Thread: Supervision of Chinese Tanneries

mrcd Guest

Default Supervision of Chinese Tanneries

Duane,
    Do you know if the Chinese tanneries that produce Document and Cavalier are under control of HM? I have safety concerns about Chinese products. However, if these plants are under HM control/supervision and they are simply taking advantage of less expensive labor then maybe not an issue.
    Thanks

They are not under H&M's control in the least. In fact, the leathers that H&M calls "Document" and "Cavalier" are sold to many leather upholstery makers and will be called different names by various makers. Leathercraft and Bradington Young buy it and have it in their lines under a different name, for example.

I cannot tell you how safe or unsafe any leather might be. I know that the processing of leather is nasty business, and active carcinogens are used. There are international tannery standards to be followed, not only for protection for the consumer but also for the tannery workers and those in the community. Tanneries use thousands of gallons of water a day, and can be a major industrial polluter if not properly controlled. For example, here is one standard for wastewater disposal:

http://appcb.ap.nic.in/Env-Standards...itop/lga65.htm

I'm not into the business at the tannery distributor level to be able to say with any degree of certainty that a particular hide series is safer than another, but based on what we as consumers have seen coming out a of China the past few years I think its a sure bet that a leather from Italy or Germany or the USA is more apt to be 'safer' than anything coming from Asian countries.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mrcd Guest

Thanks for your input. I can't bring a Chinese leather into my home. How do I go about getting swatches of particular leathers, such as antelope? Wife went with me to see the Sundance. I think I can get same seating effect, if not more, from a large sofa and large chair, instead of a normal sized sofa and loveseat. I know Sundance doesn't have a loveseat.
    Manny

Hi Manny,

Just PM (private message) me here on the forum with your mailing address and I can get you samples of leathers, just give me a general color range and I'll have 10 to 12 sent out to you for starters, and we'll stay in European/Canadian/USA hides.

Agreed, a sofa with chair/ottoman can work just as well if not better than sofa/loveseat, just depends on your room layout more than anything. Pricewise, about the same (assuming chair/ottoman replaces a loveseat).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.