Thread: Sherrill v. H & M

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Sherrill v. H & M

I have a question about Sherrill v. Hancock & Moore sofas/loveseats. We've decided to forego looking for something on Craigslist and just save to purchase the piece we really want.

My question is, since we will be purchasing a fabric rather than leather sofa, would Sherrill be a good choice? Or would you still recommend H&M?

For example, I found this Sherrill loveseat (photo attached) at a local furniture store. They want $1900 + tax + shipping. Is it worth it? Or would I get a better quality piece, for just a bit more money, from H&M? I've looked at the H&M catalogue, which I ordered, and there are pieces in there that I like just as well as the Sherrill.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	346  

Nice looking Loveseat! I'd have to say that comparing Sherrill to H&M is difficult, as Sherrill makes a fine product. At that level of workmanship (on both brands) you are going to get a very nice, long-lasting piece. I'd have to say get the style that pleases you the most as you can't go wrong with either maker.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks, Duane: that really helps simplify my search. When the time comes, I will make a decision between one of these two manufacturers.

Riddle Guest

I had a Sherrill sofa that held up well for about 9-10 years. By year 11 when I was trying to decide between reuholstering or buying a new sofa, my upholsterer said that the sag in the spring deck could not be repaired. She thought that reupholstering was a poor used of my money. It's now time to replace the replacement for that sofa. I haven't been thrilled with the Sherrill sofas I've sat on. They don't feel as sturdy as my previous Sherrill or my current Henredon. I've really liked the Hancock and Moore sofas I've tried. Most aren't what I want personally for one reason or another, but each one was well-made and felt solid. If I found a style I liked within my budget, I'd definitely pick the Hancock and Moore.

Sarah Guest

One of my local stores sells both H&M and Sherrill. Both are great products but the sales rep I spoke w/ gave a slight preference toward H&M. She does own both in her home though & is satisfied w/ each of the products.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks Riddle and Sarah. Looks like the H&M have a slight edge--I just have to find a retailer in our area, and I've written to H&M for that information but haven't yet heard back from them.

Sarah: I can't seem to find my other "sofa search" thread to which you graciously responded. But just wanted to let you know that with regards to our current sofa and all its "pilling" I was complaining about: I ordered one of those "fabric shavers" off ebay (by Remington) and it did an amazing job at cleaning up all the pills and pulls from the sofa. The sofa cushions look almost new again. I can now live with this sofa much more comfortably until I eventually purchase "the one." Thanks again for all your good feedback on that thread.

H&M is not good at responding to email requests for location of your nearest dealer. It can take weeks to get something back. Better to call direct: 828-495-8235. They will give you a maximum of two dealers in your area per call.

Pilling is evident in a lot of man-made fabrics such as those made of acrylic, nylon and polyester. Also, poor quality cotton will pill. To some degree the tightness of the weave will be a factor as well. Tightly woven blends will resist pilling the best.

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.