door to back door that I have going on. It looks like a bowling alley.
    That's the back door, but the door we use all the time to let the critters in and out.

I'm hating all of it at the moment. It doesn't feel "homey" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    PurpleFrog,

You did a super job providing information. I agree with Danw99's suggestion. Sometimes, if one plays along with a disliked feature (i.e., straight shot from front to back door), it works. Or, if you really, really hate it, what do you think about getting a rug that is large enough that the side running parallel to the tv wall (as suggested by Danw99) would land in the font-to-back-door "hallway"? Maybe that would sort of eliminate that "hallway" illusion? Or, maybe use a very narrow, long sideboard/table placed underneath the tv on that tv wall?

You've used a lovely wall color and installed good-looking, warm flooring! Good choices and a terrific start! Additionally, you've joined this forum where you'll find lots of friendly and helpful members. I know Duane likely will chime in because he's very, very experienced with which pieces work in spaces of all manner of sizes and shapes.

TXCajun

You have to work with what you have....a couple of thoughts:

A sectional is the cost of two sofas pretty much. I don't see it in that room, it will be too large and look jammed. Plus a sofa and chair will cost less money so you can buy an area rug for the floor - and you NEED a rug in there to define the space and cozy up the room. Keep the rug smaller so as to preserve the walkway to the sliding glass door - that's going to be an alley per se. Single sofa and a swivel chair will work well. In fact, you can even make do with a loveseat instead of a sofa as it will make the space less crowded. I'd put the TV over the fireplace, and get a dual recliner power loveseat myself. Where you have the TV is less than ideal, because it covers the window and always has some glare behind it. Your long wall in the walkway would benefit from some wall tile mirrors on it - something to consider. That would visually open the room through the mirror effect.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jenny Guest

Welcome to the forum! I actually really the structure of that room. I also have the "bowling alley" problem in my place, so I know how hard furniture arrangements can be.

A few things I wanted to say:

1. Please don't go with what your son wants if you want something different. Sectionals are great for teenagers to do plenty of things on , not all of which you'd necessary want on your furniture. As you said, he'll be gone to college in a year or two, but you'll be living with your furniture for the next 10 years. A traditional leather sectional would be way too big for your space. You could try some of those apartment sized mid-modern ones they are selling at stores like Room and Board these days for a better scale.

2. I agree with Duane about putting the TV over the fireplace. Console tables/media stands are very much a thing of the past these days, especially if you don't have cable. If you're concerned about the angle of that wall, you can always get a pivoting wall mount so that the TV faces you when you're watching it.

3. Either a grey or white sofa would work well in your room. I also think it would look really nice with fabric upholstery instead of leather.

4. Unsolicited but your room looks pretty dark in the photos. You could really soften it well by removing the blinds and using soft light drapes hung as close as possible to the ceiling.

PurpleFrog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I actually really the structure of that room. I also have the "bowling alley" problem in my place, so I know how hard furniture arrangements can be.

A few things I wanted to say:

1. Please don't go with what your son wants if you want something different. Sectionals are great for teenagers to do plenty of things on , not all of which you'd necessary want on your furniture. As you said, he'll be gone to college in a year or two, but you'll be living with your furniture for the next 10 years. A traditional leather sectional would be way too big for your space. You could try some of those apartment sized mid-modern ones they are selling at stores like Room and Board these days for a better scale.

4. Unsolicited but your room looks pretty dark in the photos. You could really soften it well by removing the blinds and using soft light drapes hung as close as possible to the ceiling.
    This made me laugh.
    And kinda want to puke.

It was dark in there yesterday, because it's been raining for a week. It usually really isn't. I might be ready for some curtains. I hadn't up to this point because I had three cats, but I am down to the old man you see in the photos.

PurpleFrog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You have to work with what you have....a couple of thoughts:

A sectional is the cost of two sofas pretty much. I don't see it in that room, it will be too large and look jammed. Plus a sofa and chair will cost less money so you can buy an area rug for the floor - and you NEED a rug in there to define the space and cozy up the room. Keep the rug smaller so as to preserve the walkway to the sliding glass door - that's going to be an alley per se. Single sofa and a swivel chair will work well. In fact, you can even make do with a loveseat instead of a sofa as it will make the space less crowded. I'd put the TV over the fireplace, and get a dual recliner power loveseat myself. Where you have the TV is less than ideal, because it covers the window and always has some glare behind it. Your long wall in the walkway would benefit from some wall tile mirrors on it - something to consider. That would visually open the room through the mirror effect.
    A swivel chair. I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to go browse the site and see what's what. Any recommendations off the top of your head?
    What about leather colors?

I had also thought about just a reclining love and I like that idea! I really liked that gray BY that you have. However, I wonder if that would be too much grey considering the walls are grey(ish).

I've thought about putting the TV over the fire place since I moved in. I should go ahead and do that.

Also, like the idea of a wall of mirrors.

Thanks for the suggestions!

PurpleFrog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    PurpleFrog,

You did a super job providing information. I agree with Danw99's suggestion. Sometimes, if one plays along with a disliked feature (i.e., straight shot from front to back door), it works. Or, if you really, really hate it, what do you think about getting a rug that is large enough that the side running parallel to the tv wall (as suggested by Danw99) would land in the font-to-back-door "hallway"? Maybe that would sort of eliminate that "hallway" illusion? Or, maybe use a very narrow, long sideboard/table placed underneath the tv on that tv wall?

You've used a lovely wall color and installed good-looking, warm flooring! Good choices and a terrific start! Additionally, you've joined this forum where you'll find lots of friendly and helpful members. I know Duane likely will chime in because he's very, very experienced with which pieces work in spaces of all manner of sizes and shapes.

TXCajun
    Hi!
    I see you're from the Hill Country. I am originally from SA. I miss it down there. I'm in North Texas now.
    I do like the idea of a narrow long console and something "arty" above it for that wall.

Thank you, I am loving the wall color. Paint is something else I anguish over. I usually end up regretting my choice, but not this time.